[MOD][MIUI GB] Skip track via volume press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Thomson

Staff Developer
May 10, 2011
There seemed to be quite a few people requesting this feature so I came up with the following Mod :-

Volume Control +

While the phone's screen is off and Music is playing, long pressing the Volume Buttons will skip tracks either forward or backwards. While the phone's screen is off and No Music is playing. Short presses will adjust the Volume.
When the screen is on (even if the phone is locked) the volume buttons control the volume as normal.

This should work with any Music player not just MIUI Music, just make sure you have your favorite player listed as the default Music program.

Make sure you use the version that matches your version of MIUI. Otherwise bad things will happen. It's been tested on my Galaxy S and has also confirmed as working on a few other phones (see the posts to see if your phone is listed).

As with all Mods there is no guarantee it will work on every phone so I recommend the following install procedure.

1. Download the Mod you require from the links below and save to your SDCARD
2. Reboot to Recovery and do a Nandroid Backup
3. FLASH THE MOD!!
4. Reboot (it may take a while to boot the first time, so be patient)

That should be it!! If you get any issues, restore the backup you took in step 2.

**If after flashing you notice no changes please try manually mounting system before flashing again**

If you like this Mod I'd apprieciate it if you could post to let others know if works for your particular phone.

Thanks

DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW

Latest Versions

MANY, MANY THANKS to those who have donated to the Beer fund. It's very much appreciated..

abfreo
dunc001
ibCurlyFry

does this also interfere with 4 way reboot?? i tested the 1.6.3 mod on my desire z running 1.6.10 and also had 4 way reboot working but the only problem was that it made my lockscreen notification bar grey instead of transparent.

im not at all familiar with adb so i guess ill just never have this mod on my phone, hopefully the chinese will implement it one day with official miui release cus this is a awesome feature that i truly miss from cm7

im not at all familiar with adb so i guess ill just never have this mod on my phone, hopefully the chinese will implement it one day with official miui release cus this is a awesome feature that i truly miss from cm7

You really don't need to be familiar with adb to implement this mod. I've probably over complicated things with my instructions?
If you like, tell me what phone you have and I'll attach a recovery zip file that you can apply if the mod doesn't work.

does this also interfere with 4 way reboot?? i tested the 1.6.3 mod on my desire z running 1.6.10 and also had 4 way reboot working but the only problem was that it made my lockscreen notification bar grey instead of transparent.

Hi. I'm afraid applying this will undo the excellent 4-way reboot mod. Both mods require a change to the android.policy.jar.

I have the htc evo
So what is it that I need to do just flash zip thru recovery ?

I can always do a nandroid back up incase the mod doesn't work

I have the htc evo
So what is it that I need to do just flash zip thru recovery ?

I can always do a nandroid back up incase the mod doesn't work

Thats right. Just copy to your sdcard and flash via recovery.
Let me know how it goes...

DUDE U R ****IN AWESOME !!
worked like a charm on htc evo and I still have 4 way reboot :)
And the best thing is that it works with power amp ..u just made my phone perfect

Thank u VERY MUCH

Edit : no 4 way boot but I don't care there are apps on the market for that still awesome mod it even works with pandora :)

version for 1.6.3 keeps me 4 way boot! just leaves grey lockscreen notification bar :(, 1.6.10 works great! no grey notification bar but no 4 way reboot :(

Thanks for the feedback guys.. Great to know that is working for you..

I might ask roenano if he minds if I combine this mod with the 4 Way Reboot mod so you don't have to choose one or the other.

Is the android policy jar the same across all devices for miui? I thought they might be different.

Sent from my MB525 using the miuiandroid.com forum app

Is the android policy jar the same across all devices for miui? I thought they might be different.

They may well be different, that's why I recommend a back up of the andriod.policy.jar before applying this mod.

That said so far this mod is confirmed as working on a Samsung Galaxy S, Moto Defy and HTC Evo.

They may well be different, that's why I recommend a back up of the andriod.policy.jar before applying this mod.

That said so far this mod is confirmed as working on a Samsung Galaxy S, Moto Defy and HTC Evo.

Care to share your exact changes? Saves me decompiling and doing a diff :) Thanks.

Ok so the files are identical except for 3 window managment files. 2 only present in your mod and then the main windows management smali file. ASo i guess they are identical and now i know your changes. :)

Great work!!!!!!
I'll try to implement it, with your permission, to my automodder so people using 4way reboot don't have to choose between one of them.

Hy... I know nothing about adb... I have motorola milestone.... so can I upload it like an update with open recovery?

EDIT: I applyed via update and it works fine. But what I don't like is that when screen is off, I can't change volume. It always skip tracks. Short press or log press is the same... Can it be fixed? It would be great if short press changes volume, and long press change track.

anyway... great work !

Great work!!!!!!
I'll try to implement it, with your permission, to my automodder so people using 4way reboot don't have to choose between one of them.

Hi. That would be great. It makes sense to combine the two Mods.
There are three files involved in this Mod. If you decompile the android.policy.jar containing this mod, you'll see two new files, PhoneWindowManager$VolumnLongPressF.smali & PhoneWindowManager$VolumnLongPressR.smali. You'll need those, I've also modified PhoneWindowManager.smali.
Hope that helps you? If you need any help just ask...

Thanks

Hy... I know nothing about adb... I have motorola milestone.... so can I upload it like an update with open recovery?

EDIT: I applyed via update and it works fine. But what I don't like is that when screen is off, I can't change volume. It always skip tracks. Short press or log press is the same... Can it be fixed? It would be great if short press changes volume, and long press change track.

anyway... great work !

Hi.. That's not really a bug, that's how it's designed to work. If you need to adjust the volume just press the home key to wake the screen (there's no need to unlock the phone) then adjust the volume. I think using the same key for different function has the potential to be very annoying. If you where running it would be easy to skip tracks when all you wanted was to turn the sound up!!!

Hi.. That's not really a bug, that's how it's designed to work. If you need to adjust the volume just press the home key to wake the screen (there's no need to unlock the phone) then adjust the volume. I think using the same key for different function has the potential to be very annoying. If you where running it would be easy to skip tracks when all you wanted was to turn the sound up!!!

To be honest i agree with him though. I'm used to the Cyanogenmod implementation, volume long press when screen is off skips track short press still adjusts volume.

Is it possible to do it as a separate mod? :)

To be honest i agree with him though. I'm used to the Cyanogenmod implementation, volume long press when screen is off skips track short press still adjusts volume.

Is it possible to do it as a separate mod? :)

Wow are yall serious ?
Some people are NEVER satisfied

BD2-1.png
BRiLLiANT DESiGNZ

It's called constructive criticism or just a suggestion. Andy can tell me to eff off and i will be happy with that. I don't expect anything off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.