Hongmi does not recognize European SIM

Evil_C

Members
Jun 1, 2014
Hi all,

my first post here, as a future owner of 1S.

Disclaimer: I'm a total noob as far as smartphones are concerned.

I have a friend who will soon be coming back to Europe from China and she's supposed to be bringing me the phone. But one thing got me worried. She just bought the Hongmi (original version) for herself, directly from the manufacturer, and she says she can only use the Chinese SIM, while the phone does not recognize her European one. Does that mean the phone is locked to Chinese SIMs? And what to do to unlock it? It's supposed to be the WCDMA (Unicom) version.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks

Then she bought TD-SCDMA version. Simple. You need WCDMA version to use European 3G networks.

But make sure what your friend is saying. Did she said European sim is not active at all or she just can't use 3G networks?

Wysłane z MI3

I'm pretty sure she bought the WCDMA version, as the prices for the two versions are different. But the European SIM is not active on Hongmi at all, so 3G is not the issue here :) She tried the same SIM card on a Lenovo and it worked fine.

Update:

It seems that the second SIM slot is working with the European card, connects to China Unicom. The first one isn't, it says "Emergency calls only" (works with the Chinese card though). Could this be a hardware flaw?

Ok, I had the same problem here and believe it or not the sim card works if you put some normal tape on the side without the contacts, in order to increase the thickness just a little, then put the card into the 3g socket, it will work. Don't ask me why.

Thanx man. I'll see whether it will work when the phone comes to Europe. If not, I'll try your little tape trick :) Didn't have much luck with Xiaomi's customer support, as they answered me in Chinese. G-Translate helped, but did not solve my problem