MIUI historical background..?

tobice

Members
Jul 17, 2011
I flashed MIUI few days ago and I'm pretty excited about it. I tried to find some information about how it started but I failed. There's no about page, nothing on Wikipedia.. at least not in English. It's really weird, because when you look at it and compare to other roms, this doesn't look like something done by enthusiastic community in their free time.

I found this http://technode.com/2011/01/13/why-xiaomi-raised-35millions-to-design-a-real-phone/ which would explain the financing and the purpose of MIUI (we're just beta-testers for some new commercial phone) however the article was published in January 2011 and AFAIK the development started several months sooner. So how MIUI originated? Was is from the beginning an "evil" plan against Apple? Or was it started as some kind of student project which turned out to be very perspective and attracted investors?

Do you ask the same question about HTCSense? Everything begins development before you hear about it. Same with android and ios, plus any phone company's custom skinning and features implementation for android

Well, I don't ask the same questions about HTC because I don't find it that interesting. It's "just" a big phone manufacturer which produces phones and earns money. Besides, it's history is quite well document on the Wikipedia. On the other hand, I am very interested in history and original purpose of MIUI especially when the beginnings are hidden in the shadows of the past. I also like the idea (and find it kind of funny) that the Chinese are making a "Chinese Apple", significantly inspired by the iOS interface. I really would like to know these things, but just from curiosity. MIUI Rom is great and I'm going to use anyway.

I could only create a more or less blank page so I'm not the right guy to do this :) I was hoping that I would get some information, not share :)

Wasn't the original creator or MIUI friends with the guy who made Meizu? from what i read a while back both of them a fallout or something and thus each designed their own android interface? Something along them lines anyways?

Maybe it's just myth? Who knows.

Andy

Yeah, I've read the article about MIUI phone too. The question is whether they started with an idea for a phone or with an idea for an iPhone-like ROM, which finally resulted into this phone. What was behind back then :)

MIUI doesn't even have a Wikipedia page? I know next to nothing about MIUI besides it being pretty nifty, otherwise I'd start it.