MIUI-Power Saving Mode. What does it do ?

bellus_charm

Members
Nov 2, 2013
Can anyone explain what exactly MIUI do when we choose 'Power Saving' mode in battery ?

Does it under-clock the CPU ?
Does it switch off data at intervals ? (Didn't see any of that, but there is chance I missed it.)
Does it alter screen brightness etc. ?

Or it there anything else that it does ?

Background : I got my new Xiaomi MI2S and the battery seems to be giving only 10 hours with moderate usage, auto-brightness off and brightness set at about 10%. I also have calibrated the battery properly.

Just looking for some answers to find exact cause for this issue.Thanks in advance :)

I asked this some months ago, it makes the cpu use only one core. I have it on all the time and easily get over a days use on the normal battery. (I also use ds battery saver)

So in this mode, does the CPU use more than one core when the need arises or the phone simply acts like a single core phone till you change it back again ?

@Acid : Thanks a lot :) I changed to Power Saving mode and the battery consumption has been slower than what it was. Was using 'Balance' mode earlier. Will update soon how much difference I saw with Power Saver mode.

Please find my screenshots attached. Been running it on 'Power Saver' mode for sometime today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-27-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-27-30.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 936
  • Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-27-40.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-27-40.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 861
  • Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-29-05.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-13-15-29-05.png
    320 KB · Views: 838
If you click on screen (at the 2nd screenshot) you can check the exact time the screen was on.

I score around 3 hours screen on time until battery goess down to 10-20%.

Be aware that, battery needs approximately 1 week to settle down.

@regent89 : Screen Time has been 1 hr 9 mins. And battery is around 60% right now. 2G data is on all the time. Thanks for screen time ~3hours tip. Will look out for that.

@Acid: Downloaded directly from Theme Manager. I am working on translating the lockscreen and other files to English. :) Would you like it if i upload it once translated ? Its my first time so might take time though :)

That is kind of a bad battery life... Then its not really easy to get through the day right?
I've bought the phone to just try it with cm10.2 but I needs to get me 36 hours with about 2-3hours of screen on time and 3G enabled all the time. With wifi on I'm hoping to get at least 48 hours.
My Xperia SP gets 3 days when I use it with wifi instead of 3G, and that is with moderate use and about 3-4 hours screen on time.

That is kind of a bad battery life... Then its not really easy to get through the day right?
I've bought the phone to just try it with cm10.2 but I needs to get me 36 hours with about 2-3hours of screen on time and 3G enabled all the time. With wifi on I'm hoping to get at least 48 hours.
My Xperia SP gets 3 days when I use it with wifi instead of 3G, and that is with moderate use and about 3-4 hours screen on time.

Check WIUI then.

Reactions: bellus_charm
Check WIUI then.
Forgot to quote, my post was a reply on bellus_charm.

I dont have the phone yet. I've been going through the topic of WIUI, but thats already a week ago.
Ill search for a thread about battery life and otherwise open one :)

I'm unsure but I think power saving may do something to the GPS. I've noticed that the GPS position seems to wander around in power saving mode. This was causing problems in some navigation software when Google location services were enabled.

Just did a few tests at my desk (indoors), using GPS and sensor Toolkit. It tracks the cumulative distance travelled after getting a GPS lock (the phone was stationary). Power saving mode gets over 10-30m travelled in a couple of minutes or sometimes gets an error indicating that tracking stopped working. Performance mode gets 0.0 - 0.3m distance travelled in the same sort of time scale (which is pretty good for a stationary GPS postion indoors).

There are 3 main settings in Saving mode:
  • CPU frequency blocked to max 918 Mhz
  • GPU frequency blocked to max 200Mhz
  • Max 2 cores online.

Not true!
All 4 cores are online (Core 3+4 less)

As addition I can measure differences in download speeds: with power safe I get max 12mbit/s, with normal/performance I get around 20mbit/s download speed (upload doesn't change).

Sent with my Xiaomi MI2 with Tapatalk Pro

So do you want to say MI2S gives better battery with CM10.2 then MIUI v5 ?

So do you want to say MI2S gives better battery with CM10.2 then MIUI v5 ?
I dont know where you read any of such a statement but I guess you made it up yourself haha. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. But I guess when CM10.2 is stable it should give better battery time then MIUI, because of M1cha using Nexus 4 sources which are far better then the coding done by MIUI according to M1cha.

I will just wait and see

I dont know where you read any of such a statement but I guess you made it up yourself haha. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. But I guess when CM10.2 is stable it should give better battery time then MIUI, because of M1cha using Nexus 4 sources which are far better then the coding done by MIUI according to M1cha.

