Display heating

Emil Varughese

Members
Apr 23, 2013
I bought the xiaomi Mi2 32GB about a month back and since day 1 i have noticed that if the display has been on for more than 10 mins it starts to warm up, even with moderate usage such as a phone calls etc.

All this is only when the display is on. My question is, is this an issue with the hardware or is it a software issue?

The display heats a lot if exposed to sun or under heavy processor usage by applications. You can use a battery widget to monitor phone temperature, if you do so you'll notice that temperature rises a lot under some conditions. The performance settings can also influence this, so power saving mode will prevent the phone from heating too much if the cause is high processor usage, but won't help if the cause is sunlight. The display is usually the hottest part of this device, so what you are experiencing is completely normal.

Its a phone feature to heat up your hands in the winter... :)

Well display is not heating itself. It just conducts heat from internals. And internal hardware heats because of running applications. Check battery history menu to see if some process uses unusual amount of energy. Its called battery drain by app or process. You can also install BetterBatteryStats to check some kernel wakelocks

I forgot: 3G tends to heat the phone if on low reception and transferring high amounts of data. Phone calls can be battery hogs too.

I am not using any processor intesive programs just the standard apps, like whatsapp, messaging, play store n contacts.

Well display is not heating itself. It just conducts heat from internals. And internal hardware heats because of running applications.

to be precise the bottom half of the screen is heating up, as Acid mentioned it could be cause of it conducting heat from the internals.
I did think that it could be an issue with 3g being on 24x7, so I switched to 2G yesterday but found no change. What i will do today is after i am done downloading the new rom, i will flash my data n install only Whatsapp ( as i use it frequently) and report the result.

Going a little off topic here: i found a tiny bug in the rom [3.4.19] where in if you go to

settings -> status bar -> enable Show screenshot info [ it will not show the info in the statusbar, whereas if u disable it you will ]

I did not want to create a new thread just to report this silly issue, so i was wondering if someone could point out the where it should be reported