Google Pay with Chinese phone and global ROM

hightime

Members
May 1, 2020
Apologies in advance as I know this has been discussed at length ... unfortunately I don't completely understand the solutions proposed and there is likely to be a limit to what I can actually do. I bought a Mi 9t Pro secondhand from someone who bought one of the earlier models directly from China with a 'global ROM'. It seems this combination results in an unlocked bootloader and as a result Google Pay won't work (giving the usual message ... "couldn't finish setup to pay in shops" etc). After trying to find out why, I came across this forum (xiaomi.eu). I'm really disappointed that one of the major reasons I bought the phone was the NFC / Google Pay combination ... and it doesn't work.

The phone I've bought has been updated to the latest version of MIUI 11 via the internal process of the phone automatically downloading and installing it. The ROM versions available from this forum have to be manually downloaded to a PC and installed on the phone. As a result of doing this, is it likely that the bootloader will become locked and/or Google Pay will somehow just work? Or are there several other steps involved to ensure Google Pay will work? Other than the bloatware installed via the automatic process (there does not appear much of this on the phone anyway) are there are any other advantages to using the xiaomi.eu ROM for the (essentially) non-technical user?

With many thanks for any guidelines posted in reply to this.

Thanks for the links ... as a result I was able to find instructions to install twrp so that I could install the xiaomi.eu ROM version. The phone is unlocked (Mi Unlock Status) and is working in 'Encryption mode' (not sure if that is relevant). Because the phone is unlocked, I didn't go through the miflash unlock process.

The twrp installation apparently flashed ok but I cannot boot into it (holding down pwr and vol+) - by doing this I just get into Mi Recovery.

I tried to redo the twrp installation but just get an error message from fastboot. Otherwise the phone boots up normally.

I don't know what to try next ... any help once again much appreciated.

Thanks for the links ... as a result I was able to find instructions to install twrp so that I could install the xiaomi.eu ROM version. The phone is unlocked (Mi Unlock Status) and is working in 'Encryption mode' (not sure if that is relevant). Because the phone is unlocked, I didn't go through the miflash unlock process.

The twrp installation apparently flashed ok but I cannot boot into it (holding down pwr and vol+) - by doing this I just get into Mi Recovery.

I tried to redo the twrp installation but just get an error message from fastboot. Otherwise the phone boots up normally.

I don't know what to try next ... any help once again much appreciated.
You don't have unlocked bootloader i guess

Thanks .... Yes, I thought that might be the situation ... but in the settings under 'Developer Options' under Mi Unlock Status it says the phone is 'unlocked'. Do you think if I go through the mi unlock process, this will fix the problem? Is the fact that the phone is working in 'Encryption mode' make any difference? Why did flashing twrp appear to work?