Mi11 Ultra is very hot

Oct 4, 2020
my Problem is that my Ultra( 12.5.7 stable )sometimes is very hot suddenly. there is no difference if i make a.call or the phone is on a table without using. it is so hot that the phone turn of everything Like wlan… .
after a few minutes all is ok .
this is dangerous hot
please help

Reactions: huuthien
my Problem is that my Ultra( 12.5.7 stable )sometimes is very hot suddenly. there is no difference if i make a.call or the phone is on a table without using. it is so hot that the phone turn of everything Like wlan… .
after a few minutes all is ok .
this is dangerous hot
please help
I only have the Mi 11, but I observed similar issues in any stable ROM. ( I tested all of them )

I switched to weekly and the issues are gone here.

Reactions: Poney70
Ultra gets hot on every action, Phone calls, internet, kamera ……
is it possible to change from the stable to beta or original global without deleting???
i cant use the phone with this big Bug its top hot!!!

Ultra gets hot on every action, Phone calls, internet, kamera ……
is it possible to change from the stable to beta or original global without deleting???
i cant use the phone with this big Bug its top hot!!!
You mean without format data?

If so, no you can't.

Just switch to 60hz and it will be cool.
The problem is 120hz refresh rate.
Well, that is not the problem, since the phone and display is supporting 120Hz.
The problem are bugs in the software and poor power/thermal management.

Sure you can switch to 60Hz as an workaround, but even so once the bug hits you again the same will happen just slower that in 120Hz mode.

And what can i do?? Will this problem be solved? I habe a 120hz Phone and cant usw ist?

Are you from Germany ?:)

Well, these are the options, I guess:

1) Switch to an EEA/Global ROM and see if you still have the problem.
2) Switch to an EU weekly ROM ( that fixed my Mi 11 ) and see if you still have the problem.
3) Wait until Xiaomi is releasing a new stable and use the 60Hz workaround until then.

( Regardless of what you are doing use the feedback app and report the bug(s) to Xiaomi. )

Sure you can switch to 60Hz as an workaround, but even so once the bug hits you again the same will happen just slower that in 120Hz mode.

Yeah agree with you. But at this junction only can see if there's updates to solve the thermal issues. I also found that setting manually at 90Hz is good too :)

Yeah agree with you. But at this junction only can see if there's updates to solve the thermal issues. I also found that setting manually at 90Hz is good too :)

Thermal & power management on these devices is completely broken, LTPO implementation is completely broken,
so no wonder is drawing power like crazy and as result, the device may get hot af.

Yes, 90Hz helps here too, but I set it just because LTPO is broken and it helps a bit with SOT...

Hello Everyone,

I have to admit a started to use my phone just a little to do video recording ( 4k 30fps) - for a 5 minutes video and the phone became super hot and gave me the overheating message .. this can't be normal .. I using Mi 11 Ultra ( Chinese variant 12Gb/512Gb ) with Xioami.Eu weekly Rom 21.6.2 ... anyboday know if the Official Global Rom gives the same Overheating issues ? Other than that everything else is Perfect.

Reactions: Stefan1967
Hello Everyone,

I have to admit a started to use my phone just a little to do video recording ( 4k 30fps) - for a 5 minutes video and the phone became super hot and gave me the overheating message .. this can't be normal .. I using Mi 11 Ultra ( Chinese variant 12Gb/512Gb ) with Xioami.Eu weekly Rom 21.6.2 ... anyboday know if the Official Global Rom gives the same Overheating issues ? Other than that everything else is Perfect.

I don't own an Mi 11 Ultra, but my Mi 11 had the same problems at the beginning.. No that is not normal but seems to be normal for Xiaomi development ;).

The Global version is completely broken on my phone, EEA is working but...

I didn't recorded 4k in a while but I just did a 3 times 5minutes recording test. The phone isn't even getting really warm and power draw is normal too. I'm also on EU 21.6.2. But this wasn't always like this :). I had to wait a while for Xiaomi to fix the weird crashing and overheating bugs.

Reactions: Poppabradj
I don't own an Mi 11 Ultra, but my Mi 11 had the same problems at the beginning.. No that is not normal but seems to be normal for Xiaomi development ;).

