Mi Pad 4 Plus LTE - Can you use it as a phone with EU rom?

ZenXXII

Members
Nov 8, 2016
Hey guys. I just ordered a Mi Pad 4 Plus LTE for XMAS. Besides wanting a tablet to read my manga, I went for this LTE version so I could have a backup phone of sorts in case my old Mi 5s kicks the can (experiencing poor battery issues).

Whilst watching reviews about it, I've found out from many of them that "the official software doesn't support phone calls despite having all the necessary hardware to support it". Maybe it has something to do with global marketing? I don't know why they disabled a feature but does the EU ROM support making phone calls?

Salve,io ho ricevuto il tablet ieri è sto ancora cercando di capire se è possibile effettuare le chiamate,la rom ha una app per il telefono ma non si avvia va in crash

Only with third party app. I am living in Belgium and my provider has an app to make phone calls with a tablet with only data connection. This works excellent when a data connection is available (wifi or LTE) The only problem is that the LTE does not provide the 800 mhz band which is a problem in Europe. It does mean that this tablet is not het best choice neither for GB nor Europe nor oversea. It is a missed chance if you lance a tablet without the 20 band.
sms is possible.

Hello, I can tell you that even when using the last Xiaomi.eu 10.3 rom, it aint possible to use your mipad 4 lte as a real phone. Though with every wifi only tablet it is possible to make perfect OUTgoing calls. Just install the mobileVOIP app. Then buy some credit from one of the betamax voip providers (delmonte). In my country cheapbuzzer is the supplier I use (call rates are reeeeealy very cheap). You can find all prices and different suppliers for your country here: http://www.voip-comparison.com. For making calls with this app you just need a wifi connection, that's all. Of course the call consumes also some data. You also can choose which of you're tel.nrs are showed when you call someone. It can be a good solution to make calls with your tablet when you're mobile network doesn't offer a good coverage in your region.

Hello, I can tell you that even when using the last Xiaomi.eu 10.3 rom, it aint possible to use your mipad 4 lte as a real phone. Though with every wifi only tablet it is possible to make perfect OUTgoing calls. Just install the mobileVOIP app. Then buy some credit from one of the betamax voip providers (delmonte). In my country cheapbuzzer is the supplier I use (call rates are reeeeealy very cheap). You can find all prices and different suppliers for your country here: http://www.voip-comparison.com. For making calls with this app you just need a wifi connection, that's all. Of course the call consumes also some data. You also can choose which of you're tel.nrs are showed when you call someone. It can be a good solution to make calls with your tablet when you're mobile network doesn't offer a good coverage in your region.
For ur info, actually mi pad 4 lte has the ability to make a volte call but using older rom 9.x.x. in China. If ur mi pad using these rom, u can enable volte function by few steps

Hello, I believe that in CHINA it will work. In Europe I think that the bandwiths that operators are using are different than the Chinese specs. So that can be the reason why it aint work. Can you receive INcoming calls with voLTE ?
P.S. Can you give the full name of the 9.x.x. ROM you are mentioning here + if possible a link where I can download it?

Hello, I believe that in CHINA it will work. In Europe I think that the bandwiths that operators are using are different than the Chinese specs. So that can be the reason why it aint work.

No, that's not the point. Using the device as a phone is blocked in the device itself - it has nothing to do with the bands, because the SIM card works perfectly well for sending and receiving SMS. Just calling is not "allowed", for whatever reason. Xiaomi just simply decided that way.