High Network Usage By Android Os (miui 9)

Sturr

Members
Mar 24, 2018
Hello all
Since installing MIUI 9.2 and 9.5 from MIUI 8.5.5 I've seen a sudden spike in daily network downloads. I've isolated the culprit to Android OS, but I can't work out why. about 50-100 MB per day is used from either my data or WIFI connection on just this alone. I have the Mi5c.

Thing's to note:
I have not installed any new apps since upgrading.
I have logged out of all sync accounts and turned off syncing. (incl. Google and MI Cloud)
I have turned off backup settings everywhere I can find them.
I have tried a completely fresh install of MIUI 9.5 and restored user data (twice).
The bursts of data appears in the morning and afternoon mostly.
All other system and user apps are showing reasonable usage.
Before the upgrade and on my other phone the Mi4i (8.5.3) the Android OS data usage is virtually zero.

Will there be a built in feature that is causing this, or is it a bug? Thanks for your time.

I have exactly the same issue.
It started after I installed the latest OTA update (~1 week ago), every day 50-100MB, sometime around 7-8 in the morning and evening.

Last stable version (installed in January, 9.*, I don't remember the exact version number) worked flawlessly.

I just downgraded to 9.1.5, build from Dec 2017, and will monitor this week if this version works better.

As info how not to do a downgrade:
I used the Xiaomi updater to downgrade (no data wipe).
Got a lot of failed process errors after reboot, like process.acore stopped working or similar. I needed to delete the data of the contacts app since the SQLite DB used for contacts cannot be downgraded. Make sure to have a backup of your contacts.

I just downgraded to 9.1.5, build from Dec 2017, and will monitor this week if this version works better.

As info how not to do a downgrade:
I used the Xiaomi updater to downgrade (no data wipe).
Got a lot of failed process errors after reboot, like process.acore stopped working or similar. I needed to delete the data of the contacts app since the SQLite DB used for contacts cannot be downgraded. Make sure to have a backup of your contacts.

Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear it's happening to someone else. What you've described, included the times of the data spikes after taking a closer look, is very much the same.

Let me know whether the downgrade works out. I was thinking about reverting back to 8.5.5. Luckily I made a TWRP image to send everything back to before the upgrade.

Be great to hear from the development team because it clearly sounds like an issue with versions 9.5

Same here. Thought it was my navigation first but I noticed it was the Android system itself. Hope the team will fix this soon..

Let me know whether the downgrade works out. I was thinking about reverting back to 8.5.5. Luckily I made a TWRP image to send everything back to before the upgrade.

Be great to hear from the development team because it clearly sounds like an issue with versions 9.5

The downgrade to 9.1.5 works for me. The last few days I only had a few 10 kB per day by Android OS.
I've attached my Wifi data usage for Android OS where you can easily spot when I've upgraded to 9.5 and then, 10 days later, the downgrade to 9.1.5.

Not sure where these kind of bugs need to be reported to ..

Attachments

• wifi_data_usage.png
    wifi_data_usage.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 577
That's really good news. I will try that myself and go back to 9.1
This clearly seems like some kind of bug.

So for downgrading: you used the updater app and selected the zip package for 9.1 which I need to download? About the contacts, did you have to clear all the app data on the phone or just clear the data for the contacts app from the app manager and then restore? All my contacts are backed up with gmail so restore won't be a problem. Was that the only issue?

Exactly, I have downloaded "xiaomi.eu_multi_MI5c_V9.1.5.0.NCJCNEI_v9-7.1.zip" from the "stable" folder mentioned in the weekly releases and copied it to the root folder of the phone.
In the updater app you can choose an update package (press the three dots in the upper right corner) and just select the downloaded version.

The upgrade and especially booting the first time afterwards takes some time ...
I also cleared Dalvik cache in TWRP after 2nd boot or so (not sure if really necessary).

I experienced problems with the builtin apps Contacts and Gallery, both times because the SQLite DB was downgraded.
For Contacts, I went to Settings/Apps and pressed "Clear Data". You might want to do this *before* downgrading because the SQLite error pops up error 2 seconds which makes every interaction with the phone quite cumbersome. Then I resynced my contacts and now everything works as before.
For Gallery, the error only pops up if you open the Gallery app. Unfortunately, the "Clear Data" option is grayed out (Google says because clearing data would prevent Mi sync or something ...). I don't really use it so I haven't invested much time here. You could use any other Gallery app, I suppose, or try some force cleaning of the data (no idea how).

=> Downgrading with the updater app is not the preferred way to do it, but it worked for me and took much less time than a clean install.

Thanks a lot. Sounds like there could be a few problems by downgrading using the app. It didn't take too long to do a clean install before so I might just do that to be on the safe side.

I really hope they fix the issue soon.
Cheers

Hi guys,
Just to let you know...
Maybe some developer think it's normal and absolutely not suspicious...
received_752859905103763.png