Mi4c Android 5.1.1 To 7.0

I tried to follow the instructions given in post 170 but after step 5 the phone wont boot. Stuck at the MI logo for over 30 minutes. The bootloader is also blocked now when checking in fastboot.

I updated my Mi-4c from MIUI 8 (6.12.22) to MIUI 9.1 (7.12.21) and my bootloader kept unlocked. NO problems at all.

You need to go back to official firmware using xiaomi miflash tool.
Update to 6.12.22.
Update to 7.2.9.
Apply for bootloader unlock(the official way).
Then try new roms.
Once you officially unlock the bootloader it should not be re-locked

LE: I also had some issues with updates, but the bootloader unlock was the key in the end. you can follow my replies in this thread.

Reactions: iamme729
You need to go back to official firmware using xiaomi miflash tool.
Update to 6.12.22.
Update to 7.2.9.
Apply for bootloader unlock(the official way).
Then try new roms.
Once you officially unlock the bootloader it should not be re-locked

LE: I also had some issues with updates, but the bootloader unlock was the key in the end. you can follow my replies in this thread.
Thanks, so the important step I was missing seems to be the official way of unlocking the bootloader. I also tried flashing from 7.2.9 to miui 9 (7.9.2) but that didn't work so it was probably the bootloader.

I managed to flash one or 2 firmwares on top of 7.2.9(check last 2-3 pages) but in the end you need to apply for bootloader unlock. I received permission within a day.

Good luck.

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

I managed to install the latest miui. The problem was that after going to 7.2.9 the bootloader gets locked. I unlocked the bootloader using the official tool after getting permission and then there were no problems in installing other roms. I also used the twrp 3.1.1.0 as it works on both android 5 and 7. Thanks for the help guys!

I managed to install the latest miui. The problem was that after going to 7.2.9 the bootloader gets locked. I unlocked the bootloader using the official tool after getting permission and then there were no problems in installing other roms. I also used the twrp 3.1.1.0 as it works on both android 5 and 7. Thanks for the help guys!

Same happened to me when I updated from Android 5 to Android 7 for the first time. Like you, I got my bootloader locked and had to unlock the official way. (Also had some trouble with the firmware as described here:

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi4c-android-5-1-1-to-7-0.40827/page-3#post-381538

Even though I finally managed to install that first version of MIUI 9, I went back to Android 5, cause I didn't quite like that first MIUI 9 I tried, (7.9.14).
When I updated to this version MIUI 9.1 (7.12.21) this time my bootloader didn't get locked. Also did it with TWRP 3.1.1-0 (the only one didn't give me any trouble). And back to OTA updates again! (Jesus! I don't remember the last time used to get OTA updates)

Hi all! I need help before i brick my device.
I want to flash MIUI 9.
i have xiaomi mi4c:
android 5.1.1 LMY47V
miui - smiui 8 by sebsch1991- based on 6.7.14
TWRP 3.1.1.0
unlocked bootloader
rooted device

Im not very intouch with flashing
I can't update TWRP to 3.1.1.1 / phone boot loop reboots to MI.COM logo .After sevral reboots it can boot Miui and TWRP disappears/
I can put back TWRP 3.1.1.0 by "official TWRP app"
What should i do to flash MiUi 9?
Thanks

p.s. I did understand 3.1.1.1 is for android 7

Last edited:
I have TWRP installed
My question is: can flash directly miui9 without risk of boot loop?
/my bootloader is unlocked now/

Again - this info is present in previous posts:
- you need to be on latest Lollipop and have bootloader officially ulocked.
There is no safe way to do it. Read the post I mentioned.
Even if you bootloop, you can always start again.

ok...
PS C:\adb> fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
OKAY [ 0.049s]
i have TWRP 3.1.1.0 installed

does that mean that my bootloader is locked and i cant flash 6.12.22
do i need to unlock first?
/ im pretty sure i have rooted phone. why "deice tampered" is faulse?

Thanks, so the important step I was missing seems to be the official way of unlocking the bootloader. I also tried flashing from 7.2.9 to miui 9 (7.9.2) but that didn't work so it was probably the bootloader.
ok
I tried to follow the instructions given in post 170 but after step 5 the phone wont boot. Stuck at the MI logo for over 30 minutes. The bootloader is also blocked now when checking in fastboot.

i have same problem.
after flashing 7.2.9 step 5 stuck to mi logo.. No boot to system.
bootloader is locked
trying to unlock with unlock tool and result is:
veryfying device-OK
unlocking - NO "Current account cant unlock this device"
2. i cant flash TWRP via fastboot- error "Partition flashing is not allowed""

/before 3 days i unlock bootloader officialy way before starting post 170 procedure of upgrading/
What to do?
pls help with exact steps

ok

i have same problem.
after flashing 7.2.9 step 5 stuck to mi logo.. No boot to system.
bootloader is locked
trying to unlock with unlock tool and result is:
veryfying device-OK
unlocking - NO "Current account cant unlock this device"
2. i cant flash TWRP via fastboot- error "Partition flashing is not allowed""

/before 3 days i unlock bootloader officialy way before starting post 170 procedure of upgrading/
What to do?
pls help with exact steps

Hello!

I have the same problem as you and I do not know how to solve it. I can only enter fastboot mode and I can not unlock the bootloader even if I have permissions.

