MIUI Apps - What do you want to see?

fusingblackrose

Members
Nov 28, 2010
Just thought I'd make this thread to ask the MIUI community what MIUI apps you want to see.

I'll start it off with something that'd I think would be nice:

MIUI (Official MIUI app) Features:

English ROM Updates (Rom Manager/MIUI Rom Downloaded are outdated)
Interchangable toggles section
Widgets section
Themes + Wallpapers

You don't have to go into details, this just might get noticed by the devs, and you never know what might happen.

OK, I'll play.

I'd love to see the MIUI Music app updated to include integrated streaming from home PC (like the Audiogalaxy app), integrated SHOUTcast playback and perhaps SoundHound capabilities.

MIUI Calendar - I'm fine with stock calendar, but would love to see a MIUI'd up Calendar with full month widget.
MIUI Calculator - Again, fine with stock, but a MIUI'd up version would be awesome.
MIUI Start-up Manager (root) - I would love an app to disable/enable start-up apps. I currently use a self made script that I run after every wipe+update to disable pesky apps like Foursquare that I deem unnecessary at boot.
MIUI Stopwatch/Timer - A MIUI'd up Stopwatch+Timer similar to Hybrid Stopwatch would be awesome.
MIUI Remote Desktop - The ability to connect via Remote Desktop to my home PC would totally be cool. I currently use an app for this but a MIUI specific app would be killer.
MIUI Compass - A MIUI'd up version of a compass.
MIUI Bubble Level - I think it would be cool (definitely last on my list since I think it would be cool, but I wouldn't swoon over it, lol).

Edit: No offense, but you're suggestions don't make much sense to me.

Themes and Wallpapers are already available through Theme Manager.
Widgets are already likely to be in their AppShare app, we just can't/shouldn't use it as it contains warez.
The ability to download the ROM/English packs is already there; just because they are outdated does not mean they should be replaced entirely. The current Dev's (ROM and/or MIUI Downloader) just need to pick up their slack.

I just mean compiling all that into one app would be better for convenience, although that may be because I'm just lazy. The timer was new, that'd be a good idea. A MIUI'd Clock app would be nice too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

definitely calculator and stop watch are needed. and they need to fix up the alarm clock now -- the dials used to switch the time are horrible and jump around a lot

me the only thing missing is a drawer , one of the big point of Android is his drills

me the only thing missing is a drawer , one of the big point of Android is his drills

Every single folder is it's own mini-app drawer; why do you people keep on complaining about this? It's beyond ridiculous...

Just drop a folder on to the dock and put all your apps in it.

Personally, having multiple folders really helps me with organization more than one giant app drawer.

Just drop a folder on to the dock and put all your apps in it.

Personally, having multiple folders really helps me with organization more than one giant app drawer.

you can have both easily...so why make it only one?

a sea of icons is a weak launcher set up...app drawer trumps wall of icons every day.

I give up; you people should just flash back to stock ROMs and leave MIUI alone...

to be a bit childish, how about you stfu and let people have opinions in a damn opinion thread...MIUI like ALL ROMS on ALL PHONES is NOT PERFECT...the app drawer is a good way of ridding your phone of clutter as well as folders for organization...why both can't be implemented is beyond me, and why suggesting that MIUI should have an app drawer somehow equals "I WANT STOCK BACK" is beyond me...

again, in case you missed it...stfu.

...umm...this took a negative turn...

MIUI Video Chat. Tango/Qik/Whatever other one you use is fine, but native might be pleasing.

...umm...this took a negative turn...

MIUI Video Chat. Tango/Qik/Whatever other one you use is fine, but native might be pleasing.

Isn't that what the new Google Talk will do for our phones? Would be pointless to make an app if you already have such a good app that integrates well with the system, no?

Note: I'm ignoring Absolute from now on; I grow tired of little whiny "kids" like him/her. Their sense of entitlement if beyond ridiculous. So as far as I care, he can go suck a bag of... Well, you know.

Isn't that what the new Google Talk will do for our phones? Would be pointless to make an app if you already have such a good app that integrates well with the system, no?

Note: I'm ignoring Absolute from now on; I grow tired of little whiny "kids" like him/her. Their sense of entitlement if beyond ridiculous. So as far as I care, he can go suck a bag of... Well, you know.

