Mi 10 (umi) Blackscreen/Hardbricked after update to latest MIUI12 Stable - need help

r3inhard

Members
Feb 19, 2021
I managed to hardbrick my half-year old mi 10 by updating to the latest stable update . I was updating from 12.2.8 to 12.2.9

It went in the stock miui recovery by accident (put my case on the wrong way and the buttons got forced...). After rebooting i was stuck in fastboot, but unable to boot/install twrp unfortunately. So i went and reflashed my stock rom (without formatting data) in order to get twrp working (standart procedure, had to do this for alle of the last few updates)
I wet and installed the 12.2.9 (had 12.2.8 before), but twrp went to error code 7 when trying to install the rom. Then i tried to reboot to recovery, in order to try again. However, the phone is compleatly stuck after trying to reboot... The screen is just black, and the phone doesn´t do anything, as if it was complealy dead.

The only thing possiblle would be EDL mode now, as far as i can tell, But i dont have an authorised mi account. Have you had any similar experience? Is there any other way i can fix this?

Last edited:
Reactions: chinghao96
I've not dealt with stable ROMs. But over the last few months there have been problems with the Mi 10 (umi) and TWRP and decryption. It has not been possible to flash any version of TWRP that can decrypt. Therefore an earlier version of TWRP has to be flashed - but this cannot decrypt. You can however BOOT (not flash) into a later version of TWRP and decrypt, and have good access to the TWRP functions.

if you are stuck in a loop, you can try flashing the following TWRP - 3.4.0 (LittleTurtle2333) - from GitHub
Use the Fastboot command:
fastboot flash recovery umi-3.4.0-11.0-1110.img
This puts this TWRP into the recovery partition - this is permanent, until replaced. This should help stabilise. This will not decrypt.

If you want to decrypt and use TWRP, you can use 3.4.2b-0623 TWRP.
But, DO REMEMBER - this is only for booting (temporary). DO NOT FLASH this version of TWRP.
fastboot boot TWRP_umi.img
This decrypts your data and gives access to all of the basic TWRP functions. It takes about 70 seconds to load up. You have to sign in with a pattern, not password. And you have to click a few mms beneath the target.

(Disclaimer: This is how to sort the weekly beta ROMs, so I cannot guarantee it will work with the stable version, but probably will!)

On your Error 7:
I've not heard of error 7 with Mi 10. If you research this error, you will find that the two possible causes for this error are either incompatibility with a file (eg. wrong version or not for your phone), or a corruption.

Reactions: Poney70
Yes, i have experienced similar issues with ecryption and some versions of twrp. Unfortunately i dont get to fastboot...

I might have fried my emmc by flashing too often, lol. Flashing with edl doesn´t work either so im lost.

EMMC gets abused by quite a bit when you always first have to flash stock fastboot rom in order to boot to twrp again...

I've not dealt with stable ROMs. But over the last few months there have been problems with the Mi 10 (umi) and TWRP and decryption. It has not been possible to flash any version of TWRP that can decrypt. Therefore an earlier version of TWRP has to be flashed - but this cannot decrypt. You can however BOOT (not flash) into a later version of TWRP and decrypt, and have good access to the TWRP functions.

if you are stuck in a loop, you can try flashing the following TWRP - 3.4.0 (LittleTurtle2333) - from GitHub
fastboot flash recovery umi-3.4.0-11.0-1110.img
This puts this TWRP into the recovery partition - this is permanent, until replaced. This should help stabilise. This will not decrypt.

If you want to decrypt and use TWRP, you can use 3.4.2b-0623 TWRP.
But, DO REMEMBER - this is only for booting (temporary). DO NOT FLASH this version of TWRP.
fastboot boot TWRP_umi.img
This decrypts your data and gives access to all of the basic TWRP functions. It takes about 70 seconds to load up. You have to sign in with a pattern, not password. And you have to click a few mms beneath the target.

(Disclaimer: This is how to sort the weekly beta ROMs, so I cannot guarantee it will work with the stable version, but probably will!)

Hi, may I know what is will not decrypt mean? if my phone don't have lock screen, I can use this LittleTurtle2333 to flash the ROM? if I have lock screen I need to use 3.4.2b-0623 TWRP to flash my ROM? is this correct? Thank You.