Have you found the solution ?.

If you have any ideas, it would be very helpful.

Thank you

From latest beta xiaomi.eu 6.12.22 I update to first android 7 xiaomi.eu 7.2.9 the bootloader locked. Now no twrp. Mi unlock stuck on 99% current account cannot unlock this device. I'm pretty sure I'm with the right account... Everything is prepared in pc, in mi cloud etc. I read I can unlock even if xiaomi.eu is the rom, is this right or I must install china beta rom??? What if with latest china beta locks EDL and I can not return to 5.1??? if something goes wrong
b6386f9b6cec9480ee5d1151c11fed99.jpg

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello.
My Mi4C with MIUI 7.4 by xiaomi.eu; 6.5.5; weekly.
I have problems with battery. Off at 50%.
And I hope in new verciol will be better.
What I must to do for update? Can I install in phone at once Android 7?

You can unlock it again on Xiaomi EU ROM...you must use the correct account that's on the phone ...
Of course is the same account. USB debugging, enable OEM unlock... Everything is done. Except there is no Mi unlock status to pair device and account.

For those that cannot unlock bootloader offcial way (user cannot unlock this device error message):

same problem as @Kockata - This user cannot unlock this device for 2 weeks now. I was able to go to miui9 though but max I can go is 7.9.14 - 7.9.21 gives me bootloop.

Those are steps to get to 7.9.14 xiaomi.eu

xiaomi.eu

1. Flash 5.1 android with unlocked bootloader
5.12.17 -> miFlash - libra_images_5.12.17_20151126.0000.5_5.1_cn -- (https: // androidfilehost.com/?fid=24438995911972289)
- go to fastboot
- use MiFlash to install 5.12.17
if there is partition not allowed error just run in cmd as administrator
fastboot oem edl
when flashing finishes restart phone and wait for phone to start to system than restart to fastboot

check if bootloader is unlocked
fastboot oem device-info

2. If it is unlocked install this twrp - found it in this thread (thanks @slimozis) it allows you to flash android 5 and 7 + works even after you get your bootloader locked. (https : // androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329071444)
fastboot flash recovery twrp-20180106-1033.img
fastboot boot twrp-20180106-1033.img

3. When in TWRP Copy
xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.2.9_v8-7.0.zip
xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.9.14_v9-7.0.zip
to internal Storage

now install from TWRP 7.2.9 - than wipe davik/cache (not sure if needed but I do it every time)
reboot to system

when phone starts go to update app and reboot to recovery
now install 7.9.14 - wipe davik/cache
reboot to system

This is where I stopped. trying to install 7.9.21+ always ends up in bootloop. Anyone any ideas how to go further? Have locked bootloader and working TWRP 3.1.1

T.

PS. @mnikolce I installed all sort of fastboot dev roms and didn't get edl mode locked.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnikolce
For those that cannot unlock bootloader offcial way (user cannot unlock this device error message):

same problem as @Kockata - This user cannot unlock this device for 2 weeks now. I was able to go to miui9 though but max I can go is 7.9.14 - 7.9.21 gives me bootloop.

Those are steps to get to 7.9.14 xiaomi.eu

xiaomi.eu

1. Flash 5.1 android with unlocked bootloader
5.12.17 -> miFlash - libra_images_5.12.17_20151126.0000.5_5.1_cn -- (https: // androidfilehost.com/?fid=24438995911972289)
- go to fastboot
- use MiFlash to install 5.12.17
if there is partition not allowed error just run in cmd as administrator
fastboot oem edl
when flashing finishes restart phone and wait for phone to start to system than restart to fastboot

check if bootloader is unlocked
fastboot oem device-info

2. If it is unlocked install this twrp - found it in this thread it allows you to flash android 5 and 7 + works even after you get your bootloader locked. (https : // androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329071444)
fastboot flash recovery twrp-20180106-1033.img
fastboot boot twrp-20180106-1033.img

3. When in TWRP Copy
xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.2.9_v8-7.0.zip
xiaomi.eu_multi_MI4c_7.9.14_v9-7.0.zip
to internal Storage

now install from TWRP 7.2.9 - than wipe davik/cache (not sure if needed but I do it every time)
reboot to system

when phone starts go to update app and reboot to recovery
now install 7.9.14 - wipe davik/cache
reboot to system

This is where I stopped. trying to install 7.9.21 always ends up in bootloop. Anyone any ideas how to go further? Have locked bootloader and working TWRP 3.1.1

T.

PS. @mnikolce I installed all sort of fastboot dev roms and didn't get edl mode locked.
I will try to flash latest china dev fastboot rom (android 7) then will try to unlock bootloader and flash twrp 3.1.1.0 > Xiaomi.eu 8.2.1, I have the permission to unlock, so we'll see...

I will try to flash latest china dev fastboot rom (android 7) then will try to unlock bootloader and flash twrp 3.1.1.0 > Xiaomi.eu 8.2.1, I have the permission to unlock, so we'll see...

Tried that - same error in unlock tool at 99% account cannot unlock this device - but hope it works for you.

@mnikolce - were you able to unlock your bootloader?

Cannot stay on 7.9.14 - battery is draining like crazy
I haven't tried yet, it's not my phone...
Again tried to unlock (7.2.9 eu rom) no luck, stuck at 99% as earlier picture above.

Last edited: