Global vs China

Using sika524's QuickShortcutMaker, I can get this band selection page:
Screenshot_2023-10-17-12-28-54-588_com.android.phone.jpg
No idea if this is just a static list or actually supported band list. Cannot try without having an operator using that particular band.

So one more time and for the last time. Band support is limited by HW and cannot be accessed by any SW. In 12 years, no one has succeeded.
You are speculating unnecessarily.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/how-to-get-4g-supported-ca-combinations-from-your-android-phone/
With this method you can see all bands and CA combos supported by your phone hardware, and modify the carrier_policy.xml with QPST to fit your carrier, I've mod this with oneplus and work well, but this only let you see the bands and adjust combos, supported bands still by hardware , I haven't check with my Chinese model so don't know which bands supported by hardware, my carrier's LTE use 1,3,7,8 all supported so it's okay.

https://mt-tech.fi/en/how-to-get-4g-supported-ca-combinations-from-your-android-phone/
With this method you can see all bands and CA combos supported by your phone hardware, and modify the carrier_policy.xml with QPST to fit your carrier, I've mod this with oneplus and work well, but this only let you see the bands and adjust combos, supported bands still by hardware , I haven't check with my Chinese model so don't know which bands supported by hardware, my carrier's LTE use 1,3,7,8 all supported so it's okay.
Is it important that this is setup? What happens if this adjustment is not made? (ie. what happens of the "software" tries a band that the hardware does not support? Does it just move on? does the phone crash?)

Is it important that this is setup? What happens if this adjustment is not made? (ie. what happens of the "software" tries a band that the hardware does not support? Does it just move on? does the phone crash?)
For example if you are on the Chinese version you can't get any extra bands or anything with software or hardware, the Chinese ones don't have band 20 and that's it.

But you will be able to modify if your phone supports it, OnePlus phones cover all bands, if someone has a Chinese Xiaomi phone and say band 20 isn't supported then modifying it won't work, because it isn't present on the phone.

Indeed, but what I'm trying to say is network band support is part of the SoC, it's unlikely the SoC is different for different markets as it will be very costly to produce like so. Therefore, the SoC as a hardware actually supports all bands, but the decision to enable or disable is determined by the firmware written by the smartphone manufacturer.
Network bands also depend on the antenna design, not only on the SoC. Most of the times a device meant for China only and their global version have different antenna designs

@gogocar62
Not to discredit you or anything but may I ask how you got your information?

Basically I was told by an engineer at Xiaomi that the CN version and the global equivalent of Xiaomi 13 should have the exact same hardware (and by extension the same X70 chip) and when I asked them the theoretical supported bands for the CN one they quoted this page https://mobilecombos.com/devices/98be63ff-4967-4470-9741-f40718038cc6/

Obviously this contradicts with what the website says about (potentially artificially) limited bands - but also on some CN forums they seem to state unsupported bands can be made available if you flash the Global firmware (but interestingly not unofficial EU) on CN variant

Some TW forums also suggest it was possible to use QPST or hex patching modemst1 to do it

Wondering your thoughts on these?

We are talking about Xiaomi mobiles. I don't know how it is with other brands.
I can only comment on the B20 (800MHz) band. If this band is not accessible from the factory in a Chinese device from Xiaomi, I don't know a single case in the 12 years that I've been following the development of MIUI that someone managed to make this band available on such a device.

The guys (Igor, Ingbrzy, etc.) who understand the issues surrounding Xiaomi mobile phones much better than I do may also comment.

PS:
If someone could make the B20 (800 MHz) band available on Chinese Xiaomi devices, they would make a lot of money.;)

Last edited:
@gogocar62

Basically I was told by an engineer at Xiaomi that the CN version and the global equivalent of Xiaomi 13 should have the exact same hardware (and by extension the same X70 chip) and when I asked them the theoretical supported bands for the CN one they quoted this page https://mobilecombos.com/devices/98be63ff-4967-4470-9741-f40718038cc6/

Obviously this contradicts with what the website says about (potentially artificially) limited bands - but also on some CN forums they seem to state unsupported bands can be made available if you flash the Global firmware (but interestingly not unofficial EU) on CN variant

Some TW forums also suggest it was possible to use QPST or hex patching modemst1 to do it

I've flashed all ROMs on each region, china to global and vice versa, custom ROMs and the bands don't become available. It's hardware related, flashing the ROMs is software. It can't be done.

@gogocar62

Interesting had a look it seems like multiple people managed to get multiple bands unlocked on the xiaomi 5 but not band20
but at one point these guys were very close to getting band20
but it seems like they were missing something.
at the very least it seems very difficult to unlock bands even if the modem does support it.

Hi.

Is anyone here with this model number?
MZB0EA9EU

Is it international/global or china version?

