Do you still need to manually enable encryption when moving from stock to xiaomi.eu?

• Thread starter Deleted member 226200
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 226200

When I first installed the xiaomi.eu ROM on my Mi Mix 2S ~2 years ago, I had to manually edit the fstab.qcom file to enable FBE, and then copy it back every time I updated.
Now I have a Mi 10, and I'll flash the ROM again as soon as the wait time for unlocking reaches 0. But, do I still need to manually edit the file, or does it do that automatically now?

You don't need to edit the fstab file, encryption is enabled by default on all recent xiaomi.eu ROMs. ;)

Dear Pony,
if hope it's okay to ask a question in this thread.
I would like to ask if that is also true if my Mi8 (v.12.5) said in the settings that encryption is not active? (Is there a way for me to test if my device is really encrypted?)

Thank you very much and kind regards
Bob

Dear Pony,
if hope it's okay to ask a question in this thread.
I would like to ask if that is also true if my Mi8 (v.12.5) said in the settings that encryption is not active? (Is there a way for me to test if my device is really encrypted?)

Thank you very much and kind regards
Bob
Hello Bob,

If encryption is "not active" in settings, then it's not enabled. ;)

I know some TWRP may automatically disable encryption after ROM installation (when these TWRP don't support encryption).

But I don't know how you can encrypt /data partition without formatting (and without issue)...

Reactions: undefined
Hello Bob,

If encryption is "not active" in settings, then it's not enabled. ;)

I know some TWRP may automatically disable encryption after ROM installation (when these TWRP don't support encryption).

But I don't know how you can encrypt /data partition without formatting (and without issue)...

Hello Poney70,

first I would like to thank you for your answer, that's really kind.

Oh yes, that sounds logical. I just thought maybe it's a display bug or something.

Okay, I think I'll try to update my twrp. Try to make a full backup and then try to enable encryption via settings. I'm going to use a twrp from the LR.team by wzsx150.

It's just, I'm pretty cautious not trying to break something.
Do you may have some further useful tips for me?

Kind regards
Bob

Hello,

i hope it's ok to post here almost a year after the last reply but i am not able to find a recent answer to my question.

To access my company's teams and outlook i need to install Microsoft Company Portal. During the installation i was prompted to encrypt my phone which made my curious cause i thought my phone was already encrypted :)

A few months back i installed the xiaomi.eu 12.5 MIUI ROM for my MI 8 (dipper) (unlocked bootloader, no root) and since then the phone was not encrypted. I am not sure what i should have done to encrypt it while installing the ROM.

What would be the safest way to encrypt my phone? I dont mind losing all my data if it is required. I already got the newest TWRP running (3.6.2_9.0). All i could find where answers from 2018-2020 where the suggested action is to edit fstab, which is obsolete based on the first replay here in the thread.

Thanks for your help!