New Miui Logo Loop After Failed Update

Kriscka

Members
Mar 23, 2016
[RESOLVED] (don't know how to notify it so...)

Hi, not so sure it's the right place for my post so sorry in advance.

I own a mi5s Plus that I tried to update yesterday with the latest MIUI stable version (V8.5.2.0.MBGCNED v8-6.0). So I'm gonna try to explain my problem as accurately as possible...

So : I rebooted my smartphone in recovery mode (TWRP), selected the file renamed "update" and tapped "install" and first thing weird, the bar of progression at the bottom was already full when it only started the installation (only the very end of the bar's frame was flashing), so after like a minute or so it tells me everything went well so I reboot my smartphone and this is when things get tricky :

- MIUI logo appears just as usual, alone, for a minute,
- then the xiaomi.eu logo appears below the MIUI logo with 3 dots flashing one after another, for like 3mins,
- a progression bar appears, gets full after a minute then vanishes,
- back to the MIUI logo + xiaomi.eu logo with the 3 dots for like 3mins
- finaly I get notifications windows popping up telling me (sorry french version so I don't know the exact term in english) "gallery has stopped", "gboard has stopped", "google services has stopped". if I tap "close" at the bottom of the window, it closes and directly reappears.

And here I am stuck with that, if I reboot the phone (which I did several times) I get the same thing over and over again. You guys have an idea ? TWRP problem or MIUI version problem ? Thanx in advance !

Chris

edit : it's a "powered by Android" logo, not a "xiaomi.eu" logo... don't know it changes anything...

Last edited:
yes you have to erase everything if mi coud is on you have to format via trwp if off you can wipe from setting your data will not loss only app

But don't you thinkg the fact the progression bar during the installation in TWRP behaved weirdly means that TWRP is somehow corrupted, leading to my problem ?

version trwp? better use zcx trwp because switching marshmallow to nougat maybe your problem
use zcx reflash your rom dont forget to format everything

Last edited:
How to update MI5 to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done
- In case of any issues, make factory reset via system settings
- For ROOT on Android 7.0 install SuperSU 2.82 or Magisk

It's Twrp v3.0.2-x but I think (I'm notre sur though) I already had Nougat installed but last update I had is like two months old

use TWRP you find it in en.xiaomi.com (ZCX-TWR-3.0.2-X-MI5S-Capricorn-16.12.26)

better you make a full backup of all your data anyway

i used to update the following and all (Mi5s) phones run fine after
- backup all with internal backup MiUi (in Settings)
- backup all partition with TWRP
- backup/copy userdata MIUI & TWRP to win
(if u get a copy error MIUI & TWRP, run chmod -R 777 on this)
- backup/copy photos, music,.....etc. to win

- wipe boot, dalvik,system,data,cache with TWRP (/data/media should be untouched with ZCX)
- do not select "Internal Storage" and "Cust" on wipe
- run ur update with TWRP
- reboot and start until Ui is running (may skip account data)
- reboot to TWRP
- install supersu 2.82
- wipe dalvik&cache
- reboot to system
- restore from internal MiUi backup (should be there as /data/media is not touched by this version of TWRP)
- thats it, without any guarantee ;)

Ok I'm back, so first things first I can't get my hands on ZCX-TWR-3.0.2-X-MI5S-Capricorn-16.12.26...
Also I was wondering, the backing up is only for confort and is no essential step for the restoration is it ? Cause all my data is synchronized with Google and Xiaomi so I'm not afraid to erase everything. And I don't especially want my phone rooted, so what I should do is this right ? :

- wipe boot, dalvik, system, data, cache with TWRP (/data/media should be untouched with ZCX => I don't understand what it means...)
- run ur update with TWRP
- reboot and start until UI is running (may skip account data => I don't understand what it means...)
- reboot to TWRP
- wipe dalvik & cache
- reboot to system

MAJOR EDIT : While I was waiting for an answer I told myself "why not retry an older update" so I downloaded the version 7.7.13 and it kinda worked, I had a infernal popup telling me "process com.android.phone stopped" or something like that, so I decided to do a factory reset an now MIUI is backing my save up so everything's good !

Last edited:
@Kriscka
hi, sorry about, I am a kind of lazy, therfore using just the commonly used (and normaly understood, no offense) abbreviations
to clear some of your questions

- ZCX-TWR-3.0.2-X-MI5S-Capricorn-16.12.26 on en.xiaomi.com ---> may you need to register there too to download
on http://en.miui.com/thread-610346-1-1.html

- if you have your data on google - ok, but, a full backup/restore with TWRP is faster and more complete for all system data
the so called user data - your media etc. is easely saved by google, a cloud or win or mac with the usb connection
but the only backups which save your system data complete are twrp and similar.
From my point of view is a full backup always necessary to easily return to the condition before the attempt to install
a new version of system software. It will saves you a lot of time if a restore (return to the state before) must be done.

- the "modern" Android has two data section, system data and user data. So if you wipe data you should ensure just
to wipe the system data part - if you not touch the user data or "internal storage" all your pics, notes music etc.
will be still there after an update. (Point of view from the system it is refereced as /data/media/)

- start UI (this stand for User Interface) that thing and stuff which is on the screen after you pass the lock screen
enter a password, pattern or just wipe. I´ve made the experience with plenty of phones, its better to install
one in one and not define all zips to install together with twrp.

- to have a rooted device is nice but not necessary, skip install supersu the xiaomi.eu will work without root

Finnaly
if you have now the 7.7.13 - there should no problem at all install any other version you find here on xiaomi.eu

@pipps
Don't mind, just to clear things up, I know terms such as UI and all, I'm actually a graphic designer so not knowing this one would be a real shame... It's just I know the basics of how smartphones work but when it gets deep in the technical field I'm not that aware, especially when it changes from a version to another. I was just making sure in case there was something I didn't get (plus I'm not a native speaker so...) or if you were the kinda guy who always goes too far (you know like these guys on video games forums who claim things like "With an i7 3,5Ghz, 16Gb ram and a GTX 960 you could barely run The Sims 3 with medium graphics at best" know what I'm saying haha

It works perfectly well now but I gotta say I'm kinda scared to update my mi5s Plus now...