Do you think MIUI should go open-source?

Should MIUI go open?

• Total voters
Open source to allow more customization, but they should keep turning out the official product (Like Cyanogenmod and stock Android) so we have a offical feel, with a touch from the community. Also I think HTC is somewhat doing it with the sense sdk.

I would LOVE to see MIUI be open source so we could all chip in and make some great contributions to the MIUI world. It would also generate more support to other phones that are currently waiting for a port to their phones also. I have a Motorola Droid 2 and it is killing me to see there is no MIUI support for my phone yet. I'm waiting patiently but with it going open source, it would speed up the progress a lots quicker and enable most of us to be able to port it over or do some customizations to it.

For replies I think we need something more than this thread.. something like miui.com thread, naturally on chinese :]

I would rather see many of MIUI improvements implemented into AOSP. I think because they have taken an opportunity made available by opensource software doesn't mean they necessarily have to share back (except the kernel) but they are obviously passionate about Android and excellent UX so they should contribute back upstream. Although I don't think opensourcing the whole project is feasible here. MIUI is special in its closed source community built/supported nature.

I'd like to have MIUI open source, yes. But I also respect the devs who have done SO much work to create MIUI. If their plan is to build up the product / company / whatever, and sell it ... good luck to them! As I user, I'm somewhat worried that perhaps in the future, there will be no more builds for my hardware because if the codebase is bought by a hardware manufacturer. I guess in that case I'd go to Cyanogen.

As for the comment about android being open-source ... technically, parts of it are open-source. There are other parts that aren't ( hardware drivers for example ). And I get the distinct feeling that Google set out to make a product that was NOT compatible with linux for a reason. Why, for example, is it not POSIX compliant? That sucks. If you're looking for an open-source distro for your phone, check out MeeGo. Yeah, it's nowhere near Android in completeness yet. But let's not pretend Android is really open-source.

Open sourcing MIUI would go a long way in restoring trust from a product that does come from one of the most totalitarian countries in the world with a government that tends to get its nose involved in any significant or interesting tech project.

It has been been brought up time and time again, elsewhere, that since MIUI is a Chinese tech-related project that politics is unfortunately tied in or will get tied in eventually because companies are setup differently there. In fact MIUI China also offers cloud backup and application hosting which isn't exactly cheap with no guarantees of privacy on their servers. Worse, the MIUI Dev team seems to either have a sizeable team that are working on it privately, with incredible releases weekly for an entire year, all pro-bono for a closed source system.

You can imagine why, even though I'm a huge MIUI fanboy, that it is difficult to convince others in the tech community to give it a try. Many professionals or privacy enthusiasts thus wont give MIUI a chance out of security concerns or fears that there could be a backdoor given previous scandals in China.

In the end, open sourcing MIUI fully would definitely go a long way in restoring trust and actually bringing this amazing achievement out, improving what people might think of China's image as well as showing that Chinese devs are capable of going through a beautiful, creative, and amazing tech project without being marred by controversy like so many other projects have.

Danny - I haven't seen the announcement that MIUI was going open source. Could you please link?

Dkasak - Google Android has certain applications of it's own that aren't open source such as the Google Market, along with drivers that haven't been open sourced is an issue on the part of the phone manufacturer (lookin' at you Samsung!) and not Google. The vast majority of Android OS is open source and one could easily port a copy over to their own device. However, I think you may be referring to Matt Porter's 'Mythbuster's Android' presentation at the Embedded Linux Conference Europe that as embedded devices go, Android is not really a true traditional Linux implementation and is missing a lot that Linux devs take for granted. Android definitely needs a lot of work in that area before it can really be accepted by the vast majority of Linux developers.

Open sourcing MIUI would go a long way in restoring trust from a product that does come from one of the most totalitarian countries in the world with a government that tends to get its nose involved in any significant or interesting tech project..

Pot calling kettle Black. The USA is very corrupt and totalitarian, with many private companies either doing its bidding or working secretly or openly with it. I say this as a Westerner. Look at the Guantanamo bay US Gulag, for example. And VISA and the others doing the governments bidding regularly.

I don't think they need to go open source. MIUI is already based on AOSP (Android OPEN SOURCE Project). They have great themeing capabilities and turn out very regular updates. With their phone coming out they will grow a lot. I like the fact that they are not open source because it allows them to be completely in control, which can be a good thing. Anyways, because its Android you can still do a ton with it and there is already CyanogenMod for a great open source ROM. Let's see how they do not being open source. In a way it adds more variety to Android that way, which is always good.
I think that what they really need to do is grow and branch out more, have a completely English version, and more official support for phones.