I didn't recorded 4k in a while but I just did a 3 times 5minutes recording test. The phone isn't even getting really warm and power draw is normal too. I'm also on EU 21.6.2. But this wasn't always like this :). I had to wait a while for Xiaomi to fix the weird crashing and overheating bugs.
I really love this weekly Builds, like I said the only issue is the Overheating ... I can endure it until they fix, hopefully is sooner than later .. I just started to us this phone on Saturday after unlocking it and setting it up .. it's just amazing how great this phone is. I appreciate the quick response .. this community is very cool !

Reactions: Mark F
Hello Everyone,

This overheating while recording in 4K is not just a Xiaomi problem, a lot of the SD888 phones have or had this issue. I would get an overheat message on my OnePlus 9 as well but I think it's resolved after many many software updates.

This overheating while recording in 4K is not just a Xiaomi problem, a lot of the SD888 phones have or had this issue. I would get an overheat message on my OnePlus 9 as well but I think it's resolved after many many software updates.
Did they remove the overheat message?

As curious guy I did this test on POCO F3 and no any heating in recording both 4K at 30 FPS (stock camera) and 60 FPS (*no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* only).
I am on EU weekly ROM latest. Thanks EU team.

As curious guy I did this test on POCO F3 and no any heating in recording both 4K at 30 FPS and 60 FPS (*no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* only).
I am on EU weekly ROM latest. Thanks EU team.

Ehh.. even the normal Mi is nothing compared to the monster of the camera the Ultra has. The camera of my Galaxy S21 Ultra looks even small compared to the Mi 11 Ultra ;).

That need to have proper thermal management to not overheat.

Reactions: LOLO9393
Did they remove the overheat message?
You cannot remove it.. It is a hardware protection.. One needs to fine tune the SoC, power/ thermal management and the camera software.

Also we won't see the SoC fully optimized with a11.. Unless Xiaomi is pulling in back port patches for their kernels..

Im using weekly and it's still hot, are you guys sure it's software issue and not snapdragon 888?

It is always the software in these cases..

In case this is not clear let me try to explain this again ;)

it always starts with:

Some vendor designs a piece of HW ( In this case the Mi 11 Ultra ).
Based on the SoC/CPU used they have to decide about cooling ( and some other things but let's keep it simple ).

Now:

- the *new* SoC itself will receive optimizations from its vendor ( firmware, which is software too also ).
- all other HW pieces inside the devices ( camera, sensors, you name it, will go over the same process )

Next:

- OS support which means in this case:
- support for various features of the SoC in the Linux kernel
- once support is added, fine-tuning & bug fixing

Next:

- Linux <-> Android bridge
- Android itself
- Custom UI's/laucher support adoption of new features

Now with all pieces put in place fine-tuning and proper power & thermal management for the device
is possible without any hacks.

Let me go now to the problems various vendors have with SD888...

a11 uses a Linux kernel 5.4.x ( this isn't fully optimized for the SoC ), which means they have to add various
workarounds on their own, if they want it fixed sooner than a12 arrives, or backport fixes to their kernels & userland
applications.

In general, this is not any different from a new CPU & chipset from Intel or AMD or any other Vendor :),
*new* hardware needs proper support on different levels first, and that takes time.

So do we have to blame the vendors?

Yes, definitely!. They were aware of the problems from the device design beginning and decided to
either rush the release or designed the devices with the next major SW release ( a12+ in this case) in mind.

However, no worry, there are various possibilities to 'temporarily fix' the issues with minor performance hits.

Last edited:

There is a workaround to change the screen to 90hz, working perfectly on my mi 11 ultra. Download an app called SetEdit from play store and install, change the user refresh rate and peak refresh rate to 90hz from whatever you're currently on 60hz or 120hz.

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_214415.jpg
    IMG_20210609_214415.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20210609_214405.jpg
    IMG_20210609_214405.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 275
The Display HZ is not the problem.
I tried different ROMS everytime its the same.
Actually i usw 12.5.4 Fastboot.
Display is fhd / 60hz
Every Phone call the Phone gets HOT, my ear ist cooking!
Is the Problem only with CN phones with xiaomi.eu or with global phones which you can buy in a German Store, too?
I use my Phone very often for work and its not possible at the moment to use it!
So, soon i must Go back to my iPhone If there is No solution...