How To Updating From 6.11.10 ?

Hobbes.

Members
Mar 22, 2016
Hi everybody !

My Mi5 phone is in 6.11.10, so I'm late from a few versions...

I want to update it to the last one, but when I read the posts I saw a lot a risks and problems with Android 7. Some of you bricks their phone, not cool I guess...

So how to update from 6.11.10 to 7.1.5 ?
I read that there is a new TWRP Recovery, but witch one ? Do I have to unstall some of the versions between them, or only the last one ? No risk to brick my phone now ? I prefere to stay in a old version than bricking my dear Mi5 :D

I read that some of you have the error "E:unknown command [log]" when they update their phone, it's a problem or not ?

Thank you very much for you help !
Have a god day !

Hobbes

PS : sorry for my english, i'm a french guy, and you know how strong we are with foreign languages

Hi everybody !

My Mi5 phone is in 6.11.10, so I'm late from a few versions...

I want to update it to the last one, but when I read the posts I saw a lot a risks and problems with Android 7. Some of you bricks their phone, not cool I guess...

So how to update from 6.11.10 to 7.1.5 ?
I read that there is a new TWRP Recovery, but witch one ? Do I have to unstall some of the versions between them, or only the last one ? No risk to brick my phone now ? I prefere to stay in a old version than bricking my dear Mi5 :D

I read that some of you have the error "E:unknown command [log]" when they update their phone, it's a problem or not ?

6.11.10 is just the right version before you update to nougat rom. So yes, you dont need to flash any other rom before 7.1.5.

Right TWRP is the newest 3.0.2-3. I don't know if older versions work also but that works for sure.

log error doesn't matter. I have had it every time I have installed new rom. It's ok.

If you follow the instructions and flash 7.1.5 over 6.11.10, it should not brick your phone. Remember not to wipe system, just dalvik, cache and data.

Reactions: Hobbes.
6.11.10 is just the right version before you update to nougat rom. So yes, you dont need to flash any other rom before 7.1.5.

Right TWRP is the newest 3.0.2-3. I don't know if older versions work also but that works for sure.

log error doesn't matter. I have had it every time I have installed new rom. It's ok.

If you follow the instructions and flash 7.1.5 over 6.11.10, it should not brick your phone. Remember not to wipe system, just dalvik, cache and data.

OK thanks a lot !

I will follow these instructions to do the installation, but do you know how to do this step? -> Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX

I downloaded à .img file but I do not know how to use it ..

How to update to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done
- In case of any issues, make factory reset via system settings
- For ROOT on Android 7.0 install SuperSU 2.79
- For update from 7.0 to 7.0 reboot into TWRP (Updater app doesn't work yet)

Thanks a lot !

OK thanks a lot !

I will follow these instructions to do the installation, but do you know how to do this step? -> Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX

I downloaded à .img file but I do not know how to use it ..

How to update to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done
- In case of any issues, make factory reset via system settings
- For ROOT on Android 7.0 install SuperSU 2.79
- For update from 7.0 to 7.0 reboot into TWRP (Updater app doesn't work yet)

Thanks a lot !

Well, first you need android usb drivers for you PC (in case you don't have it yet). You can find adb installer which is quite easy method to install those. Check that your PC recognizes your Mi5.

Then you boot to fastboot (vol- and power) and connect MI5 to PC. You open CMD (command prompt) on your PC, search the folder you have downloaded your twrp (be sure that you have downloaded the latest TWRP 3.0.2-3 gemini) and boot image and type the following:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot boot recovery.img

Phone should now boot to new TWRP, move your ROM to phone and install new ROM and then wipe cache, dalvik and data. After that reboot to system. Everything should be ok.

Of course it could be good idea to backup your phone first in twrp...

Reactions: Hobbes.
I followed these steps to install 6.12.29 and evrything go fine !

Thanks both of you !
Have a nice day !

Hi. Could you tell me what boot.img are you talking about?

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img"
Thanks

Personally I just used TWRP 3.0.2.3 (twrp-3.0.2-3-gemini.img) rename in recovery.img with no boot.img, and it worked

I tried today. Installed twrp-3.0.2-3-gemini.img. Rebooted and i saw the right version number in recovery, but when I tried to install 6.12.29, I got an error message: "updater process ended with error 7 " "couldn't mount cache".
After that when I rebooted the recovery, I saw that the twrp version number went back 3.0.2.2.
Reinstalled 6.11.10 for now.

Hi. Could you tell me what boot.img are you talking about?

"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img"
Thanks

Sorry, it seems you don't have to flash boot.img nowadays. It was just instructed here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...r-xiaomi-mi5-unlocked-bl-only-released.31231/

And it was to make internal storage visible in TWRP. So all you need is fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, fastboot boot recovery img and install rom (without wiping system).

It is normal that after coming back to 6.11.10 TWRP changes to 3.0.2.2. Same happened to me. I think ROM replaces recovery every time and 6.11.10 has old recovery...

Are you sure you are installing the right ROM for Mi 5? Error 7 is sometimes seen when installing rom for wrong device...

Of course you could also try to flash some newer ROM, for example 7.1.12?

Last edited: