I Just Bought A Redmi2- Some Questions

peweuk

Members
Jul 4, 2015
Hi

I wanted to buy a Redmi2 and went searching for a seller.
I did have a few problems locating a seller who would ship to the UK before I found HonorBuy in China who offered UK shipping and at a reasonable price for the phone including shipping.

It arrived the other day, so far I am very pleased with the phone - it has more memory and is more responsive than my 2 previous other Android phones.

However I noticed that the MIUI version on the phone was a beta, and when I ran an update Version 5.7.2 was installed today - but that too is a beta.
I then read on the MIUI forum that the version should start with a prefix of MIUI-JX, otherwise it is fake.

I came to the conclusion that maybe my version is beta because it is not the Cinese version, but a reworked EU version.

Am I correct, or is it possible my phone is not genuine.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please see http://en.miui.com/thread-128136-1-1.html (1st link) for all info about flashing. Always make a backup if you have any data you don't want to lose: you find a backup-option under settings. A EU-ROM can be found at http://xiaomi.eu/communit...-weekly-rom-releases.103/ , a global rom at http://en.miui.com/download-261.html

Thank you for your comment raoul.

My post was not related to re-flashing, but more to do with the authenticity of the phone.
It receives updates to MIUI, but they are classed as beta and I am interested to know why they are beta and who it is who is updating the phone when I connect.

Also I would be interested to know if the Redmi 2 is going to get Lollipop at any time soon, and if it does, if my phone will automatically update too.

My post was not related to re-flashing, but more to do with the authenticity of the phone. It receives updates to MIUI, but they are classed as beta and I am interested to know why they are beta and who it is who is updating the phone when I connect.

Hi peweuk. Did you check out the links? It also contains info about beta's (and about availability of versions), so i thought you would also find info to see whether it is one of the beta's mentioned at those links.

Additionally, maybe http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87292&page=1#pid1693995 answers your question about authenticity.

Hi peweuk. Did you check out the links? It also contains info about beta's (and about availability of versions), so i thought you would also find info to see whether it is one of the beta's mentioned at those links.

Additionally, maybe http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87292&page=1#pid1693995 answers your question about authenticity.
Thanks once again raoul.

I have read through your links and some other posts, and also been in touch with the seller and am now happy that I have a genuine phone.

Thanks again.

Reactions: sur90
Hi Raul,
What is the difference between EU ROM and Global ROM?
Do both of them support keyboards of *all* languages?

Can i just update using the updater app, instead of flashing?

Hi Raul,
What is the difference between EU ROM and Global ROM?
Do both of them support keyboards of *all* languages?

Can i just update using the updater app, instead of flashing?
Sorry, don't know. Just google-d and found EU is only weekly update and based on stable intl ROM. But i guess there must be more to differentiate it from intl rom. Couldn't find an explanation on miui eu website. Afaik, once you have the EU rom on your phone, the updater works

Thank you Raoul for the quick response.

Sorry, I just realized I mispelled your name in my first post...

Do you know whether I can use the updater app I have with my miui "15.1.23|BETA" version to change to the rooted version of eu miui?

Reactions: sur90
I would only feel confident to answer that if i were running that actual ROM (and preferably that version). But i'm currently on a CyanogenMod ROM. Planning to change to MIUI global or EU in the next coming weeks to see whether that improves memory use on my 1GB model, as soon as i get a phone from my new employer and find the time... You don't feel confident to just try, either 1st the EU and see if you can root, and if not, change to the global international?

thanks again for the quick reply.
I need to read more about it before i am confident enough in flashing a ROM.
I would prefer to only use the SW as it was designed, and the features that come with it, once i need to use 3rd party software to create backups, to root, to flash a ROM, then i do not feel comfortable.

If there is no other choice then I might just stay with what i have until i am fed up with it and then either try to flash some more up to date ROM, or just buy a different phone.
I am disappointed that i bought a genuine phone from Xiaomi and i got it with a Beta version miui that is unable to find updates for itself. Not to mention the fact that this version is not mentioned anywhere in their sites or forums, so i can't tell which version would be close, what i should try to update to, etc.

Again, thanks for your advice and help

If you installed miui version from xiaomi EU (developer) version then always will be a beta. But... Stable version is full with Chinese software and more important, no root there, so with 20+ versions reflashed on my mi2s I finally choose beta from xiaomi EU.

If u buy from reseller, they usually flash international rom like miui eu if global rom for that device is unavailable so that you dont end up with china miui and need to install playstore by yourself.

Sent from my Redmi 2 using Tapatalk