[guide][recovery][twrp] How To Install A Custom Recovery On Miui V6/v7

Hi, used this guide to flash twrp for unmerged partitions. Had some real problems before I found the error. I couldn't change system in twrp and I think it flashed to system one. My problem was that system two was active. Meaning I always booted back into the old system two.

I have now flashed cwm and flashed the rom I want and everything seems to be working. Just so you know if you want to use twrp with unmerged partitions.
The two systems remain even with Merged partitions, thank you a lot

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
I followed the steps to unbrick my Mi2s (after installing the latest smiui ROM, it got stuck), booted in fastboot and connected it via USB but Windows don't recognize the device -also checked it in a command window typing "fastboot devices" and nothing happened). Any help?

I followed the steps to unbrick my Mi2s (after installing the latest smiui ROM, it got stuck), booted in fastboot and connected it via USB but Windows don't recognize the device -also checked it in a command window typing "fastboot devices" and nothing happened). Any help?
Try using MiPC Suite, it will reset your phone and make it link it's new

sMiUI is based on MiUI v7, witch is only for Merged partitions...I flash sMiUI with TWRP for Merged partitions and the only error I get is:
mount: failed to mount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata at /data: Device or resource busy
But it's just a bug, if you wait a little bit it flash the ROM without problems.

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk
Check my thread for this issue. It's a thread for TWRP 2870 down there

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

@AndColla the day that CWM 6.0.5.0 was created, there wasn't exist the phrase "merged partitions" so M1cha who built this cannot be a prophet...haha

I wonder if this really work on Mi2s with MIUI7.
Because I haven't found any method to flash a custom recovery since 5.4.24 special edition update.
Boot always failed after flashing a custom recovery.
It seems that still nobody on Chinese MIUI Official Forum is able to do this.
If this really work, it should be a great work.

Coming from smiui with mirecover to TWRP for merged partitions.
I flashed it the usual way with your tutorial.

I flashed cm12 the newest version for merged partitions+miniGapps. All went fine till the boot. (Of course I wiped everthing 200 times).
I got some FC here some FC there and so on. So I wanted to flash AOSP by Ivan for merged partitions + another GAPPS zip.
Now I get with EVERY rom this error:

"Failed to extract dir from "system" to "/system".
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/update.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/update.zip'
Updating partition details...
E:Unable to mount '/system'
done...

OR THIS ERROR

E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/ZIP NAME.ZIP'
Error flashing zip '/ZIPP NAME.ZIP'
E:Unable to moun '/system'
...done

WTF did I do wrong??

Reactions: antoniosavio96

I flashed cm12 the newest version for merged partitions+miniGapps. All went fine till the boot. (Of course I wiped everthing 200 times).
I got some FC here some FC there and so on. So I wanted to flash AOSP by Ivan for merged partitions + another GAPPS zip.

done...

OR THIS ERROR

...done

WTF did I do wrong??

TWRP have the option to mount the /system as Read Only, please check if this is the case.

Otherwise, since you already cleaned everything, you can use fastboot and flash the latest official rom. Required tool and rom you can get from here: http://en.miui.com/a-234.html

After reinstall TWRP and flash the rom of your choice.

TWRP have the option to mount the /system as Read Only, please check if this is the case.

Otherwise, since you already cleaned everything, you can use fastboot and flash the latest official rom. Required tool and rom you can get from here: http://en.miui.com/a-234.html

After reinstall TWRP and flash the rom of your choice.

/system is not set as read only.

Unable to mount /system is coming now :D

I flashed TWRP again and tried it again. But this ******* error is following me -.-

Edit: Okay its working now. I just tick the option to set /system as read only and untick it. I think that was my solution

Last edited:
Someone has already tested on MI2S with merged data and merged systems? As you may know we have already merged systems from release MIUI7 5.11.19. All function of TWRP work well without any issue (backup & restore, wipe options...etc)?

Owesome!!! Working perfectly in MI2SC with MULTILANGUAGE MIUI v7.

Thank a lot bro.

HI, I have cleared all data but TWRP gives the error "can't install this zpackage over a newer build.
Error executing updater binary in zip".
When trying to flash ivan's aosp 5.5.7.
What could I do to be able to flash aosp?
Wipe the whole device with miflash and a older miui?

ey, how yo solved it? i have the same problem here.

HI, I used miflash and flashed an older official Miui. Not sure on exact version but it worked because I could install Ivans version over it. Now I have been using it for a while and is very satisfied.

done...

OR THIS ERROR

...done

WTF did I do wrong??
Edit: Okay its working now. I just tick the option to set /system as read only and untick it. I think that was my solution
THANKS YOU A LOT, I was haunted by this for entire the day and I don't know what to do... By checking and unchecking this option I can reflash other roms! Very strange problem... But now it's all ok with your help, thanks you a lot!!!!!

Reactions: kamakasnh