Mi5s Raw Photography: Colors -> Blurry/strange

My Color-layers of RAW-images (dng-files) look blurry, too.

• Total voters

Binnox

Members
Jan 8, 2017
Hi,
I experienced strange results of the RAW-photography mode.
The overall impression seems legit but looking at the detailed colors/structures you find strange colors. It seems the colors are allocated to the wrong position of the black/white RAW image internally. As if the black/white-image is layered by a very blurry color-image.

In my example image (left jpg, right RAW) looking at the grass tips or the sweets' wrapping you should see what I mean.

Mi5s-RAW-behaviour_jpg.jpg Mi5s-RAW-behaviour_raw.jpg

If I do the same in any other mode than RAW everything works fine.

Can someone experience the same behaviour? (Especially if you compare the RAW-image to the simultaneously saved jpg - in Lightroom/Photoshop/etc.)

It happens on the Original China-ROM, the latest stable and on the latest weekly.

Thanks!

@Stoik:
Great, that's it! Nice to learn something new.
Unfortunately it looks like the color noise is a little strong on the Mi5s =/
Did you find a way to process the dng similarly to the result of the internally processed jpg?

no problem. :)
for noise reduce, i have currently no way only google for "reduce noice photoshop raw".

@Stoik:
Great, that's it! Nice to learn something new.
Unfortunately it looks like the color noise is a little strong on the Mi5s =/
Did you find a way to process the dng similarly to the result of the internally processed jpg?
Too bad, that you can't use RAW with the manual mode. That'd be great. Shall we ask for this feature here? Anyone, who's good in photography?

Manual Camera App can RAW and Manual Mode. yes you can ask for feature request.

Manual controls & RAW:
If you'd like to request that feature you can confirm my thread on the original Miui-Forum:
en.miui.com/thread-468557-1-1.html

It should be easier to implement if it's already in the original ROM ;-)

Stoik meant the App called "Manual Camera" on the playstore ;-)

Manual controls & RAW:
If you'd like to request that feature you can confirm my thread on the original Miui-Forum:

Confirmed it there, thank you :D

I noted that not default camera apps have a limit, shutter speed not lower than 0.3 sec.
This is a bad limit for manual photos when light missing.
In default app camera possible in manual mode set up to 32 sec.

PS: Editing build.prop and add "persist.camera.hal3.enabled=1" not change this limit.

I noted that not default camera apps have a limit, shutter speed not lower than 0.3 sec.
This is a bad limit for manual photos when light missing.
In default app camera possible in manual mode set up to 32 sec.

PS: Editing build.prop and add "persist.camera.hal3.enabled=1" not change this limit.
I guess you meant "shutter speed not higher than 0.3 sec" not "lower than", right?

I guess you meant "shutter speed not higher than 0.3 sec" not "lower than", right?
I mean lower speed, because for make good good photos with bad light, should stay with low iso and for compensate have to set lower speed shutter, so the sensor take more light ;)

I mean lower speed, because for make good good photos with bad light, should stay with low iso and for compensate have to set lower speed shutter, so the sensor take more light ;)
Is shutter speed = exposure time not true?
I quote from here https://photographylife.com/what-is-shutter-speed-in-photography "Shutter speed, also known as “exposure time”, stands for the length of time a camera shutter is open to expose light into the camera sensor. If the shutter speed is fast, it can help to freeze action completely"

I quote from here https://photographylife.com/what-is-shutter-speed-in-photography "Shutter speed, also known as “exposure time”, stands for the length of time a camera shutter is open to expose light into the camera sensor. If the shutter speed is fast, it can help to freeze action completely"
Exposure time depend of how much long sensor take light with shutter open.
So, long time expositions need lower speed of shutter.
In my example for make good photo at night need low iso and long time exposition for compensate the lower sensibility isos.
I hope to explain good, sorry for my bad english.

[...]
Yep you're right - but both terms are "mirror-inverted" ;)
I'll try to explain that in German (as I think you're German because of your profile picture):
Shutter Speed = Geschwindigkeit. Eine "hohe Geschwindigkeit" zieht kurze Zeiten nach sich.
Exposure Time = Dauer. Eine "hohe/lange Zeit" zieht eine langsame Geschwindigkeit nach sich.

So both terms explain the same thing but need the opposite adjective: "short/low exposure time" is "high shutter speed" :)

Yep you're right - but both terms are "mirror-inverted" ;)
I'll try to explain that in German (as I think you're German because of your profile picture):
Shutter Speed = Geschwindigkeit. Eine "hohe Geschwindigkeit" zieht kurze Zeiten nach sich.
Exposure Time = Dauer. Eine "hohe/lange Zeit" zieht eine langsame Geschwindigkeit nach sich.

So both terms explain the same thing but need the opposite adjective: "short/low exposure time" is "high shutter speed" :)
well, he said shutter speed and speed is path divided by time. so a shutter speed cannot be only 0,3s overall. a bit picky but i think you know what I mean xD
You're right with it, but I guess exposure time is the better expression for that or he could just say "lower shutter speed with exposure time higher than 0.3" ^^
exposure time = 1 / shutter "speed"
Cuz first I thought he'd like to have much more ISO in the night cuz hands are too shaky for higher exposure times. But now i understand it.

Off-Topic:
Mein Profil-Bild wird durch Gravatar eingebunden, ich verwende die gleiche e-Mail für Battlefield, wo man nur mit Gravatar das Bild ändert. Ich hatte es auch in seriöseren Foren aus Versehen ma drin xD

Manual controls & RAW:

Kannste bei deiner Feature-Anfrage vlt. noch adden, dass ein Selbstauslöser dann auch nutzbar ist bei Manual/RAW? //
Could you add to your feature-request, that in Manual/RAW a usable selftimer would be great?

Reactions: Binnox
Hi,
I experienced strange results of the RAW-photography mode.
The overall impression seems legit but looking at the detailed colors/structures you find strange colors. It seems the colors are allocated to the wrong position of the black/white RAW image internally. As if the black/white-image is layered by a very blurry color-image.

In my example image (left jpg, right RAW) looking at the grass tips or the sweets' wrapping you should see what I mean.

View attachment 14874 View attachment 14875

If I do the same in any other mode than RAW everything works fine.

Can someone experience the same behaviour? (Especially if you compare the RAW-image to the simultaneously saved jpg - in Lightroom/Photoshop/etc.)

It happens on the Original China-ROM, the latest stable and on the latest weekly.

Thanks!

I noticed this and thought it might be something in the way the DNG files are created. Default settings in Photoshop / Lightroom during import are inappropriate for Xiaomi's RAW files. However the same file is processed without distortion in other DNG processors like Raw Therapee and Snapseed.

As noted by Stoik, I didn't realise changing the Color Noise setting to 0 would correct the distortion in Photoshop and Lightroom. (though it can't be modified in Lightroom Mobile)

Instead, I've been changing the camera process from 2013 to 2003 which achieves the same thing. As you have noticed there is quite a lot of color noise - probably not unusual from any smartphone sensor. I think I'm seeing slightly less noise using the 2003 process.

Reactions: Binnox