How To Easily Install Twrp Recovery

Sorry if I write about this so late.
I can't seem to flash TWRP via Updater app on my Mi Note, so I'm stuck to the last version of the xiaomi.eu ROM that didn't need TWRP.
If I start the flashing via Updater I quickly see a progress bar that goes away in half a second, leaving me with a normal reboot, and Mi Recovery is still in its place.

Now, I think my bootloader has always been unlocked since I've always only had a xiaomi.eu ROM, and I have one installed right now (6.2.18). On this ROM I don't have root so I can't try installing TWRP with Flashify.

Can I still try following this guide even though I have a xiaomi.eu ROM already and should be flashing via Updater?

Last edited:
Are you able to boot to TWRP via updater app or button Combination ?

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

Right now, after countless attempts at installing TWRP via Updater app, I still get the Mi Recovery.

I was wondering if I should try via fastboot even if the guide says you install it via Updater if you're already on a xiaomi.eu ROM.

Flash it via fastboot ....

I've done it and I still get Mi Recovery for some reason!
The procedure was successful, it should've wiped out Mi Recovery completely. Don't know why it's still there. :confused:

Yes flash it using the flash command...then fastboot boot recovery.img

Nothing. I was able to go into the TWRP thanks to the command, but then I rebooted to the system, I used the Updater app to reboot into recovery, and... Mi Recovery is still there. Seems like it reinstalls itself everytime I reboot the phone.

Give this a try:
So do it like this:
flash TWRP via fastboot
reboot via fastboot but keep volume up pressed then press enter
twrp will ask you if it should disable stock recovery replacement -> yes

Do I enter TWRP with the second command we talked about or do I just reboot after flashing?

EDIT: I just rebooted after flashing with volume up pressed and it just brought me into twrp, no question asked.

Last edited:
To flash TWRP permanent use the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"....after flashing use the command "fastboot boot recovery.img"......

Yeah, this part is clear to me, I was just wondering if I needed to do both to get the question you talked about

EDIT: the guide says to choose read-only, but I think that's my problem, I should have accorded full permissions to TWRP. Now no matter how I summon it, it doesn't give me the choice anymore!

Last edited:
Yes do both ....

As I wrote in the edit to the previous post, when I flashed it the first time it gave me the choice to allow modifications or to keep read only. I did read only because the guide said so, but now that I have this problem I think that I should allow modifications. Thing is it doesn't give me the choice anymore if I re-flash it! It just brings me the normal TWRP home. Is there a way to bring it back?

@nicotto: You're discussing your problem in two threads? Great o_O
In TWRP startpage choose Mount, then uncheck box "Mount system partition read-only"

I gave up that one because it was OT but I forgot to tell you, I'm sorry. :(
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try if it works.

So you can boot to TWRP NOW ? copy TWRP to your internal storage (download folder)...boot to TWRP...install....install image lower right...and install the .img you copied to the download folder:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195902722

I can boot to TWRP only after flashing, but as soon as I get back to the system, MIUI reinstalls its official recovery.
I don't know if I get what you're telling me tho. I should install TWRP from the temporary TWRP I can get after flashing it?

Last edited:
What command are you using to flash TWRP.....It should be ....fastboot FLASH recovery recovery.img....fastboot recovery recovery.img is temporary....

I think I got a grasp on what those commands mean. I obviously ALWAYS use "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" because it's the command that actually flashes TWRP. Then I use "fastboot boot recovery.img" to access it.

Last edited:
Yes boot to TWRP and install again inside TWRP...then reboot to recovery while inside TWRP ...you should see the recovery you installed while in TWRP...reboot to system ....

I think I solved!
Unchecked the read-only option, did a cache and dalvik/ART wipe and now the Updater app reboots the system into TWRP. :cool:

Thanks for the answers guys! ;)

I don't know why everytime I try to install new rom I have to use this way:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

I can't start recovery mode to get in TWRP using my phone.

Hi. I've installed TWRP on my Xiaomi Redmi Pro (omega/HMPro), but I forgot to install Chinese Dev ROM, first, so now I'm stuck with a working TWRP but I can't get the Chinese Stable ROM to boot. I'd want to install MIUI.eu ROM. Is there a way to install it through TWRP if the original ROM is gone?

Last edited:
Hello,
I am a Mi Note user and I have the same issue described here earlier: after first boot, Mi Recovery is back.
I have followed all steps:
- unchecked the read system partition only
- installed TWRP img again to recovery partition
- rebooted to recovery from TWRP and it worked until first reboot

I am using the right comand to write the twrp: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Any ideas?