Mi3 Touch-Screen broken

ericx

Members
Feb 27, 2014
Hi there,

i bought myself a Xiaomi Mi3 last month in Shanghai and now its Touch-Screen is broken. The upper half of the screen reacts to touches the lower half doesn't react. There are several scratches all over the display and on right bottom corner a piece of the screen is missing.

I think i can manage to repair the phone but i cannot find a trustable replacement of the touch-screen in the web:
https://shop.brando.com/Xiaomi-Mi-3-Replacement-Touch-Screen_p10697c0587d004.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-For-XiaoMi-M3-Touch-Screen_1590629790.html
Anybody knows if you can trust these shops/people?

An other option would be to send it to friends in china. Will they get free replacement of the touch-screen in china? (got an original receipt 1999Yuan) There is a list of places where repairing it is possible as far as I understand: http://www.xiaomi.com/c/service/poststation/

The thing is if i send it to china i have to buy duty twice, right? Or is there a way the duty officers in Germany accept this duty-free for repair purposes??

Thanks to everybody who takes time to read this!

Best Greetings,

Eric

Hello Eric,

I will fly to Shanghai next Sunday and I have already planed to go to the "Xiaomi Shanghai store" (901, B Building, Shanghai Movie plaza, 595# Caoxi Road (North), XuHui district, Shanghai) on Saturday, March 8th. If you want me to, I could ask them about a replacement touch-screen and if there are any other options.

I also have a question for you: Where did you get the MI3 for that price?

Regards
se0067

that's a very gentle offer but i am in germany with the phone currently so i guess it would be a little problematic to get you that smart phone that fast. Also you may get into trouble with duty officers if you come back with more than 1 of these cell phones
I informed myself in german miui forum and they told me it's impossible to get this one repaired for free (even with guarantee) so now I ordered a new touch screen digitizer via ali baba. That should do it.

However i bought the mi3 for 2300Yuan in the building mentioned on this website (close to Shanghai Railway Station 6 stages building) http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/mobile-phone-market-t85559.html
The receipt says 1999Yuan but that's just for guarantee purposes.

Have a good time in Shanghai!

I am in Shanghai now and yesterday I went to that place mentioned above (for details see below). It is very easy to find. Use the links and take a look at the center of the map. It's inside the "Block 1, Kerry Everbright City". For correct alignment of map and satellite-images within China use ditu, otherwise try maps. One however has to know that the entrance is on the back of the building. If you come directly from the railroad station it looks like as if it is closed down. So just walk around and go in.

I got my MI3 WCDMA 64GB for 2750,- RMB instead of the "official" 2499,- RMB. To me, this difference in price is acceptable.

The only not so great thing - so far - is this: The serial number on the back of the phone and the package are identical. Both stickers look like as if they have not been tempered with. But the serial number that is shown if you run the build-in hardware test (call: *#*#64663#*#*) is a different one. But my phone seems to be not the only one showing this. And it already a big topic on a spanish forum. I know some Spanish, but little only, so for now I have not reached the end of this topic.

According to the Xiaomi's service page , I got what I wanted, but as a Unicom-model. Someone at the Xiaomi Service Center in Shanghai (see details below) where I went before I bought my phone told me that the only thing different between a "branded" and a "non-branded" phone could - depending on the provider - be a logo on the screen. But mine does not even have that. Whoever tries to use this service page should know that the captcha is math-related. So typing in "8x4" does not do the trick. Typing "32" instead does.

About my Unicom-MI3: It accepted both my German and my China Mobile SIM-cards without any issue. WARNING: If you are within China and you put in a non-China-SIM-card once you switch it back on you should go directly to settings as Data-Roaming - at least on my device - was activated! You will find this option here: Menu, Settings, Mobile networks.

Where I bought my phone:
Address : 188 Tian Mu West Road, Zhabei, Shanghai at the south-east-corner of Tian Mu Road and Min Li Road.
Opening times: Unknown. At around 8:30 pm I was still inside, people started packing new customers did not get in. So I assume that that's time when they close.
The entrance is at the south-east corner of that building. I got it from the dealer which is the furthest away from the entrance, right across that room. By the way: The dealer does neither speak nor understand any english! I was lucky as a chinese customer understood what I wanted and translated for me. The building was slightly changed after hat picture was taken (like the CD on top is gone) and it already was dark at 8 pm when I got there, but I still recognized it easily:

Update (August 31st, 2014):
The building was completely remodelled from the inside and the main entrance is now open again. The best of all: There are not just a few dealers anymore. Instead you will find now 3 huge floors packed with lots of booths of different sizes. If in here you do not find the smartphone you are looking for, I guess that that phone does not exist. It's just amazing. But we warned: Some of them do try to sell you fake phones. This is what happened when I got in and looked for a Mi2S for my wife. The first dealer gave me a phone and called it a Mi2S. So I took a look in the "About phone" section of the General settings. It looked ok. Next step: Recovery mode. This looked so not-MIUI-like and with all of the sudden the dealer wanted to show me another phone. I just said thanks and went to a different place. The 2nd dealer gave me a box, that looks like the one I got with my Mi3. It had a seal that looks original and it still was wrapped in clear folie. She opened the box up and gave me the phone: It looked good, brand-new and the recovery-mode looked like what I expected. This phone officially is not available anymore so I thought the price would go up again. However, I wanted that phone and I was willing to pay up to 1750,- RMB. And guess what: I got it for 1450,- RMB. I know that a Mi3 is not much more expensive anymore. But my wife just did not want it. She said it would be to big for her. So, here is what this building now looks like (the picture was taken on August 23rd, 2014):

