Is 12S Ultra rattling sound normal?

Syncopated

Members
Apr 20, 2019
I recently started noticing that my 12S Ultra makes a rattling sound when I shake it even lightly. The sound seems to be coming from the upper half of the phone, perhaps somewhere in the region of the camera. I don't recall hearing the rattling when I first got the phone when it was still running stock ROM, but this could be because I just didn't notice. I have dropped the unprotected phone once from around 70cm onto somewhat-soft flooring (not concrete, roughly as soft as wood).

I get the rattling sounds even when the camera app is running and even when I am recording a video. The photos and videos taken seem normal, though.

Is this rattling normal? Do you get a rattling sound with your 12S Ultra phones also? Also, it would be good to know this for both stock & xiaomi.eu ROMs, to be sure whether it has anything to do with the xiaomi.eu ROM just in case.

It is normal. It is issued by the lens of every camera with (AF)+(OIS) , which moves freely when it is not active. When active, it moves in a magnetic field.

Last edited:
Reactions: drsailorstein
It is normal. It is issued by the lens of every camera with (AF)+(OIS) , which moves freely when it is not active. When active, it moves in a magnetic field.
got the Mi 13 Pro which has the same sensor, and it makes the rattling sound, i thought it was something loose but i never dropped the phone.

apparently it is the camera lens, when active, it barely makes any noise.