extreme download traffic

Axi

Members
Sep 30, 2011
I have installed miui 1.9.23 on 29th of September on my Nexus S. Since 1st of october every day the phone has downloaded over 200 MB so that I exceeded my download volumne yesterday and I have costs of € 15,-- :(
I don't have very traffic intensiv apps on my phone so i think that there is a problem with miui - maybe the updater. But if I take a look on the settings "Check for updates only using Wi-Fi" is on.
Is there a possibility to see what app is downloading so much? Or is it miui?
Thanks for your help!
©a-x-i

Exactly the same problem! Today even 350MB! According to the Monitor, the app responsible for this huge download traffic is the Download Manager. But I couldn't find what is being downloaded or where. Luckily for me, my carrier for some reason didn't count this data, I checked the status on its website and it looks like nothing was downloaded. However the battery suffers from this a lot and the whole phone is heating which is kind of strange. I solved it by cutting off the Download Manager from internet access, at least on mobile network. But whenever I'm connected via Wifi, it's still downloading some data...

Btw. my phone is also Nexus S and yesterdey I updated manually to the latest version of MIUI (OTA also stopped working) but the problem persists.

There is a link to a fix for this problem in the thread below:

http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?10571-Excessive-Traffic

I had the same problem, luckily in the end I had used a lot less data than I usually do in a typical month so it has only cost me £5 more. When I looked at the data usage on my bill, I had lots of downloads of 2.9mb within a few minutes of other. You can blow through 200mb in about 30 mins. I'm not impressed at all.

Sent from my Nexus S using the miuiandroid.com forum app

So the clean reinstall of the rom is the only solution? I've never done this before, if I use the MIUI Backup tool, will I get the phone to the precise state where it was before wipe?

Btw. although my carrier (T-Mobile CZ) is well known for its absurd high prices, one thing is good about it - it doesn't count Android updates to the data limit. I guess they have some kind of deal with Google or maybe it's just a bug :D However it has saved me once already and now again.

So the clean reinstall of the rom is the only solution? I've never done this before, if I use the MIUI Backup tool, will I get the phone to the precise state where it was before wipe?

Btw. although my carrier (T-Mobile CZ) is well known for its absurd high prices, one thing is good about it - it doesn't count Android updates to the data limit. I guess they have some kind of deal with Google or maybe it's just a bug :D However it has saved me once already and now again.

You don't need to do a fresh install, just make the changes shown in the xda link. The build prop file is located in the system directory and is a text file. Use root explorer (or similar) to comment out the two lines by adding '#' at the start of each line:

Change ...

ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys

to:

#ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.4 GRJ22 121341 release-keys

#ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys

The issue will then be fixed :)

Sent from my Google Nexus S using the miuiandroid.com forum app

I'm sorry, I didn't see that, I scrolled directly to the bottom of the thread assuming that the solution would be there :) Thank you.

Thank you for your answers.
I'm just wondering, why this 'bug' isn't fixed with version 1.9.30 :-(
Just a little additional question:
I don't see any system-folder with my windows pc. Am I doing right with these steps:
first I unpacked the build.prop from the update-package and changed the lines mentioned above.
Then:
adb remount
adb push build.prop /system/
adb reboot

Thanks again for your help
©a-x-i

I find using some root explorer much easier, in my case ES File Explorer did the job very well. Just install it using Android Market, then in the settings enable root access and rw mounting of system partition. Then go to /system folder (I had to change the home directory to /) then open build.prop with built-in editor, comment the two lines, save and reboot. No more huge traffic :)

Is this fixed yet? For some reason, I can't see build.prop from any file manager with MIUI installed. If I use CM7, it is there...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I've just downloaded the new rom 1.10.8 and there the two lines in build.prop are changed to:
ro.build.description=soju-user 2.3.6 GRK39F 189904 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.6/GRK39F/189904:user/release-keys

So it seems to be fixed in this version!
that's it...
©a-x-i