Marshmallow Upgrade

Hi, I have a MI4 running on 5.12.11 weekly (MULTI ROM).
Can I first update ttwice to 5.12.17 and after that directly to 6.3.17 or do I have to flash all ROMs from 6.1.x and then stepswise up to 6.3.17?

Can I first update ttwice to 5.12.17 and after that directly to 6.3.17 or do I have to flash all ROMs from 6.1.x and then stepswise up to 6.3.17?

First double update of 5.12.17 is mandatory to merge partitions.
Then it depends how comfortable you are with fastboot and twrp.
You could take 6.3.17 rom, extract twrp I'm from it on your pc.
Then copy the rom untouched zip file to the root of your phone..
Then turn the phone in fastboot, flash the extracted recovery
Fastboot devices
Fastboot flash recovery yourecoveryimgfile

Then boot immediately on recovery twrp.
From it install 6.3.17 zip file, wipe cache and that's it.

By the way did you executed the twrp backup as suggested just in case? But I confirm it took some time to reboot and the phone was hot. Now runs fine.
i've done someting in the first time, when i install again all went just fine, thanks for your great help, all update i'm in 6.3.17.

Reactions: jc rey

The way I did update (and a pretty safe way to do it) was:

first of all copy the versions 5.12.17, 6.2.18, 6.2.25 and 6.3.17 to your device.

1. update to 5.12.17 twice to merge your partitions. ( Marshmellow ROMS don't fit on small partitions)
when you flashed it 2x your partition has become 1.2 Gb (you can chheck that with any disk info app.
2. Then via updater app, update 6.2.18, let it boot (this can take a while, but no worries).
Update all your apps because you are now on a higher version than you came from.
Reboot again and if you want to, wipe your data (is not necessary).
3. Via updater app, flash 6.2.25. This will replace your MI recovery for TWRP.
This will also take a longer time , but again....no worries :)
4. When your phone has been fully rebooted, go to updater app again and select "reboot into recovery".
You will see that it will boot into TWRP recovery.
5. In TWRP recovery select install, and then select 6.3.17 to flash it.
After it's flashed, you can do a whipe Data, Cache and Dalvik , this also isn't really necessary, but it isn't a bad option eihter .

If everything went well (and why shouldn't it) you are on 6.3.17

Now you can flash SuperSU on your device to get root. To do this, reboot into recovery and install SuperSU

Last edited:
Thank you Zhoutieren, I followed your guide and I am now on 6.3.17 without facing any problem.
Also thanks to jc rey, your other posts were also helpful.

Reactions: Zhoutieren
Hi,
Just followed Zhoutieren tutorial and everything worked great. I have however one big issue. I can't install anything from Google Play ... I have a message saying that the device isn't compatible.
Any ideias how to fix this ?

Thank you.

Edited: Fixed it :) Aside from full wipe I also had to format the data. Everything is working smooth now ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zhoutieren
Hello guys
In my Mi4 i have installed this rom:
xiaomi.eu_multi_cancro_V6.6.3.0.KXDCNCF_v6-4.4
What can i do to upgrade to marshmallow?
Thanks

Hi everyone, I've been trying to update my mi4-LTE from 5.11.26 to 5.12.17 but it keeps failing saying "error applying update", do you guys have any clue how I could solve this ?