I will just wait and see

CM10.2 should give better battery time when its fully released. Currently CM10.2 have too many wakelock issues. RILJ and Wifi eat 40% of the deepsleep. Thus making miui a better rom for now (miui drains due its crappy coding and rubbish inside, but no wakelocks makes it better in term of battery).

On topic :
Ive found that if u regularly use ur phone (Whatsappp, browsing, etc etc , regular = 3 hrs out of 10hrs), Using normal mode will save more battery.

Ive tried several combinations for regular use.

Battery saving mode = 2 core online, often maxed clock due to regular browsing with 3g data. Current usage = 0.7mA.
Normal Mode = 4 cores online, variable clocking, data showed mostly around 594mhz and 918mhz . Current usage = 0.6mA
Perfomance Mode = 4 cores online, often maxed at 1728mhz. Current Usage = 0.9mA.

My mode = 4 cores online. max clock 918,always sit at 594mhz and drop instantenously to 384 when my finger off the phone. powersave governor. Currrent usage = 0.5mA.

This shows that , Actually u need to set the powermode accordingly to your use. Since in Saving mode, the core 2 max 918 all the time, uses more current then 4 cores at 594mhz.

Though, this data i provided is not absolute, Of course i prefer to run normal mode for its smoothness. Battery saving and Mymode is just a pain ( i cant stand microlag.OCD? lol ).

Note : if u are a light user, use powersaving mode. it idles at 0.2mA and small wakelock will not trigger it to high clock, thus more saving.

CM10.2 should give better battery time when its fully released. Currently CM10.2 have too many wakelock issues. RILJ and Wifi eat 40% of the deepsleep. Thus making miui a better rom for now (miui drains due its crappy coding and rubbish inside, but no wakelocks makes it better in term of battery).

On topic :
Ive found that if u regularly use ur phone (Whatsappp, browsing, etc etc , regular = 3 hrs out of 10hrs), Using normal mode will save more battery.

Ive tried several combinations for regular use.

Battery saving mode = 2 core online, often maxed clock due to regular browsing with 3g data. Current usage = 0.7mA.
Normal Mode = 4 cores online, variable clocking, data showed mostly around 594mhz and 918mhz . Current usage = 0.6mA
Perfomance Mode = 4 cores online, often maxed at 1728mhz. Current Usage = 0.9mA.

My mode = 4 cores online. max clock 918,always sit at 594mhz and drop instantenously to 384 when my finger off the phone. powersave governor. Currrent usage = 0.5mA.

This shows that , Actually u need to set the powermode accordingly to your use. Since in Saving mode, the core 2 max 918 all the time, uses more current then 4 cores at 594mhz.

Though, this data i provided is not absolute, Of course i prefer to run normal mode for its smoothness. Battery saving and Mymode is just a pain ( i cant stand microlag.OCD? lol ).

Note : if u are a light user, use powersaving mode. it idles at 0.2mA and small wakelock will not trigger it to high clock, thus more saving.
How are you doing "My mode". At this moment I use Saving Mode, but I want to set your mode.

Can anyone explain what exactly MIUI do when we choose 'Power Saving' mode in battery ?

Does it under-clock the CPU ?
Does it switch off data at intervals ? (Didn't see any of that, but there is chance I missed it.)
Does it alter screen brightness etc. ?

Or it there anything else that it does ?

Background : I got my new Xiaomi MI2S and the battery seems to be giving only 10 hours with moderate usage, auto-brightness off and brightness set at about 10%. I also have calibrated the battery properly.

Just looking for some answers to find exact cause for this issue.Thanks in advance :)

@bellus_charm, what is your screen on time? I just started using my Mi2S as well, and am pretty happy with the battery life. I get about 4.5-5 hours of screen on time (using the 918MHz mod). Also, as far as I know, batteries used on phones like the Mi2S do not require calibration.

Power save mode does underclock (to 918MHz). You can use any CPU control tool to check this. I'm not sure about how many cores are online, but I assume two of them go offline in power save.

Let me know if I can help further!

How are you doing "My mode". At this moment I use Saving Mode, but I want to set your mode.

"My mode = 4 cores online. max clock 918,always sit at 594mhz and drop instantenously to 384 when my finger off the phone. powersave governor. Currrent usage = 0.5mA."

You can set this yourself with any CPU control tool, for eg. No Frills CPU. You need to select 'Normal mode', and max clock 918MHz. Set governor to ondemand.

Cheers!