Headphone volume TOO loud?

spixel

Members
Jul 4, 2014
Ok, I know in changeling of xiaomi.eu rom, it says ' fixes low volume' But I really think it is too loud now especially with the warning removed. I'm at around 30 percent volume, 50 starting to be too loud, 80 unbearable, I feel I would do serious damage to my ears if maxed out along with damaging the headphones. I tried them on many other phone and volume doesn't get anywhere near as loud, I think it should be toned down a bit. There is no need for it imo. Mi5 on miui 11.

Ok, I know in changeling of xiaomi.eu rom, it says ' fixes low volume' But I really think it is too loud now especially with the warning removed. I'm at around 30 percent volume, 50 starting to be too loud, 80 unbearable, I feel I would do serious damage to my ears if maxed out along with damaging the headphones. I tried them on many other phone and volume doesn't get anywhere near as loud, I think it should be toned down a bit. There is no need for it imo. Mi5 on miui 11.
Can you mind that earphone sensitivity and impedance are never the same. Think about the one having a high damped 32 Ohms model.....It can request to be in 80% volume range to reach a normal listening level.

The regional restriction for headphones volume was removed. You're getting the same volume you'd get on China ROM, or on Global ROM on India region.
Don't listen on full volume then.
Does the regional restriction make it lower even at 100% or are you talking about the popup message you have to disable. The warning normally comes up at around 80% and I previously used this level before without feeling it is unbearably loud. I have 3 China rom devices and they are all like this. With warning at around 80, at volume I'd consider normal but loud. In Xiaomi.eu rom, this same volume is at around 40-50 percent, 80 percent in Xiaomi.eu rom is waaay louder than China rom at 80 percent.

Obviously I won't be listening at full volume but for safety reasons, young people using xiaomi.eu rom etc, the max volume is seriously loud and dangerous. What is the purpose of removing the warning, it just takes 1 click to disable and stays off until reboot.

Last edited:
Can you mind that earphone sensitivity and impedance are never the same. Think about the one having a high damped 32 Ohms model.....It can request to be in 80% volume range to reach a normal listening level.
I'm testing same headphones on many different mi phones, with China rom,global rom and xiaomieu rom. Xiaomi.eu rom has way different volume scaling and only 1 without the warning. All other phones I can listen up to the warning (which comes at around 80 percent) without feeling it is too loud. The same volume is achieved at just 40-50 percent in Xiaomi.eu perhaps due to modified scaling rather than increase of max volume. But this scaling could make people think it is safe to go louder since its only 40 percent

Last edited:
I'm testing same headphones on many different mi phones, with China rom,global rom and xiaomieu rom. Xiaomi.eu rom has way different volume scaling and only 1 without the warning. All other phones I can listen up to the warning (which comes at around 80 percent) without feeling it is too loud. The same volume is achieved at just 40-50 percent in Xiaomi.eu perhaps due to modified scaling rather than increase of max volume. But this scaling could make people think it is safe to go louder since its only 40 percent
different phones have different sound cards and different settings. to me the pop up message about the volume is extremely annoying. you don't see any portable music player with that. maybe it should be optional, so people who want it, can, and the one who don't, won't.

Reactions: krawzer15
different phones have different sound cards and different settings. to me the pop up message about the volume is extremely annoying. you don't see any portable music player with that. maybe it should be optional, so people who want it, can, and the one who don't, won't.

Sure they do, except the scaling on all other phones is very similar, almost equal, at least up to the 80% warning. I tried redmi 6a, mi note pro, mi 9 se, redmi note 5, 2 china roms and 2 global roms. Maybe the volume increases in different increments after the limiter is disabled, and some phones will ultimately be louder.

The scaling on xiaomi.eu rom at least on mi5 is just way too loud at the lower settings, I really think it would lead to people using more volume than required just because of how low the volume slider is at.

I think it should at the very least be optional, removing a safety feature with no way to put it back is not a wise decision in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sure they do, except the scaling on all other phones is very similar, almost equal, at least up to the 80% warning. I tried redmi 6a, mi note pro, mi 9 se, redmi note 5, 2 china roms and 2 global roms. Maybe the volume increases in different increments after the limiter is disabled, and some phones will ultimately be louder.

The scaling on xiaomi.eu rom at least on mi5 is just way too loud at the lower settings, I really think it would lead to people using more volume than required just because of how low the volume slider is at.

I think it should at the very least be optional, removing a safety feature with no way to put it back is not a wise decision in my opinion. Otherwise adjust the scaling so it is more in line with devices which have the volume limiter.
The regional limit is in binary form, it's not possible to make it optional.

The regional limit is in binary form, it's not possible to make it optional.

When you say regional limit, are you referring to the limiter at 80% which you can disable at the prompt, or the absolute max volume at 100% after disabling the limiter.

Because my 2 China rom phones also have this limiter at 80%(1 on miui 9, 1 on miui 11) and I find the volume level on them equal to my global rom phones which are not set to India region. I haven't tested the absolute max volume after disabling the limit because I already have tinnitus :)

All I'm saying is 80% volume on mi5 is already scary loud compared to all other phones also at 80%, don't know if it some side effect of removing the warning prompt at 80% or just how mi5 is.

When you say regional limit, are you referring to the limiter at 80% which you can disable at the prompt, or the absolute max volume at 100% after disabling the limiter.

Because my 2 China rom phones also have this limiter at 80%(1 on miui 9, 1 on miui 11) and I find the volume level on them equal to my global rom phones which are not set to India region. I haven't tested the absolute max volume after disabling the limit because I already have tinnitus :)

All I'm saying is 80% volume on mi5 is already scary loud compared to all other phones also at 80%, don't know if it some side effect of removing the warning prompt at 80% or just how mi5 is.
Nope, I mean the base volume restriction for the EU region in the low-level audio controller. Doesn't only affect maximum volume, the base volume is lower by about 12dB.

Oh boy, I wish I had this issue on my Mi 9T. This device has the worst sound I've ever tested on xiaomi, the sound enhancer is not even available for AUX cables.

Nope, I mean the base volume restriction for the EU region in the low-level audio controller. Doesn't only affect maximum volume, the base volume is lower by about 12dB.

That's interesting because besides mi5 on xiaomi.eu rom, if I had to pick 1 phone which was louder than the rest at same slider level, it would be Redmi note 5 pro on global rom, region set to a European country. That's why I'm curious about the region limit you mention, I was expecting mi note pro on china rom to be the loudest due to it being china rom and more audio centric device than the others.

Edit - Nevermind, my redmi note 5 was set to United states region, I remember now I changed it due to them removing theme store for eu countries. United states is definitely louder than the eu countries.

• Haha
Reactions: LOLO9393