New [MI9] [9.9.27] Compass behaving abnormally.

Sanzium

Members
Sep 28, 2019
Compass behaving weirdly on MI9 (cepheus), it keeps increasing the value with the phone stead (~1º per second), like the North is moving. On Aida64 I can see that actually the azimuth value keeps going up, cycling; magnetometer info seems to be ok.
Just tested in the latest global stable it works fine, and in xiaomi.eu 9.9.6, 9.9.26 and 9.9.27 the problem occurs.
The logcat (first opening the Compass app, then opening Aida64 and going to sensors):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bEZuCGHduP7cQNx2YZ0Fy8v1WuNlP2Ju/view?usp=sharing
Here is a video showing what actually happens. After the callibration, the phone is stead over a table:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Compass behaving weirdly, it keeps increasing the value with the phone stead (~1º per second), like the North is moving. On Aida64 I can see that actually the azimuth value keeps going up, cycling; magnetometer info seems to be ok.
Just tested in the latest global stable it works fine, and in xiaomi.eu 9.9.6, 9.9.26 and 9.9.27 the problem occurs.
The logcat (first opening the Compass app, then opening Aida64 and going to sensors):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bEZuCGHduP7cQNx2YZ0Fy8v1WuNlP2Ju/view?usp=sharing
Here is a video showing what actually happens. After the callibration, the phone is stead over a table:

No such issue on mi5 with same rom

Compass behaving weirdly on MI9 (cepheus), it keeps increasing the value with the phone stead (~1º per second), like the North is moving. On Aida64 I can see that actually the azimuth value keeps going up, cycling; magnetometer info seems to be ok.
I can confirm. Same issue on my mi 9

Wysłane z mojego MI 9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Well with my MI9 the compass doesn't work anyhow. And do you know what? The reason is the magnetic lock of my case!

I was checking gyroscope and when I put the phone on a steady place the values don't stop moving. Probably this is the same issue.

Yeah, probably it is. When I enable gyroscope in CoD Mobile it keeps turning left. :'D I will try to clean flash all including global stable. Will see if it is only rom related issue.

Ok, I've checked it. On global stable everything is fine, compass stays still. After a clean flash of the newest xiaomi.eu compass breaks and keeps rotating by itself like shown on the first post so it's for sure ROM related issue. Please fix :D

I've also noticed that it only increases when the phone lies flat on the table. When I hold it more vertically it shows directions well. In diagnostic settings it's confirmed because only data of Z axis keeps increasing.

Last edited: