magisk 22 [RESOLVED]

kearmau5

Members
Oct 19, 2019
hi every one
could anyone explain how we could update the latest magisk 22 because the magisk manager is no longer available....i turned the apk to zip file and it didnt want to be installed at all it gives you an error message
THE DEVICE IS NOT BOOTING TO SYSTEM IT DIRECTS TO FASTBOOT....any way i managed to flash the full rom zip file to get the thinks settelled as it was before and in order to restore the stock boot image.....there is a serious problem with thhis magisk stuff
Screenshot_2021-02-24-15-13-45.png

Last edited:
I just installed the latest MIUI 12.5 weekly rom and I'm facing the same issues.
The new Magisk installation instructions provide 3 options:

1. Install by patching boot.img, best approach (no booting into recovery every reboot to activate Magisk) but you need to have ramdisk support (indicated in the Magisk app).
2. Install by patching recovery.img, when no ramdisk support, but you need to boot to recovery on every boot/reboot otherwise Magisk isn't loaded.
3. Install by renaming Magisk.apk to Magisk.zip and flash using custom recovery. Now considered 'legacy' install method by Magisk, better to use the 1st or 2nd option according to the instructions.

I have found that my device (Mi 9T) does not use ramdisk, so option 1 is not usable for me.

Trying option 2 is a little unclear as to which recovery to use. It seems like they refer to using the stock recovery pulled from the ROM, but that recovery does not exist in the Xiaomi.eu ROMs. Also, if you were to patch and flash the recovery pulled from the ROM, you'll end up with the stock recovery which you cannot use to flash/update the Miui ROMs, perform backups etc...
I tried patching the TWRP recovery that was installed on the phone, but it resulted in the phone booting to fastboot when following the instructions to boot with Magisk support, so I think you cannot use TWRP or other custom recoveries with method 2.

Renaming the Magisk.apk to Magisk.zip is the only method that successfully installed Magisk for me when using a Xiaomi.eu ROM.

To get back to your issue, are you able to try the same with TWRP recovery instead of OrangeFox? Maybe there is some compatibility issue with OrangeFox.

Reactions: fatjoez
orange fox is a custom version of twrp
we use the step 1 just when you don't have twrp, you already have it
step 2 does not concern our Xiaomi.eu ROMs so forget about it
best way is to rename the app and go through recovery
or uninstall magisk binary completely and install the apk file on ur system then install from the inside with the recommended option listed there

Reactions: fatjoez