Img1.jpg

Xiaomi's Service Center in Shanghai:
Address: 901, B Building, Shanghai Movie plaza, 595# Caoxi Road (North), XuHui district, Shanghai (ditu, maps)
Opening times: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00-18:00
Telephone (within China): 021-33685788

Another place to buy the Xiaomi Mi3 is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckles
Hello,

My screen has two cracks, both of them around the botton left side. None of the buttons, there is an area about the size of two sugar cubes in the bottom left corner that does not work, as well as about two fingers across around the middle part. Note that that there are no dark parts on the screen.... ie, I can look at pictures and whatnot.... the touch part is the one which is not working.

There are several threads both here and over at miui about replacing screens, but because I am a noob they did not answer all my concerns.

My first question is: How do I know which screen I need? Do I need THIS one or THIS one? The price difference is significant, and with repair costs estimated at $90 (local shop I e-mailed) it will almost be better to just buy a new one if I need to buy the latter one.

The second question I have is, can the screen really be fixed by us mere mortals? By that I mean we who do not have access to a Xiaomi shop. The reason I ask is because another user seemed to think it would not be possible. He used the pictures from the Xiaomi teardown as a guide.

Opened it,
Took the screws,Took the motherboard out,Disconnected everything possible and there no way to remove the battery dock in order to get to the frame of the screen and put the new screen on it,Its impossible to replace the screen for that model ;( Had to send it back to china and now to wait more 1 month to get it fixed by the company I bought from..
Oh xiaomi..Why you didnt did it simple like Xiaomi MI2

I think this is where the two different products come in. I have seen videos of people replacing screens where they have used hair driers. I am GUESSING one would use a hair drier if I only need the first product I linked to. If it is more serious and it turn out I need the second product, then I would likely face the same problems as Edo Yehezkel.

Am I anywhere near correct??

Last edited:
[Quote = "post Ericx: 199555, Miembro: 100663"] hola,

Me compré una Xiaomi Mi3 el mes pasado en Shanghai y ahora su pantalla táctil está roto. La mitad superior de la pantalla reacciona a toques la mitad inferior no reacciona. Hay varios rasguños en todo el display y en la esquina inferior derecha un pedazo de la pantalla no se encuentra.

Creo que soy capaz de reparar el teléfono, pero no puedo encontrar un sustituto confiable de la pantalla táctil en la web:
https://shop.brando.com/Xiaomi-Mi-3-Replacement-Touch-Screen_p10697c0587d004.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-For-XiaoMi-M3-Touch-Screen_1590629790.html
¿Alguien sabe si se puede confiar en estas tiendas / pueblo?

Otra opción sería enviar a amigos en China. ¿Van a conseguir el reemplazo libre de la pantalla táctil en China? (Tengo un recibo original 1999Yuan) Hay una lista de los lugares donde la reparación es posible por lo que yo entiendo: http://www.xiaomi.com/c/service/poststation/

La cosa es que si lo envío a China de que tengo que comprar dos veces el deber, ¿no? ¿O hay una manera en que los oficiales en servicio en Alemania aceptan esta libre de impuestos para fines de reparación?

Gracias a todos los que toma tiempo para leer esto!

Mejores Saludos,

Eric [/ quote]

En Win4Buy puede reparar su terminal Xiaomi mi3 con piezas originales, ya que ellos mismos son responsables de la distribución en España, tienen un montón de franquicias en toda España, trate de ponerse en contacto con ellos a través de la web: www.win4buy.com

Hello,

My screen has two cracks, both of them around the botton left side. None of the buttons, there is an area about the size of two sugar cubes in the bottom left corner that does not work, as well as about two fingers across around the middle part. Note that that there are no dark parts on the screen.... ie, I can look at pictures and whatnot.... the touch part is the one which is not working.

There are several threads both here and over at miui about replacing screens, but because I am a noob they did not answer all my concerns.

My first question is: How do I know which screen I need? Do I need THIS one or THIS one? The price difference is significant, and with repair costs estimated at $90 (local shop I e-mailed) it will almost be better to just buy a new one if I need to buy the latter one.

The second question I have is, can the screen really be fixed by us mere mortals? By that I mean we who do not have access to a Xiaomi shop. The reason I ask is because another user seemed to think it would not be possible. He used the pictures from the Xiaomi teardown as a guide.

I think this is where the two different products come in. I have seen videos of people replacing screens where they have used hair driers. I am GUESSING one would use a hair drier if I only need the first product I linked to. If it is more serious and it turn out I need the second product, then I would likely face the same problems as Edo Yehezkel.

