Mi4c New User - Please Help?

simpsog21

Members
Jan 14, 2016
I have just bought a new Xiaomi Mi4c after reading some good reviews online. However I'm relatively new to Android so have some pretty basic questions:

I bought my phone from Geekbuying and they said they would install an international/Global ROM with the Google Play store which they appear to have done since I have Google Play, everything seems to be in English and there don't look like there are really any Chinese apps left on the phone apart from the Xiaomi ones.

However, how do I know what ROM I have (Googling I see there is the xiaomi.eu one you provide, a global one from miui themselves and one called smiui)? And then depending on which one I have, how do I go about updating it if/when I need to?

In my About phone settings it says MIUI version MIUI 7 55.12.31 | Beta

Thanks for all yout help

Hi, in order to install our ROM you will first need TWRP installed.

****(This apply for the Mi4c, other devices may vary)****

**If you already have root you can jump to step 3
(To see if you have root go into security app> permissions. If there's "root access" option then you have root)

**If you already have TWRP installed you can jump to the last step
(To see if you have TWRP installed, power down your phone and power it up holding the power button + volume up. That should boot onto recovery where you'll find out if you have stock recovery or TWRP)

STEPS
1. Download this dev version from the chinese download site. http://bigota.d.miui.com/5.12.31/miui_MI4c_5.12.31_5d6537a0b8_5.1.zip
**Do not download the latest one as it has the bootloader locked**

2. Install it via updater app. Now you should have root access.

3. Install Flashify app.
(Link to flashify apk)http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/christian-gollner/flashify/flashify-1-9-1-android-apk-download/

**Note. After opening the app you will get a prompt telling you need root access. To enable root access for apps you need to go to the security app>permissions>root access.

3. Install TWRP recovery.
(TWRP image) https://mega.nz/#!kM02hYKa!YOgKkCtRu-7wQT8JK4naRMPRExwpwKF0_vAVa4nwIqo
3.a extract .img file from zip
3.b open it in flashify. You will receive a "flash recovery?" Prompt. Hit "yup" to begin flashing the recovery.
3.c reboot to recovery to see if you have TWRP now.

4. Install our multilanguage rom via Updater or TWRP.
Latest weekly can be found here alongside with stable http://miuiandroid.com/community/link-forums/roms.73/

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Bryan.

I think I've confirmed that I have root access, there was an option to choose it under security app > permissions as you said (although there were no apps in there that had been granted root access at this stage by the look).

However when I powered up into recovery I got something called Mi-Recovery, nothing called TWRP so I assume I don't have that. I'm going to give to your ROM as you suggested although I'm a bit nervous as it would be my first time flashing a new ROM like this.

I think I can install Flashify app ok (although can I just download from the Google Play store instead?) but are there any more detailed step by step instructions that I could potentially follow for installing TWRP recovery and then your ROM with either the Updater or TWRP options (is Updater easier?)

Thanks again for your help already and sorry if my questions seem very simple

Gordon

Play store one is the same. Choose as you wish.

Once you installed flashify give root to it in security app.

Give me a minute while I write some more detailed steps on flashing TWRP

Download TWRP from the link I gave you above. It will come inside a .7z file to extract it you can use RAR by RARLAB which you can find in play store.

Extract it anywhere you like.

Find it in Explorer app and open as "docs" then choose flashify.

It will redirect to flashify app where you will be asked if you want to flash that recovery.

Hit "yup" and the flashing process will run automatically. Reboot and done. You now have TWRP.

wanted to say tnx, Bryan Maldonado, for the info above. my phone auto updated and now has the bootloader locked! bad move i think on Xiaomi's part. the type of 'experience' we have with our phones should be down to us, not them. anyway, i have to try to go to an earlier version rom to get the unlocked bootloader and root as well as getting TWRP on it.

a question for you is how to stop the phone auto updating? dont want to go through the torment of reverting to an earlier rom etc, only to find the phone overrides and i get locked out again. would appreciate the info, if possible

Going back to a previous version will not unlock the bootloader. In fact you cannot go back or install other rom other than official one without unlocking the bootloader.

To unlock your bootloader you can follow this guide provided in the official miui site. http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html

Please read everything there carefully and follow the provided steps there. I cannot explain better than there.

Hope you resolve your bootloader problem. Good luck.

Reactions: MBoogie
Thank you very much for this walkthrough almost everything worked as planned.

I only had to reinstall Flashify with the latest release because the app got stuck at a white screen while reading the image-file.

I am running the latest xiaomi.eu release for the Mi 4c now but I get constant popups that several android processes get terminated, namely: com.android.phone, android.process.acore, android.process.media. Any idea? Reinstall?

Thank you very much for this walkthrough almost everything worked as planned.

I only had to reinstall Flashify with the latest release because the app got stuck at a white screen while reading the image-file.

I am running the latest xiaomi.eu release for the Mi 4c now but I get constant popups that several android processes get terminated, namely: com.android.phone, android.process.acore, android.process.media. Any idea? Reinstall?
Hello if you come from a different ROM or downgraded you will most likely experience those problems. In order to fix it you will have to boot to recovery and wipe data and cache. So make a backup of your data or important things before as you will wipe data.

