I can not restore with twrp

ueno.tokyo

Members
Dec 22, 2018
I could not restore by restoring after making a backup with twrp.
We selected and operated all but the cache for backup and restore.
I formatted the data on my mobile device at restore time.
When creating a backup, which partition should I select?
Also, when restoring, which partitions should be selected and restored?

Boot
Recovery
System
Vender
System image
Vender image
Data (excl.strage)
Modem
EFS

The twrp I am using is recovery-v14.img.
ROM is xiaomi.eu_multi_MIMix2S_V10.2.1.0.PDGCNXM_v10-9.zip.

Last edited:
TWRP is a custom recovery, not a built-in part of the os.

There have been not so few cases where a TWRP does not function correctly, even "official" TWRP.

On 4pda.ru there was a situation early last fall where folk were bricking their Mi8 by restoring a full TWRP backup of all partitions.
This is still up on the Mi8 section there as a warning.

Consensus there seemed to be that only Data, System and Recovery partitions can safely be restored.

The problem seems to be that TWRP does not always correctly handle other partitions, like Vendor and Persist.

I do not have a Mix 2s, so no direct experience with it's TWRPs.

Verm 3.0.2's twrp for redmi note 4 was only selectable for Boot, System, and Data.
I backed up these three.
Restoration processing can be restored by restoring three of Boot, System, Data.
When using Ver.2.3.2 twrp for mix2s, can I restore by restoring three of Boot, System, Data after formatting the data?
In this case, will not I fall into the Boot loop?

Verm 3.0.2's twrp for redmi note 4 was only selectable for Boot, System, and Data.
I backed up these three.
Restoration processing can be restored by restoring three of Boot, System, Data.
When using Ver.2.3.2 twrp for mix2s, can I restore by restoring three of Boot, System, Data after formatting the data?
In this case, will not I fall into the Boot loop?

I really have no idea.

I would guess that restoring Data and System should work, wiping / formatting Data also.

Formatting System is considered not a good idea, don't know why.

Restoring Boot might be a bad idea, I would think twice about that, unless someone with a Mix 2s can confirm that it works with the TWRP you are using.

Apparently, no one seems to be recovering from backup.
When I was using redmi note 4, I made the backup with twrp and put the official ROM.
After a few days I formatted note4 with twrp and then restored with backup using twrp where I was able to go back to when I backed up.
But, in the case of mix 2s, it never returned to the original even if it was restored.
If you put an official Rom after creating a backup of eu - Rom, how do you restore it?

Well, I have successfully restored a few backups of the Data partition on my Mi Note 2 and Max1, never of any other partitions.
I always flashed the ROM I wanted, never tried restoring the System partition.
They both have good dependable TWRPs.

I never dared try restoring anything on the Mix1, but I do take backups on it anyway.

It is not yet run in mix 2s.
Restoring only the Data partition will restore all account information, fingerprint authentication, application settings etc?
The last resort is to clean up eu - Rom after formatting, then restore the Data partition to get back to where you are?
Thank you, I will try it.

Reactions: cobben
When I restored the data partition, the backed up photos, music, video and map had disappeared.
In which partitions are photos, music, images and maps?
Which partition will I restore, can I return photos, music, images and maps?

Your personal files, photos, music, etc. are not backed up in TWRP in any partition.

That is what is meant by "Data/ ex.
Storage".

You have to make backup copies of these files in some other way - via USB to a computer, some form of cloud backup, etc.

Your personal files, photos, music, etc. are not backed up in TWRP in any partition.

That is what is meant by "Data/ ex.
Storage".

You have to make backup copies of these files in some other way - via USB to a computer, some form of cloud backup, etc.

When I restored from backup data of redmi note 4 using twrp 3.0.2, photos, music, images and map were restored.
And yet, twrp 3.2.3 can not restore photos, music, images and maps?
I thought that twrp was upgrading, but did it mean that the feature was down?

No TWRP I have used for any device has ever backed up my photos and files.

If you do a dirty flash, of course your files are not deleted.
That does not mean that they were backed up or restored.

I only use the ones which are checked by default, namely:
System
Data
Boot

twrp 3.0.2 was able to restore the three partitions "system, data, boot", restore photos, images, maps and music.
However, twrp 3.2.3 has nine partitions "Boot, Recovery, System, Vender, System image, Vender image, Data (excl.strage), Modem, EFS".
I restored three partitions "Boot, System, Data" using twrp 3.2.3, but it became a boot roop and it can not be started.
I want to know how to restore photos, videos, music and maps with twrp.