Installing Google Apps on MIUI 2.11.9

eazilyled

Members
Nov 12, 2012
I just upgraded to the 2.11.9, and can't seem to install the Gapps.

This is what I have done so far:
Downloaded Gapps for Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.x : http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip.
Renamed zip file to update.zip and copied to root of SD card.
Rebooted to recovery and installed update.zip to system one.

When I rebooted I could see that the apps weren't installed. I wasn't sure if I needed to do the next step but I did it anyway:

In Updater app, selected update.zip (i.e. the renamed GApps zip file) as installation pack and updated.
I got the message 'System update failed - Download full ROM package is recommended'. I viewed the error log which said 'unexpected number of arguments (5)'.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

have you tried to clean cache/format the phone? just make a backup before you do this since you will lose everything. Not sure if it will help since i haven't installed gapps myself since i never needed to do a complete re-install after gapps was removed.

Thanks for the reply (again :))

When I installed 2.11.9, I actually followed method 1 from your m-one guide so I wiped cache, wiped user data and wiped all data.
Is this what you mean by cleaning cache / formatting the phone?

Anyway, what I will probably do is either revert to the last ROM that had GApps included, or install the latest Xiaomi ROM using the Brush tool. I think I'm right in thinking that the Xiaomi ROM will have the MIUI market app which will allow to me to get Google Play (which is all I really need).

Would you mind answering a few more questions:

1) Do you know if my approach to installing GApps was correct, i.e. did I have to install in recovery or update in Updater app, or both?

2) Once I get up and running again, what is the approach to update to the latest ROM and preserve all installed apps? I take it it involves not performing some of the steps in the guide. I saw that on some of the ROM release pages, it says to wipe the Dalvik cache - is this simply the 'Wipe Cache' option in recovery mode?

3) Do the two systems (system one and system two) provide a way for users to test ROMs in a kind of staging area? For example I might test the latest ROM in system two and once I am happy apply it to system one?

Many thanks for your help!

I have now reverted back to the 2.10.12 ROM which has GApps included, so I'm back in the land of the living!

If you could answer any of my earlier questions, that would be great.

There is one way to get Google Apps missing in Rom, one by one to copy/paste with root explorer to system/app, then fix the permission and reboot.
But to say the truth, before Mi 1S I had HTC HD2, and with recovery mode and CWM it was much more possibilities and more easy, to wipe and to install anything we wanted. Even Dalvik cache was more easy to find the way to wipe.
Otherwise it is a great and fast device.

1: Dont know have not had to install it myself yet but seems you got gapps at least :)
2: "Wipe Cache" just do this and format and you are good to go :)
3: yes you can have 2 different versions of miui ICS. system 1 can have a stable release while system 2 has the weekly release :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

blackstones, just to be clear, what do you mean by format? Do you mean 'Install update.zip to System One'? Do I also have to go into the Updater app when I reboot and select the installation pack like in your guide?

in recovery mode you can "wipe cache" , "wipe user data" and "wipe all data" do all 3 :) you will loose all the information so do a backup with the built in backup app if you need too.

Yes you need to update with the update app to update system 2.

Well, I decided to update to 2.11.9 today.
I did a backup of my apps in 2.10.12 first ;).

For some reason I didn't get the Google Play app back when I did the restore, although it did restore Google Play Services.
But no worries, I was able to download and install the Google Play apk manually from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1836057

So now all is good.
No more updates for me, well at least until tomorrow... :)

@eazilyled,

Xiaomi Recovery isn't perfect and limited only two states. I use the Lennox Recovery and it's just perfect. It looks like the classic CWM Recovery and you have all firmwares under control. Because it works with the first system partition only you always know what to do and what you get.

Reactions: emaz
@eazilyled,

Xiaomi Recovery isn't perfect and limited only two states. I use the Lennox Recovery and it's just perfect. It looks like the classic CWM Recovery and you have all firmwares under control. Because it works with the first system partition only you always know what to do and what you get.

This helped me as well. Pretty cool, thank you very much!