Whoa! I did not know that. And you've got the right to do whatever you want. And I think for right now, I'd rather them work on the apps that are already in the rom than add new ones. I don't think MIUI has ever had a complete theme, because they always just scrap it.

so in a thread titled "What do YOU (the operative word as that indicates extreme subjectivity) want to see..." someone offering their opinion and then you whining about said opinion and then someone (me) getting annoyed at how retarded your anti-opinion of the opinion was....makes ME whiny? you have a really odd logic center working in that brain of yours.

---------------------------

Back on topic...anyways I'd LOVE to see an MIUI app drawer because everything MIUI touches is gold. And I can only imagine what they'd do with a fully functional launcher.

What else...a few more clock widgets would be nice...and yea...a few things here and there...MIUI needs to branch out like CyanogenMOD (omitting cheapOLDevices.) so more and more people can eventually jump onto the wonders that is MIUI.

And I hope they keep the iOS deviation up...it hardly resembles it now especially compared to when I first jumped on.

MIUI would probably revolutionize the app drawer, too. You know, categories and stuff, better organization. I think, if they did that, I would assume they would make it optional.

Widgets was a big thing for me as well, Id love to see some social Widgets and whatnot.

Things I'd love to see in MIUI in general:

- Ability to suppress apps from the launcher (this is REALLY annoying, there are "apps" I simply want to go away without having to shove them into a folder... some of the built-in items are a prime example... do I really need a "backup" app link that takes me to the same place I can get to through the settings menu? IMO redundancy is NOT elegant.)
- Allow folders to have an icon. (this is simply a nicety thing, not an annoyance.)
- Ability to hide the "USB debugging" notification (I miss this from CM7, this notice is just clutter.)
- Make 4-way reboot part of the mainline MIUI rom.
- Make reboot toggle invoke 4-way reboot
- Ability to hide status bar clock (waste of space.)
- Custom Clock/Timer app (This one is my #1 complaint with Android bar-none,)
- Ability to sort contacts by last name (Why the hell can't we do this?)
- Add ability to strobe to the Torch app
- Music player needs to recognize and read .m3u playlists
- USB storage toggle when USB connected... suppress notice. (Do we really need to know USB is connected? I think the cord sticking out of our phone lets us know that just fine thanks.)

MIUI would probably revolutionize the app drawer, too. You know, categories and stuff, better organization. I think, if they did that, I would assume they would make it optional.

Widgets was a big thing for me as well, Id love to see some social Widgets and whatnot.

The folders are already a revolutionized app drawer. Categories you set yourself, better organization through multiple folders each with it's own category.

Why am I the only one that can see how fully functional and absolutely powerful the MIUI launcher already is?

@Koruptid - I totally agree with your statement on redundancy. Which is why I hope MIUI never introduces an app drawer. It always got on my nerves how the multitude of Android launchers out there would have duplicates of any app you wanted to move to the home screens. The best I ever got was using LauncherPro to hide each and every app I had made a shortcut to in the app drawer, and I still considered it a waste of my time to go through a list of 150+ apps to pick and choose which ones to hide only to do it all over again anytime I wanted to rearrange my home screens.

The folders are already a revolutionized app drawer. Categories you set yourself, better organization through multiple folders each with it's own category.

Why am I the only one that can see how fully functional and absolutely powerful the MIUI launcher already is?

@Koruptid - I totally agree with your statement on redundancy. Which is why I hope MIUI never introduces an app drawer. It always got on my nerves how the multitude of Android launchers out there would have duplicates of any app you wanted to move to the home screens. The best I ever got was using LauncherPro to hide each and every app I had made a shortcut to in the app drawer, and I still considered it a waste of my time to go through a list of 150+ apps to pick and choose which ones to hide only to do it all over again anytime I wanted to rearrange my home screens.

And you can't think of a better way to do this than completely eliminating the app drawer?

How about an app drawer that doesn't keep the apps in the drawer if you move them to your homescreen?

well then...perfect.

@ZeroBarrier ... I think the important distinction for me currently with the folders concept is two fold.

