Does CN version change available bands when installing EU ROM?

Beerit's Pet

Members
Mar 12, 2021
CN version doesn't support any 5g band in the US. Wondering if this is a hardware or software thing; will flashing the globa/EU ROM make different bands available?

Thanks.

No you mean it's a hardware difference, yes? Thank you.

Many are selling the CN version as 5G enabled in the US...

No you mean it's a hardware difference, yes? Thank you.

Many are selling the CN version as 5G enabled in the US...
No doesn't necessary mean the hardware difference. On the official Xiaomi site is stated that MI11 supports 5G: n1, n3, n5, n7, n8, n20, n28, n38, n41, n77, n78, n7, but frequencies are regional enabled.

And as we all know Qualcomm's modem has capacity to cover even more.

I remember from the past that good hackers could change modem settings and enabled more frequencies when they had hardware support.

But right now as the things are arranged the difference between global and Chinese as far as US 5g is concerned is in only one frequency (N5) on which ATT and its subsidiaries operates. Chinese model still supports N41 - Sprint (supported as well on the global) on which operates T-Mobile . Therefore, it is not like Chinese Mi 11 doesn't work on US 5g at all.

Sorry for persisting, but I want to be 100% clear since I have a CN version and want to know if I can n5 it -
Does it simply not have the hardware, or will flashing another ROM (+ some tinkering?) allow n5 to operate?

Thank you!

Sorry for persisting, but I want to be 100% clear since I have a CN version and want to know if I can n5 it -
Does it simply not have the hardware, or will flashing another ROM (+ some tinkering?) allow n5 to operate?

Thank you!

Why don't you check with your operator since you have the phone already? As I said I believe there is no reason that Xiaomi would publish wrong information about supported frequencies. Besides, it is rather a matter of Qualcomm modem, and we have every reason to believe that it covers a large specter of 5g bands. Because it was not made only for China.
Another question is what frequencies are enabled on certain MI11 model. And there is Kimovil with the reliable information.
Hence, the hardware of every MI11 likely goes even beyond n5 5g band. Because all have the same modem. But right now are more bands disabled than enabled. Why? I believe that every frequency must be approved in every country (territory) by respective telecommunication authorities. Being wasted in that case could cost dearly for nothing because there is not a lot 5g around yet.
Therefore, enabling other bands otherwise supported by hardware on the certain phone demands flashing the new baseband /modem. And that is no joke. Because NON-HLOS.bin contains a lot of settings (all radios and their options and adjustments) that you don't want to screw. We don't even have a custom recovery yet. One mistake could turn the phone to a local playstation without any communication. Better waiting for an expert when the time comes.

Phone isn't unlocked yet and there's no 5g around me ATM, so can't check. I need to know if to return it.
To tell you the truth I don't believe that Chinese M11 will ever officially support n5 band. It was meant for Asia, they have the global model with n5. I can't tell if there will be someone to try changing the baseband of the phone, it's demanding and not very common these days. So I guess if you want to have 5g (even if there is none around yet as you said) better go with the global MI11, change provider to Tmobile or its subsidiaries or buy something more appropriate (Pixel?).

So the global ROM will NOT enable n5 on the CN phone, you think?
Modem is a part of the global rom flash, that's true. I had it installed, but I couldn't really try different 5g because I don't have them anywhere near. So I don't know if flash changes frequencies, usually doesn't.

But I don't think this is the most decisive question. Ask yourself what do you expect of the phone and how long you wanna keep it. Chinese MI11 with the EU rom has many advantages over global, you can read more about it here:

Because right now, as you found yourself 5g is nowhere to be completed, it's rather in the initial phase. And n5 of AT&T is not a real achievement, lower bands are good for huge territory coverage, but they lack broadband. As in Europe also in the USA ongoing auctions for more 5g bands are taking place. Mm bands which was primary concern of Verizon and AT&T in past period suits more future sophisticated technologies than needs of ordinary citizen. In order to compete T-mobile with 5g in that segment AT&T and Verizon recently acquired large specters in C-band. AT&T plans to have its first broadband and fast network in C-band this year and completed it in 2024, Verizon intends to have complete coverage by 2013. More about this here: https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/at-t-to-spend-up-to-8b-c-band-deployment and here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/verizon-more-than-doubles-mid-band-spectrum-for-5g/

And 5g C-band is totally covered with both Chinese and global MI11.

I hope I helped you to take the right decision.

Thank you. Currently I'm stuck not being able to unlock the phone; the MI Unlock software doesn't recognize my phone when it's in fastboot mode.
Device Manager shows a connected but yellow exclamation mark "Android Device" even though I installed the drivers (windows 10).

I think it's just that my account ID that I registered with my phone number doesn't match the phone account ID as shown in the "Mi Account ID" field under Personal Info. I can't find a way to change this.

Edit: I changed it and it still doesn't connect. Sigh.
Is this a known issue? USB connects well when the phone is on and I can see files etc. I went through the guide and allowed all the relevant USB options.

Last edited:
Thank you. Currently I'm stuck not being able to unlock the phone; the MI Unlock software doesn't recognize my phone when it's in fastboot mode.
Device Manager shows a connected but yellow exclamation mark "Android Device" even though I installed the drivers (windows 10).

I think it's just that my account ID that I registered with my phone number doesn't match the phone account ID as shown in the "Mi Account ID" field under Personal Info. I can't find a way to change this.

Is this a known issue? USB connects well when the phone is on and I can see files etc. I went through the guide and allowed all the relevant USB options.

Please excuse my English. I am using translate It is not an account problem but of the driver I had the same problem yesterday which I solved after installing the miui adb drivers

Link: https://mega.nz/file/ujZijKrT#gHPB7KA_GZQPLUlSH0Yzo1oXPio8NIc0oCxgjXGqbKI

Last edited:
Also, use the forget usb authorisations. Might help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_085056.jpg
    IMG_20210318_085056.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20210318_085111.jpg
    IMG_20210318_085111.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 270

Try other USB cables, I had the same issue and the cable was the source, after I tried a different one it worked