Mi 10 - "Couldn't unlock" "Unknown error"

Iain_B

Members
Mar 25, 2013
As above, for about a week. No countdown, and no indication that it will unlock any time in the future. 'Verifying device' has a green tick against it. 'Unlocking' has a red 'X'. 'Done' has nothing against it. The 'Unlock again' button works, and produces the same result. I assume that my account has been verified as I would not be able to reach this stage.

I am sure that I have seen somewhere that there is another way of unlocking it, or bypassing this, but I want to be sure that there is no risk of bricking it - well, as sure as one can be!

Any pointers, please.
TIA

Purely by accident, I think that I found the answer myself.
It was to do with the security permissions of the folder that I had installed the fastboot, adb, etc files in. Having read all of the various instructions in the "TWRP XIAOMI MI INSTALLATION 10" thread, I had downloaded the latest TWRP file, and was changing the 'instructions.txt' file. But it would not allow me to save. So that is when I had to change the security permissions.
I changed that to give myself full permission, and the unlock worked straight away. I didn't even have to wait a single hour.
Problem solved!