Mi 5s Plus & Ota Updates

Nov 7, 2016
Hello, I'm new to this forum so please pardon me if this question has been asked already. I just want to understand how OTA support is going to work after flashing a xiaomi.eu ROM on my Mi 5S Plus.
Can anyone explain that to me? And what in case of upgrade to MIUI 9 (for example) ? I will have to flash it via TWRP or it will upgrade via OTA?

Thanks for answering

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please pardon me if this question has been asked already. I just want to understand how OTA support is going to work after flashing a xiaomi.eu ROM on my Mi 5S Plus.
Can anyone explain that to me? And what in case of upgrade to MIUI 9 (for example) ? I will have to flash it via TWRP or it will upgrade via OTA?

Thanks for answering
In my experience ROM has to be downloaded separately and flashed via twrp, using select package from within the ROM.
Updates do not arrive OTA.
Developers versions are updated weekly but IMHO not always stable, so I switched to stable, which got update about monthly.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
663ee8eae53f613f522646c1e8c30d76.jpg

Thank you for reporrting your experience. It is not clear because in this forum i've found some threads where they say OTA support is active but it is only monthly. And in any case it download the full ROM (about 1Gb). Do you know if there is a way to get notified about new updates uploaded on xiaomi.eu? Thank you a lot for your help

Thank you for reporrting your experience. It is not clear because in this forum i've found some threads where they say OTA support is active but it is only monthly. And in any case it download the full ROM (about 1Gb). Do you know if there is a way to get notified about new updates uploaded on xiaomi.eu? Thank you a lot for your help
Excellent question
Actually no
In my experience the OTA Updates are NOT notified via checking for update even if there is an available update. I have to follow and check monthly, download and update via "choose package" option, after which it reboots installs and restarts.
IMHO the trouble is worth it because at least you do get the updates, in contrast to no updates on other manufacturers, or shady single man ROM operations.

Where are you getting your device from.

Excellent question
Actually no
In my experience the OTA Updates are NOT notified via checking for update even if there is an available update. I have to follow and check monthly, download and update via "choose package" option, after which it reboots installs and restarts.
IMHO the trouble is worth it because at least you do get the updates, in contrast to no updates on other manufacturers, or shady single man ROM operations.

Where are you getting your device from.

Actually I'm considering different online shops. I guess the best for me would be grossoshop.net because it will give 2 years warranty with service in Italy (which is my country). By the way, I'm not new with the world of custom ROM, I'm a cyanogenmod user but I only have experience with Samsung device, where everything it's pretty easy thanks to Odin. So, never used the ADB way of flashing TWRP and I am a little scared of bricking my device. Last but not least, I'm not going to buy a device with a custom ROM preinstalled because I want to update or upgrade it myself.

Thank you a lot for your useful answer.

M.

No worries - I am sure you will do well - after looking at the ways to do this.

Personally - I have moved away from custom ROMS the time and effort of setting up devices seems a lot.

I am interested in this device - when the global version comes up - I will look at that. Meanwhile. The Mi Max Prime (64 gb/3 gb Ram) has been great for battery life - though it does not support US LTE bands.

Personally - I have moved away from custom ROMS the time and effort of setting up devices seems a lot.

I am interested in this device - when the global version comes up - I will look at that. Meanwhile. The Mi Max Prime (64 gb/3 gb Ram) has been great for battery life - though it does not support US LTE bands.

Yea, fortunately the band 20 is not that important in Italy. For what I've been reading lately, Mi 5S or Mi 5S Plus are not going to be supported globally, and even the new Mi Note 2 is not going to be sold outside china officially. That means no global official ROM (developer or stable) even if, for example, the Mi Note 2 has a "global" version that will only mean covering all the bands needed around the world to get LTE reception. Anyway, if Xiaomi will change their mind we will all be super hayy I guess! :)

Thank you for your support, have a good day mate!
M.

Reactions: Badrsj

Just because we spoke about it, on en.miui.com appeared an OFFICIAL GLOBAL ROM for the Mi 5S Plus... Maybe we will see it sold globally in the next days! ;)

Reactions: Badrsj
Excellent I'm looking for the global version of this device. Thanks

Actually I'm considering different online shops. I guess the best for me would be grossoshop.net because it will give 2 years warranty with service in Italy (which is my country). By the way, I'm not new with the world of custom ROM, I'm a cyanogenmod user but I only have experience with Samsung device, where everything it's pretty easy thanks to Odin. So, never used the ADB way of flashing TWRP and I am a little scared of bricking my device. Last but not least, I'm not going to buy a device with a custom ROM preinstalled because I want to update or upgrade it myself.

M.

M.[/QUOTE]

M.

Hello

Do GrossoShop ships from an EU shop like Honorbuy (from Trieste Italy), so you don't have to pay WAT?

Lasse T
Sweden

Hello

Do GrossoShop ships from an EU shop like Honorbuy (from Trieste Italy), so you don't have to pay WAT?

Lasse T
Sweden

Yes, It has a EU store but not all the devices are shipped from there. Anyway you can choose SF express as shipping method which will not make you pay any additional cost due to custom fees.

The Official Global Developer ROM has been released...so multilanguage support and official updates! I'm running it right now and it's super fast!!

Inviato dal mio MI 5s Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

How about camera stereo mode? can refocus after shooting. EIS work on video mode?

thanks. waiting for it.
Looks like (on my device) everything works! The only thing, camera doesn't really work great in dark light conditions...I guess it's about the os not yet optimized the best way!

Inviato dal mio MI 5s Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Aked