#1 They've given no way to hide apps... this annoys the piss out of me as there are some apps I just don't want visible (because they are redundant, keys, add-ons, widgets, etc.) In the past I have used "Folder Organizer" to accomplish this and just hidden the crap I didn't want with a hidden tag... with the MIUI launcher even that isn't an option as the launcher requires a copy of every app. (I'd be happy as a clam if I could hide ALL of the icons and handle them via Folder Organizer.

#2 Folders are an archaic concept. Flexibility might better be served with a tagging concept similar to FO. Some people enjoy being able to find apps according to multiple organizational topics and this seems like it would be a friendly compromise.

Both concepts have usability flaws aplenty. But, for me one of the reasons I chose an Android in the first place was its ability to be flexible.

@ZeroBarrier ... I think the important distinction for me currently with the folders concept is two fold.

#1 They've given no way to hide apps... this annoys the piss out of me as there are some apps I just don't want visible (because they are redundant, keys, add-ons, widgets, etc.) In the past I have used "Folder Organizer" to accomplish this and just hidden the crap I didn't want with a hidden tag... with the MIUI launcher even that isn't an option as the launcher requires a copy of every app. (I'd be happy as a clam if I could hide ALL of the icons and handle them via Folder Organizer.

#2 Folders are an archaic concept. Flexibility might better be served with a tagging concept similar to FO. Some people enjoy being able to find apps according to multiple organizational topics and this seems like it would be a friendly compromise.

Both concepts have usability flaws aplenty. But, for me one of the reasons I chose an Android in the first place was its ability to be flexible.

Tags are a good idea, but I'm guessing the original developers haven't really thought about it or perhaps don't see it as a priority (maybe because the global search in sidekick.apk is such a quick and easy way to find any 1 specific app).

As for hiding apps, I completely agree again. It boggles my mind that you can only have hidden apps in a folder, or visible apps in a folder; but you can not have both. When they first introduced the app hiding feature, I thought you could toggle "hide apps" -> drag & drop apps you want hidden into the folder -> un-toggle "hide apps" ->drag & drop apps you wanted visible into the same folder. That to me seemed like the most intuitive way to have both hidden and visible apps in one folder. Toggling "show hidden apps" could show all the hidden apps in a folder with a different title color (red for example), and if you wanted to un-hide an app you could just drag & drop it back onto your home screen to reset it's hidden status.

It just makes no sense to me why anyone would want a completely empty looking folder icon on their home screens to hide a few apps that are either redundant or just serve no purpose (certain widgets do this, and it annoys the piss out of me too).

Tags are a good idea, but I'm guessing the original developers haven't really thought about it or perhaps don't see it as a priority (maybe because the global search in sidekick.apk is such a quick and easy way to find any 1 specific app).

As for hiding apps, I completely agree again. It boggles my mind that you can only have hidden apps in a folder, or visible apps in a folder; but you can not have both. When they first introduced the app hiding feature, I thought you could toggle "hide apps" -> drag & drop apps you want hidden into the folder -> un-toggle "hide apps" ->drag & drop apps you wanted visible into the same folder. That to me seemed like the most intuitive way to have both hidden and visible apps in one folder. Toggling "show hidden apps" could show all the hidden apps in a folder with a different title color (red for example), and if you wanted to un-hide an app you could just drag & drop it back onto your home screen to reset it's hidden status.

It just makes no sense to me why anyone would want a completely empty looking folder icon on their home screens to hide a few apps that are either redundant or just serve no purpose (certain widgets do this, and it annoys the piss out of me too).

That feature is so stupid without the ability to add more non-hidden apps in there, I completely agree.

Another feature I'd like to see - in the contacts app, the "Dialer" bar should be slidable, like the "Now Playing" bar in MIUI Music.

Hey all!
I really want to see option to put files into ftp server(of MIUI) via my 3g connection,not wi-fi only!
Maybe is will be possible in next ROMs?
Tnx!

I'd love to be able to swipe the bottom bar left or right allowing extra icon spaces a la LauncherPro or GoLauncherEX

I'm currently running barebones MIUI and trying to stay with the stock launcher for a while to see how I like it...it IS beautiful...but I've always criticized functionality...so here goes

(PS, using the folder as app launcher thing but still would like to see an official MIUI app drawer)

MIUI is pretty great launcher wise, and overall as well. One thing that bugs the hell out of me is that albums are sorted alphabetically.