Am I anywhere near correct??
Yea thats correct,After I shipped it to china (4 months and didnt get it yet,Thanks SPEmall wonderful service -_-) I realized that all I had to do was to use hair drier after I saw video of someone who did it on his galaxy s4 and it seems the galaxy s4 and xiaomi mi3 have the same look inside.

Yea thats correct,After I shipped it to china (4 months and didnt get it yet,Thanks SPEmall wonderful service -_-) I realized that all I had to do was to use hair drier after I saw video of someone who did it on his galaxy s4 and it seems the galaxy s4 and xiaomi mi3 have the same look inside.

Not good!

There are lots of places that have the digitizer "in stock" but they do not actually have it in stock. I ordered from 1buy.com, but they gave me the runaround for a while before admitting that they could not get me the product. I asked lots of other places, but they did not have it in stock either. I considered asking SPEmall to help me for a fee, but I am glad that I did not after reading what you have to say...

A few day ago I found the site http://dragon-tt.com/ and they actually had the Digitizer for only $35 and $20 DHL shipping to Norway. After I corrected an address mistake (which they noticed), they were very quick to send me the digitizer. Because it was so cheap (some sell it for $150), I am not 100% that it is original, but at this point I do not even care as long as I get my phone in order. Hoping to get it before V6 is released.

By the way, I found these videos while I was researching that may be useful for future people googling the problem... Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but has some tips of opening up the Xiaomi mi3.

http://v.pps.tv/play_3BF3IR.html

http://www.56.com/u59/v_MTAyMTY1MDU2.html

I just bought a touch screen from dragon tt, and I can say it's a really good shop.
I bought it last wednesday and I received today (France), via DHL

I figured out that it's quite hard to make the replacement :
You'll need a pry tool, a hair-drier or a decal remover, loca remover, loca glue, uv lamp ...
And it's very fragile, you may break your LCD screen when removing the touch screen.
Check samsung/iphone glass replacement video on youtube
I should have buy the whole screen (lcd + touch screen) it would have been a lot easier, and maybe cheaper because I haven't all these tools.

I asked a shop to fix it but they broke the LCD screen...
My advice is to not hesitate, buy the full screen (lcd + touch screen)

I asked a shop to fix it but they broke the LCD screen...
My advice is to not hesitate, buy the full screen (lcd + touch screen)

I concur.

I have the same experience. I bought the digitizer, gave it to a shop, but they broke the LCD screen in the process of removing the broken digitizer. They warned me in advance that it was a possibility, so I knew the risk. Unless you can get the digitizer very cheap and paying minimal or nothing at all for the shipment, it is not worth it to go with the digitizer alone.

After returning from holiday, I order the full LCD screen with digitizer from Dragon-TT.com. I delivered it to the shop and they fixed it without any problems. The phone now looks new and no problems as of yet.

At $83 for the screen assembly kit, they are the cheapest I have found (they also had the cheapest digitizer). Again the DHL fee was only $20, so lower than other places I have bought things from. They seem to be a very good shop and it is too bad that they do not sell other products as well. I love that they followed up by E-mail both times I bought from them to ensure shipment, and then to ask if the repair was successful. She also sent me a complimentary high transparent screenguard and a tempered glass screenguard without any charge.

Now I am looking forward to MIUI V6 :)

better to buy with complete set lcd
digitizer alone is not worth to change because it is very hard to change only digitizer very hard

should i buy touch screen + lcd + with frame
or
touch screen +lcd without frame
please guide me

Much better to buy with frame. Dragon-TT is a great shop. But right now you could get the complete screen with frame cheaper on Aliexpress ( Usd 37 )

Reactions: minxie
Much better to buy with frame. Dragon-TT is a great shop. But right now you could get the complete screen with frame cheaper on Aliexpress ( Usd 37 )
will there be any problem if i buy only touch screen digitiser + lcd without frame...it is only 25 usd on aliexpress.
will i be able to get the phone repaired without buying the frame.??

will there be any problem if i buy only touch screen digitiser + lcd without frame...it is only 25 usd on aliexpress.

Yes ,you can buy only lcd + touch screen without frame . You can use a hair dryer to blow it and then suck the old frame from your old screen . Like this ,you can use your old frame . Hope it is helpful for you .

Of course you can but its certainly slightly more complicated . It all depends upon your personal skills. Check the videos for Mi3w screen replacement and you will get a fairly good idea of whats to be done in each case and if you think you are up to it. Perso , I think its worth adding a further 12 usd for a complete screen/frame.

can anybody send me the link of video for screen replacement without frame...? thanks in advance

I just replace a MI3 screen and digitiser and confirm that it is much better and earsier to replace complete screen including frame. It is quite tricky to separate the lcd/digitiser from the frame otherwise. I also found out that it is much more difficult to remove the usb dock part without breaking it . It is strongly glued to the plate. Same for the earpiece I would advise to get those parts as well when you order the screen . they are cheap and not worth the trouble of ungluing.
By the way the LCD I got from Aliexpress was not genuine and not great quality . Dragon-TT is definitely a preferred option .

Reactions: silas guo
HI!!
I need help!! have open the phone and find that this part looks.. brake??
Where can i get to fix my phone!?
224847hzw6uwfxdve6iyry.png.thumb.jpg