Format Data Vs Wipe Data

Psicopato

Members
May 30, 2017
Hi guys

Noob question...

im running the last Miui 11 weekly EU build (23.03.20) but my phone (Dipper) is consuming way to much battery and after 2 years dirty flashing on a weekly basis I think its time to perform a clean flash but im not entirely sure if I fully understand the TWRP options to do so, namely the "Format data" and the "Wipe Data" options

Whats the difference between Format and Wipe Data and which one should I pick for a clean install purpose?
I read somewhere that I should absolutely NOT "wipe" the data but I dont know why.
By the way, is it mandatory for a clean install to Wipe the internal storage too?

Please help me before I brick my phone by doing something stupid.

Thanks in advance and stay safe guys!!

Both methods are deleting your data partition.
But only format will also delete the encryption of the data partition.
A clean installation always deletes your internal storage.
And for a clean install formating data is always nessesary!

Hi guys

Noob question...

im running the last Miui 11 weekly EU build (23.03.20) but my phone (Dipper) is consuming way to much battery and after 2 years dirty flashing on a weekly basis I think its time to perform a clean flash but im not entirely sure if I fully understand the TWRP options to do so, namely the "Format data" and the "Wipe Data" options

Whats the difference between Format and Wipe Data and which one should I pick for a clean install purpose?
I read somewhere that I should absolutely NOT "wipe" the data but I dont know why.
By the way, is it mandatory for a clean install to Wipe the internal storage too?

Please help me before I brick my phone by doing something stupid.

Thanks in advance and stay safe guys!!

A wipe just deletes everything in the partition, so if it's encrypted and it opens it up without decrypting, all it does is delete the encrypted contents, a format deletes the partition and makes a new one, which is what is necessary.

Thanks for your replies guys.

So just to be sure that i doing it correctly:

TWRP menu:

Wipe - Format Data (ignore factory reset?)

Then:

Advance Wipe - select Davik, cache, System and Data

After that just need to flash the new rom is that it?

No.
Never wipe system!
No need to wipe anything after format data.
Everything is already deleted.
Format, reboot into TWRP, copy and install the ROM.
That's it!
Thanks YeepYeep ;)

How about Factory Reset? Whats this option for?

No.
Never wipe system!
No need to wipe anything after format data.
Everything is already deleted.
Format, reboot into TWRP, copy and install the ROM.
That's it!
Mmm, I think I wiped system . Is it a problem?. I installed xiaomi.eu.for the first time and all is working ok .
Thanks

Enviado desde mi Redmi K20 Pro mediante Tapatalk