MI-2 Device Review

What is it with some manufactures and a lack of removable storage? I understand that, in areas where data signal is constant and stable, cloud storage is perhaps a viable alternative. But for those of us where data signal is variable at best, shipping a phone with just 16GB of storage is crazy. This seems like an genuinely excellent phone but, like the Nexus series, it's pointless for me without the inclusion of a SD card slot of some sort.

Having said that I'm sure it will sell out in minutes, so I doubt that Xiaomi are quaking in their boots over my comments, but it would be nice if they gave this feature more consideration in the future.
I think its to cut costs mostly.

Signal strenght of phone compare to one x or gs3? Audio in call?
Call audio is very clear, noise cancellation works very well.

Signal is always dependent on location and your network but i'm seeing improvements overall making calls

Call audio is very clear, noise cancellation works very well.

Signal is always dependent on location and your network but i'm seeing improvements overall making calls

obviously, but thanks for answer. I mean for you with your previous phone and operator in same place compared with other phones with same operator

1. Yes
2. Yes, later :)
3. There is about 50,000 32GB Devices rumoured to be available for the Sale launch. A total of about 200,000 devices are also going to be available. We've heard rumour of something happening between the 13th October and 18th.

Anyone attempting to purchase from the Xiaomi web site may just need to be reminded that 10am is about 3am morning UK time. So check your time zone difference if you're planning on staying awake to purchase the phone before it goes out of stock.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks chap, I need to get that address now...

Do you know of any trusted retailers shipping to UK? I dont mind paying extra

edit: do you have the link to their store?

Thanks for the review, Mark!
Was there a language selection option on first boot? I'm anxious as to how I'll navigate the menus if they're not in English when mine arrives...

Also: how would someone go about flashing the MIUI UK ROM onto it after they've got it? Does the device come pre-rooted?
Is the Mi-Two supporting Google Play right out of the box, or will we need to download the apk, or flash the MIUI ROM onto it to get it on there?

Finally: Do you think it's worth trusting an AliExpress pre-order scheme?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the review, Mark!
Was there a language selection option on first boot? I'm anxious as to how I'll navigate the menus if they're not in English when mine arrives...

Also: how would someone go about flashing the MIUI UK ROM onto it after they've got it? Does the device come pre-rooted?
Is the Mi-Two supporting Google Play right out of the box, or will we need to download the apk, or flash the MIUI ROM onto it to get it on there?

Thanks again!
Hi,

Yes, there is a new Xiaomi welcome system but you can select English and navigate it easily. One thing you need to do is have a SIM Card in the phone when setting it up or you wont get too far ;-)

As for flashing our ROM, just download the aries zip file and put this on your devices main root storage. Open the updater app, press menu, select installation pack manually then navigate to the zip file and flash as normal ;-)

Not sure about AliPay but it seems to be legit, maybe do some more research?

Yes pre-root is on the device so no messing about needed. No out of the box support for Google services, thats where our site helps you with the ROM enhancements.

Reactions: amruth92

Which resiller from AliExpress you have in mind? They look legit and safe i.e. they hold the money you pay until you get what you ordered then they pay the seller

You not think the silver coating is preventing it?
I don't think so, there is no LED under it, SunPeng confirmed this on his "weibo"
And some chinese media also disassembled MI2, we can see there is no interface on the one side of the mainboard, which side closed to the screen, so even if there are LEDs under it, they can't connect to the mainboard, so they won't shine

I don't think so, there is no LED under it, SunPeng confirmed this on his "weibo"
And some chinese media also disassembled MI2, we can see there is no interface on the one side of the mainboard, which side closed to the screen, so even if there are LEDs under it, they can't connect to the mainboard, so they won't shine
That's disappointing :-(

Hi Mark! Plz give to us more information about battery! 45% better than MiOne is not enouth for me... Plz screenshot of battery usage and information about time of life from one recharge if U have this info!

Agreed! many chinese fans of xiaomi are also disappointed, although i can accept it
Design should be changed for retail at the least I think or give us the chance for a model with this on.

Hi Mark! Plz give to us more information about battery! 45% better than MiOne is not enouth for me... Plz screenshot of battery usage and information about time of life from one recharge if U have this info!
Would not be accurate as i'd need to reset my stats.

At least could I use it for 2-3 days with not hard useage like I use my Optimus 2X with MIUI based on 2.3.7 at now? or 24-30 hours is the best MiTwo can? \sorry for my english plz, its not my native\

Hi,

Yes, there is a new Xiaomi welcome...
Thanks Mark! :)

Which resiller from AliExpress you have in mind? They look legit and safe i.e. they hold the money you pay until you get what you ordered then they pay the seller
They're called "ETERNAL ELECTRONIC TEAM Co., LTD", and I've been talking to a guy from there called Andy Mo. I've paid around £20 as a deposit, and I'll pay the rest when I get the phone, I suppose.
I just can't wait for it to be released! That's the hardest part of the whole thing!

Thanks Mark! :)

They're called "ETERNAL ELECTRONIC TEAM Co., LTD", and I've been talking to a guy from there called Andy Mo. I've paid around £20 as a deposit, and I'll pay the rest when I get the phone, I suppose.
I just can't wait for it to be released! That's the hardest part of the whole thing!
Should be 18th October if rumours are true :)

The Capacitive Buttons are designed to be no backlight, so it is not a software problem and it will not to be fixed in a new ROM release, and the consumer version probably will be the same.
Many users of MI-1 in china like to turn off the backlight at night, for save battery life and avoid glare when they using phone to read books on bed.
Considering that, and many workers of Xiaomi also think it doesn't matter, they can use the phone naturally without buttons backlight, so it is designed like this

yep, actually i have those buttons backlight off all the time, i dont need it as i know where to press and it might save me a little very tiny bit of battery...

Some samples taken with the MI-2 Camera:

N2IIx.jpg

7oef8.jpg

how about some night shots, and also day shots with the sun out there (i want to see if they fixed some of the flare from xiaomi 1)

Mark, will the extra 3100mah battery be an extra addon, or we can directly purchase it to replace the original one?

I am not Mark, but I know that 3100 battery is only an extra option.
Firstly I want to know how long 2000 battery is working, maybe no need 3100 battery at all)