Reactions: MBoogie
Going back to a previous version will not unlock the bootloader. In fact you cannot go back or install other rom other than official one without unlocking the bootloader.

To unlock your bootloader you can follow this guide provided in the official miui site. http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html

Please read everything there carefully and follow the provided steps there. I cannot explain better than there.

Hope you resolve your bootloader problem. Good luck.

many tnx for the further info. will have a read

Hello if you come from a different ROM or downgraded you will most likely experience those problems. In order to fix it you will have to boot to recovery and wipe data and cache. So make a backup of your data or important things before as you will wipe data.

Thanks a million! Everything seems to be fine now.

I bought an Mi4c, I'm expecting receive this week.

Thank you Bryan Maldonado for the tutorial, I red many tutorials, but this one has all files I need without locking bootloader.

I have two doubts:
- I want the maximum clean install possible, when in the your 4 steps I swipe all data/everything and how?
- How can I prevent autoupdate bootloader lock before I do the the flash thing?
- After flashing sucessfully, I have to worry about bootloader locking with auto updates?

I bought an Mi4c, I'm expecting receive this week.

Thank you Bryan Maldonado for the tutorial, I red many tutorials, but this one has all files I need without locking bootloader.

I have two doubts:
- I want the maximum clean install possible, when in the your 4 steps I swipe all data/everything and how?
- How can I prevent autoupdate bootloader lock before I do the the flash thing?
- After flashing sucessfully, I have to worry about bootloader locking with auto updates?
Hi, to do a clean install after you flash the ROM reboot to recovery and select the wipe option.

To prevent automatic updates you can go to the updater, cancel pending updates(if any), then in settings uncheck automatic updates. *Edit* If an update is already downloaded, in the file explorer delete contents of the folder "downloaded_rom".

And no, the Xiaomi.EU ROMs will never lock your bootloader so is safe to autoupdate if you're on our ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: fousa
Bryan Maldonado thank you again!

My device arrived today and I already flashed xiaomi.eu rom with your steps! Easy! Thank you!

Hi Bryan

As the one who started this thread I should add my thanks to all those above as well, you've been exceedingly kind and patient with us all.

I was actually wrong when I said earlier that my phone had root access, it didn't so I flashed the Chinese ROM you provided and have got that enabled now and given access to Flashify.

I have run into a small problem now though trying to download TWRP. When I click on the link you provided above, it seems to want to redirect me to the MEGA app in the Play Store, however since installing the old Chinese ROM to give me root access I no longer have the Play Store - bit of a Catch 22. Is there another link you might have to let me download the version of TWRP I need without needing something from the app store?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi Bryan

As the one who started this thread I should add my thanks to all those above as well, you've been exceedingly kind and patient with us all.

I was actually wrong when I said earlier that my phone had root access, it didn't so I flashed the Chinese ROM you provided and have got that enabled now and given access to Flashify.

I have run into a small problem now though trying to download TWRP. When I click on the link you provided above, it seems to want to redirect me to the MEGA app in the Play Store, however since installing the old Chinese ROM to give me root access I no longer have the Play Store - bit of a Catch 22. Is there another link you might have to let me download the version of TWRP I need without needing something from the app store?

Thanks again for all your help
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8bhnet4r791q6ax/New-cofface_twrp_recovery.img
Here is the link of TWRP already unzipped for you. Just download and flash using flashify.

Last edited:
Bryan, just wanted to let you know that following all your instructions I've been able to flash the xiaomi.eu rom and everything seems to be working perfectly so thank you so much again for all your help, you've been fantastic.

Just one last (hopefully!!) question - I've had an OTA update notification saying the latest weekly rom (6.1.21) is available. To update to this is it as simple as just pressing the "Update" button in the Updater app, or should I go back and flash the new rom via TWRP recovery like I did with your instructions to do the inital installation of xiaomi.eu? Or some other method?

Cheers,
Gordon

Reactions: Bryan Maldonado
i don't think it's true, as i just unlocked my bootloader by going back from china-latest-dev-6.1.21 to china-stable-7.1.6.0, then to china-dev-6.1.7, and finally flashed eu-6.1.21

for more details see: http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...t-unlocking-bootloader-how-to-clean-up.29615/

don't you mind helping me with some answers in my thread mentioned above? thanks mate!

i don't think it's true, as i just unlocked my bootloader by going back from china-latest-dev-6.1.21 to china-stable-7.1.6.0, then to china-dev-6.1.7, and finally flashed eu-6.1.21

for more details see: http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/...t-unlocking-bootloader-how-to-clean-up.29615/

don't you mind helping me with some answers in my thread mentioned above? thanks mate!
Well I don't know how that was even possible. I mean. As far as I know a really locked bootloader wouldn't let you install any custom ROM or even downgrade the official. Trust me I have been on a lot of cellphones with locked bootloader (Samsung, Motorola's, etc..).

Well I don't know how that was even possible. I mean. As far as I know a really locked bootloader wouldn't let you install any custom ROM or even downgrade the official. Trust me I have been on a lot of cellphones with locked bootloader (Samsung, Motorola's, etc..).
yep, weird. as i couldn't flash eu-rom neither via updater nor via fastboot, i assume bootloader was locked.