Need to upgrade Redmi Note 9 Pro Global (Joyeuse) MIUI12.0.3 QJZMIXM to MIUI14

Mr.Dang

Members
May 11, 2023
Hi guys,

I have been following you for a long time, however, this is my first post here. So, thank you first of all for your informative guides and tips.

As mentioned in the title, I have a Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse) that is on MIUI Global 12.0.3 Stable (12.0.3.0 QJZMIXM) – this is the original system version that came with the device. Technically, I received it as an update three months after I bought the phone two years ago. I have never received any update ever since. My Android version is 10 (10 QKQ1.191215.002).

Quite certain of not receiving any updates any soon, I decided I needed to upgrade it myself, especially after MIUI 14 release.

What I tried so far is the Updater trick:
- Downloaded the rom into internal storage

- Downloaded current rom and placed it in the same folder

- Picked the old rom in the Updater app (choose update package), then it asked to reboot,

- Renamed the new rom and deleted the old rom

- Rebooted

Unfortunately, this wasn’t successful with a message that read “Can't Verify Update – Can’t flash this stable ROM”

I used the official recovery ROM from here:

https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/joyeuse/stable/V14.0.3.0.SJZMIXM/

I used the same method with other stable official global ROMs as well but no success.

Some questions:
- Is it possible to upgrade my current 12.0.3.0 QJZMIXM directly to 14.0.3.0 SJZMIXM?

- Can I do just that without unlocking the Bootloader (using the recovery mode)? – (I don’t mind unlocking it; just want to keep it as simple as possible)

- Can I relock the Bootloader after upgrading?

Sorry if these sound like noob questions to you – I have no previous flashing experience and I am afraid of bricking the device. Plus, if successful, I plan to do the same with two similar devices of family members (both Note 9 Pro).

It will be a big help if you can refer me to a detailed tutorial. Any detail is much appreciated.

Thank you guys

Last edited:
This isn't a forum for the "official" rom as you appear to be trying to upgrade.
This forum is for a modified version of the official rom which has a few improvements and benefits, but also makes it difficult to help you as they're not natively interchangeable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at the official Xiaomi Mi Flash tool. Good luck.

This isn't a forum for the "official" rom as you appear to be trying to upgrade.
This forum is for a modified version of the official rom which has a few improvements and benefits, but also makes it difficult to help you as they're not natively interchangeable.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at the official Xiaomi Mi Flash tool. Good luck.

Thank you sir_bazz -- I will read more about that tool and maybe will install the Eu version in future.

One last question please, is it possible/easy to return to the official rom after I have installed this or any custom rom (for warranty/bugs or whatever reason)?

Thank you

Thank you sir_bazz -- I will read more about that tool and maybe will install the Eu version in future.

One last question please, is it possible/easy to return to the official rom after I have installed this or any custom rom (for warranty/bugs or whatever reason)?

Thank you
The Mi Flash tool provides the method for reverting from a custom rom to the stock rom as well.