Is the RAM/Battery management tweaked in this ROM?

David22

Members
Nov 12, 2016
For some apps I enabled autostart, locked in recents, and set battery saver to no restriction. But it didn't have the desired effect, because when I clear an app from recents, instead of just leaving it run in the background (like in AOSP), MIUI stops and restarts it. I tried to turn on and off MIUI optimization, but it doesn't help. It's problematic for one of my apps (Automate). It's running well on AOSP but on MIUI my created flows aren't restarting properly, they aren't running, so this app is unusable in MIUI. So my question is that can I make battery and RAM management like it's in AOSP? If not, is the situation the same in stock global MIUI? Or can I make it with another modified MIUI release?
@ingbrzy

Last edited:
I don't know whether it counts as an answer, but these are my observations: Some apps obey to the rules and restrictions I set, some don't. It looks like it is app-dependent. This is not only true for letting apps run in the background, but also for settings for autostart and "start in background". Some apps just ignore these settings and start in the background anyway, and there is NOTHING the user can do to avoid it. On the other hand, even an app from Xiaomi itself, MiFit, always stops in the background and must load new when I go "back" to it - it SHOULD remain in RAM (come on, I have a device with 6GB of RAM!) unless there is real need to close it (which would basically, with my usage pattern, be never).
I have had official ROM before, and it was just the same. These restrictions and permissions simply do not work properly. Most prominently, apps start in the background right after I have force-quitted them, even those that have NO permissions for autostart or start in background. So, I quit apps because I don't want them to run, and they just restart automatically. This is a really BAD behavior, actually I would call it a bug.

I have the same problem. I use the "Missed Notifications Reminder" in order to warn me about missed phone calls or missed text messages. I've given it all permissions that I can find (autostart, notification importance = urgent, battery saver = no restrictions, etc, etc), but thing is that every once in a while, the service stops. In a custom ROM, for example LineageOS, it works fine.

I have the same problem. I use the "Missed Notifications Reminder" in order to warn me about missed phone calls or missed text messages. I've given it all permissions that I can find (autostart, notification importance = urgent, battery saver = no restrictions, etc, etc), but thing is that every once in a while, the service stops. In a custom ROM, for example LineageOS, it works fine.

did you "lock" the app on the recents page? This did the job for me in similar cases.

Reactions: Bunbury
Yes (forgot to mention that) I locked the app in recents page. If I reboot the phone or if "something else happens that I don't know what it could be", it's bye bye to the App: the Process is still active but the Service is gone.
Thanks anyhow ;)

Thank you for your answers, I think we have the same problem. Is maybe our problem related with Whetstone? They say it's enough to disable Memory optimization under developer options to get rid of its effect, but for me there's no such option. So don't have another choice: What if I remove/freeze Whetstone? I don't care if autostart, MIUI battery saver won't work anymore, I would like an AOSP-like process management, only with the restrictions, which are present in AOSP also.