Mi 8 Bricked from nowhere

Zirocks

Members
Oct 13, 2018
Hi,
I have a big problem and i don't really know where to ask help so i'm trying here.

So , my Mi 8 is stucked in EDL mode, I don't know how, let me explain what happened:
Yesterday, when I woke up, I took my phone and the screen was all black, I could only saw the notification bar on the top and then I got a lot of app error like "XXX had encountered a problem, send log or cancel" ( translated from french ), the phone then rebooted and was stucked on MI logo.
After ~10 min, it didn't booted so I reseted it by keeping power for 10/15s and then the phone booted properly,I saw I could download a new xiaomi.eu update , I tried to download it on my phone but it said something like "the mirroirs are busy try again later", I played some games, battery went low ( 18% ) I put it on charge and then I came back 30/40 min later and the phone was bricked :/

So here I am , I tried some thing like boot in fastboot and recovery ( both didn't worked ) so I tried to re-flash by EDL and there's my problem.
When I try to flash using Miflash , the flash seem to start and then I have the message "ping target via firehose"and than "write time out, maybe device was disconnected"

My BL is unlocked, I tried different USB ports, USB cables, computers, multiple ROM and multiple Miflash versions, I even tried the pinpoint method.

I'm starting to think that the problem is the emmc who seems to be damaged :/

Can someone help me please ?

Last edited:
Which TWRP were you using? Please connect to a usb 2.0 port and double click "flash_all.bat" file in miflash directory

Which TWRP were you using? Please connect to a usb 2.0 port and double click "flash_all.bat" file in miflash directory

Thanks for your quick reply !

I don't exactly remember but I think I was using TWRP 3.3.0 or 3.3.1, I tried what you said and it gave me the message I attached.

If I understand the rom I used isn't for Mi8 ? Because , I tested "dipper_images_V11.0.7.0.QEACNXM" and "dipper_global_images_V11.0.4.0.QEAMIXM" and same message.

Edit : I tried to comment the 2 lines on flash_all.bat to avoid the error and now I have the "waiting for any device" line instead. I don't know if it's helpful :x

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
are you sure it is mi8 but not mi8 lite, mi8 pro, mi8 se, etc.?

from your image, you could try to run below command in command prompt

fastboot getvar product

it should tell you what is your phone model

Reactions: Zirocks
are you sure it is mi8 but not mi8 lite, mi8 pro, mi8 se, etc.?

from your image, you could try to run below command in command prompt

fastboot getvar product

it should tell you what is your phone model

Yes I have a Mi8 ( I verified the imei on xiaomi to be sure I didn't get a fake mi8 )

The command give me the message < waiting for any device > , the problem is that i'm stuck on EDL , I can't boot on fastboot :/

seems it is better send it back to customer service to flash the rom again in EDL (9008) mode then

Hi,
I have a big problem and i don't really know where to ask help so i'm trying here.

So , my Mi 8 is stucked in EDL mode, I don't know how, let me explain what happened:
Yesterday, when I woke up, I took my phone and the screen was all black, I could only saw the notification bar on the top and then I got a lot of app error like "XXX had encountered a problem, send log or cancel" ( translated from french ), the phone then rebooted and was stucked on MI logo.
After ~10 min, it didn't booted so I reseted it by keeping power for 10/15s and then the phone booted properly,I saw I could download a new xiaomi.eu update , I tried to download it on my phone but it said something like "the mirroirs are busy try again later", I played some games, battery went low ( 18% ) I put it on charge and then I came back 30/40 min later and the phone was bricked :/

So here I am , I tried some thing like boot in fastboot and recovery ( both didn't worked ) so I tried to re-flash by EDL and there's my problem.
When I try to flash using Miflash , the flash seem to start and then I have the message "ping target via firehose"and than "write time out, maybe device was disconnected"

My BL is unlocked, I tried different USB ports, USB cables, computers, multiple ROM and multiple Miflash versions, I even tried the pinpoint method.

I'm starting to think that the problem is the emmc who seems to be damaged :/

Can someone help me please ?

Follow the steps that I listed here:

@Zirocks

Wait you are the same guy.

Did you read my post? You logs indicate a usb issue, you need a usb hub ( combined with the steps that I listed) and then you will be back up and running. lots of people ( Including myself) have had this exact issue and that solves it.

Thanks everyone for your help !

seems it is better send it back to customer service to flash the rom again in EDL (9008) mode then

If I can't resolve the problem I'll try to contact them, but i'm pretty sure they will not accept my phone, even if I pay.

@Zirocks

Wait you are the same guy.

Did you read my post? You logs indicate a usb issue, you need a usb hub ( combined with the steps that I listed) and then you will be back up and running. lots of people ( Including myself) have had this exact issue and that solves it.

Yes, it's me :D
I first posted my problem here, and then I tought posting on xda would hit more people as it's not directly a xiaomi.eu rom problem

I answered you from xda and then I saw your post here so I don't know where you want to continue the conversation ^^
( I don't think copy/paste my answer here would be a great idea ^^ )

Thanks everyone for your help !

If I can't resolve the problem I'll try to contact them, but i'm pretty sure they will not accept my phone, even if I pay.

Yes, it's me :D
I first posted my problem here, and then I tought posting on xda would hit more people as it's not directly a xiaomi.eu rom problem

I answered you from xda and then I saw your post here so I don't know where you want to continue the conversation ^^
( I don't think copy/paste my answer here would be a great idea ^^ )

As I mentioned on XDA:

You phone thinks that it is a different device, because you apparently flashed the wrong rom by accident. probably a mi8lite? Anyway, the good news is that after reading the flashall.bat file again, I tested removing a couple of lines that identifies the device before flashing and the script works without the getvar command. So follow the steps below and you should be back up and running soon.

In the batch file "flashall" script delete these lines below
fastboot $* getvar product 2>&1 | grep "^product: *dipper"
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then echo "Missmatching image and device"; exit 1; fi

After deleting those lines , save the file and then try the flashall process again.

This time it should work, and your phone will be restored.