Thank you

Hello,

Just to share my experience with china stable ROM, yesterday I have installed 14.0.3 Android 14.
Works flawlessy (Italy), I have google play store and services up and running, same for banking app and gpay are working great after installing playintegrityfix 9.9 magisk module.
Uninstalled where possible or disabled using service disabler app most of the chinese stuff.
Morelocale 2 installed (needs to be applied on every reboot) and looks like very similar to a global rom
Only notifications for some apps (e.g Whatsapp and Outlook) seems to be delayed sometimes.
Also battery life seems pretty good compared to all MIUI versions I've tried before.
If someone needs some test or feedback let me know.

Ciao
Claudio

I just discovered on Xiaomi 13 there are MANY 4G bands missing.

My house have only B20 coverage, not present in Xiaomi 13.
Near cities have B3/B20, or B3/B7/B28.
No B7 and B28 in Xiaomi 13 neither (why???), so my speed will go down (no 4G+).
Why Xiaomi did such horrible thing?
People travel all around the world with a phone, why limit connections in that way? There is no logic!!

For the second time I regretted buying a Xiaomi phone.
I had Apple, then Samsung, NEVER got problems with firmware or language or frequency.
It is my first time with Xiaomi, and probably last time too.

So sad, watching main phone features looked like a very good phone.
Unfortunately there are many hidden bad things.

I just discovered on Xiaomi 13 there are MANY 4G bands missing.

My house have only B20 coverage, not present in Xiaomi 13.
Near cities have B3/B20, or B3/B7/B28.
No B7 and B28 in Xiaomi 13 neither (why???), so my speed will go down (no 4G+).
Why Xiaomi did such horrible thing?
People travel all around the world with a phone, why limit connections in that way? There is no logic!!

For the second time I regretted buying a Xiaomi phone.
I had Apple, then Samsung, NEVER got problems with firmware or language or frequency.
It is my first time with Xiaomi, and probably last time too.

So sad, watching main phone features looked like a very good phone.
Unfortunately there are many hidden bad things.
I too am annoyed that Xiaomi is missing some important bands even on a "global" model"
However, the bands that the phone supports are published so it is not "hidden"
and it was your choice to purchase the phone.
I'm hoping the 14 series global version might do better

Reactions: jericho246
When I had my 12sUltra, I had band 20 missing. I found that yes, 4g was mainly missing except a few locations where they used alternative bands for 4g, that as no one was using 3g bands, my 3g was super quick. It is not all bad for not having band 20. I am now on Three, so need for band 20 now as they don't use it where I am in the UK.

I too am annoyed that Xiaomi is missing some important bands even on a "global" model"
However, the bands that the phone supports are published so it is not "hidden"
and it was your choice to purchase the phone.
I'm hoping the 14 series global version might do better
It's not easy a regular user to write down all bands of a phone, then find a map on internet and select the carrier to know which bands your operator uses where you are living.
It took me days to understand all these stuffs!
People usually just look for 4G or 5G compatible and nothing else.

And what about when you travel?
And what about if you change operator?

It is supposed a MODERN PHONE, top cpu model, expensive, should connect to all bands.
I will try to use it for now, but I am already thinking about selling it a buy a Samsung.
I am totally disappointed with Xiaomi in this moment.

Don't think so, as far as I'm aware the eea has less ads, also its for eea regions which has different gdpr regulations, that's all I believe.
Sorry to bring this question up again after a few days. I just bought a Xiaomi 13 (fuxi) from China, and am doing my homework on which ROM to flash for me to use in Canada. My major concern is privacy so I thought MIUI global version or EEA version is good. Then I found xiaomi.eu and it seems a good fit as well. When trying to figure out the difference between these versions, I read on a Chinese website (Zhihu) that EEA version MIUI has no background monitor modules due to the restrict regulations of EU while Global version still keeps it yet with less ads comparing to Chinese version. And xiaomi.eu MIUI is the same as the Global version in this regard. Can anyone comment on this? Is what I read on this Chinese website true? Thanks a lot in advance.

So china, global and eea are official ROMs, if the bl is unlocked and you cross flash things won't work, china ROM also is the same as gapos can be flashed and Google stuff works fine. Most custom ROMs with an unlocked bl won't work but with Xiaomi.eu (custom ROM) everything works as normal with the bl unlocked. With the Chinese phone things like ok Google, android auto and some other things don't work but banking stuff is fine.
Hi @gary toman , You mean if I flash to Xiaomi.eu ROM the GPay will work but not Android Auto, OK Google, and others? I have Xiaomi 13 bought in CHINA and currently flash to Global ROM HyperOS but Gpay doesn't work because of unlocked bootlader. I am quite hesitant to fallback to CHINA ROM as the trouble to install google services etc + many bloatware.