Enable Mobile Data while connected via Wifi (Xiaomi / Android Auto Wireless Problem)

dacoco

Members
Jan 11, 2018
Hi there,

i would like to use Android Auto Wireless which is slowely rolled out at the moment.
First only Google Pixel phones could do it, now Samsung phones are certified too.
In theory it could work with every Pie (Android 9) device.

I bought a new Kenwood Headunit for my car and it works after enabling it in the developer options - BUT - without internet connection.

The phone automatically connects to the headunit's wifi and that's it. No internet available. Of course the headunit doesn't provide internet and wifi is just used for the connection.

My phone is a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 with MIUI11 (ROOTED) and Android 9.
Google Play Services: current beta (19.4.20)
Headunit Kenwood DMX8019DAB

How can i force the phone to use mobile data when connected to the headunits wifi?

Thanks

@dacoco are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the DDX9704S receiver thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

I flashed Google Pixel ROM on my Max3 and it worked. On miui it isn't possible - unfortunately.

Now I use a OnePlus phone and it works too. But Xiaomi needs to address this issue in miui.

About the Kenwood. I'm very happy with my unit but i don't know the model you mentioned. Maybe it is for another market (I am from Germany)

I flashed Google Pixel ROM on my Max3 and it worked. On miui it isn't possible - unfortunately.

Now I use a OnePlus phone and it works too. But Xiaomi needs to address this issue in miui.
Hm... I tried it too, but it has no face unlock and camera is much worse...
Did you tried other non official firmware? Ive seen a couple also based on Pixel (havoc) ...

Hi there,

i would like to use Android Auto Wireless which is slowely rolled out at the moment.
First only Google Pixel phones could do it, now Samsung phones are certified too.

I bought a new Kenwood Headunit for my car and it works after enabling it in the developer options - BUT - without internet connection.

The phone automatically connects to the headunit's wifi and that's it. No internet available. Of course the headunit doesn't provide internet and wifi is just used for the connection.

How can i force the phone to use mobile data when connected to the headunits wifi?

Thanks
Hi dacoco,

I'm currently using havoc specifically to be able to use wireless android auto, but would like to try miui eu. Do you know if this feature has now been implemented? Or should I stay with havoc so I can be connected to WiFi but use mobile data.

Thanks

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

I don't think so but I can't test it because I use a OnePlus device now. Maybe on android 10 and miui 11 they changed something. But let me know if you know it.

Reactions: Marshy33
I don't think so but I can't test it because I use a OnePlus device now. Maybe on android 10 and miui 11 they changed something. But let me know if you know it.

Hi dacoco,

I'm currently using havoc specifically to be able to use wireless android auto, but would like to try miui eu. Do you know if this feature has now been implemented? Or should I stay with havoc so I can be connected to WiFi but use mobile data.

Thanks

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
No, it isn't working. (Miui EU the latest betta on mi8)
And it seems the reason is android 10, since on havoc it didn't work for me.
So I get back to Android 9 and to lineageOS 16, it works fine now.

Reactions: Marshy33
Any update to this or anyone find a way to make this work with MIUI? I have a Redmi Note 9 Pro and am having the same issue and I can't seem to find any setting that can get around this.

Hi there,

Thanks

Hi… i dont have this unit and cant test it.

But in the developer options you can choose "mobile data always active" although there is a wifi connection.

Perhaps this option can help?

Hi… i dont have this unit and cant test it.

But in the developer options you can choose "mobile data always active" although there is a wifi connection.

Perhaps this option can help?

The "mobile data always active" developer option does not help, at least for me.

• Sad
Reactions: katerpanne