New To Xiaomi - Little Advice

showstopper

Members
Jul 6, 2016
Hi all,

I've had a little look around the forum but my question is:

I have just bought a Redmi Pro 3 and I have heard a lot of people saying to flash the eu rom when you get it.
Is this necessary or do i need to see what is on the phone first? I will need gapps.

Thanks!

EDIT - Should probably say that i am in the UK

Hello, difficult to answer your question!
You may receive the phone with Gapps, but some programs in Chinese. At this point it is advisable to install a ROM eu.
Everyone here in the forum, prefer the European ROM, this is our motive

Depends on the ROM you got in the phone and if you have some problems with it. Some sellers flash some cooked fake global ROM. I would suggest you take your time, register your account and explore your phone and MIUI. Register on the miui forum, there is a ton od good info. If you have China Rom, search MIUI forum for Google installer, it is a small app that allows you to install other gapps.
You could Flash EU ROM later.

I'm also newbie in the UK with the Redmi pro3 (just over a week ago) I think I'm using the EU rom everything is in English what i've seen on it so far.
Would be useful to know what other rom options there are available thou? and how easy they're to install as i've heard loads about bricking the phone

China ROM has only english and chinese. EU ROM from this forum has multiple languages. The only way to be sure what ROM you have is to look at Settings-->About Phone, under MIUI version. You can post a screenshot here if you like.
Installing other ROMs can be tricky if you are not familiar with flashing, command prompt/console etc.
Your phone should have locked bootloader which prevents installing custom recovery and that is needed for custom ROM, xiaomi.exu multilanguage included. There are some tutorials about how to do it with locked BL, but I'm not comfortable with this. I ordered my phone from seller that ships untouched phones with stock ROM. I unlocked the BL first, then flashed TWRP recovery and from that stable multi ROM from this site.

EU roms seem to be a little more optimized.
There are also CM roms, that apparently work pretty well (they might be even faster than miui, since they are close to stock Android), but without kernel sources I doubt they will ever be as good as miui ones.
I am running miui 8 6.6.23 and even if it's a beta I didn't find any trouble at all.

China ROM has only english and chinese. EU ROM from this forum has multiple languages. The only way to be sure what ROM you have is to look at Settings-->About Phone, under MIUI version. You can post a screenshot here if you like.
Installing other ROMs can be tricky if you are not familiar with flashing, command prompt/console etc.
Your phone should have locked bootloader which prevents installing custom recovery and that is needed for custom ROM, xiaomi.exu multilanguage included. There are some tutorials about how to do it with locked BL, but I'm not comfortable with this. I ordered my phone from seller that ships untouched phones with stock ROM. I unlocked the BL first, then flashed TWRP recovery and from that stable multi ROM from this site.
I've looked in the settings at the MIUI version, I would of posted a screen shot but I don't how yet to get screen dumps but the version is MIUI Global 7.3 / stable 7.3.2.0.0 (LHPCNDD)

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like i would like to flash to stock eu rom, from what i have read. Easier to do it when nothing is on it, then to have to back up stuff in the future!!

Can anyone link to the latest guide and most stable firmware please?

@andi13
That's not the official ROM. there is no global ROM for Redmi 3.
This is a screenshot from official 7.3 stable ROM:
http://imgur.com/IBWkLtG
Notice there is no word "Global" in the version string.
In the meantime the 7.5 stable is released.
Here you can find official chinese (no gapps!) ROMs:
http://en.miui.com/download-298.html
Read the flashing guide, if you want stock chinese rom, try the methods described there.
Fastboot rom is "special", you can overwrite with it if you soft brick your phone.

Screenshot:
1. you have a icon for that in notification shade
2. press volume down+power together

@showstopper
You need to ulock bootloader first:
http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html
http://xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader/

Then you can install custom recovery, there are a lot of links, just search.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-3/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-0-0-touch-recovery-t3340118
Immediately after you get custom recovery flash xiaomi.eu ROM with it.

For everything else:
http://en.miui.com/forum-90-1.html

Reactions: showstopper
Thanks for the screenshot help first of all. Here's what ROM I'm running
Screenshot_2016-07-08-06-18-51_com.android.settings.png

may i know Is this a fake or genuine version and im from india.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-11-12-20-43_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-11-12-20-43_com.android.settings.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 236
hello. i am new to xiaomi and i just received my redmi 3 pro today... all i know is that is doesnt have a chinese ROM because it has multiple languages to choose from. can you please tell me if a have an official global rom or just one cooked by the sellers?! thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-11-15-47-56_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-11-15-47-56_com.android.settings.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 218
hello. i am new to xiaomi and i just received my redmi 3 pro today... all i know is that is doesnt have a chinese ROM because it has multiple languages to choose from. can you please tell me if a have an official global rom or just one cooked by the sellers?! thanks
Not Official, but do not worry

So far so good. i didn't see any problems with the rom. i'm still getting used with Miui but it's ok. the phone came with google play ,gmail and chrome installed. so far i didn't see any chinese app installed. i cant seem to find the remote control app wich controles my tv. any sugestions?

@showstopper
You need to ulock bootloader first:

Then you can install custom recovery, there are a lot of links, just search.

Immediately after you get custom recovery flash xiaomi.eu ROM with it.

For everything else:

Sorry just double checking the guides and it say's to unlock the BL you need to be running China developer rom. My device has MIUI Global 7.3 | Stable 7.3.5.0 (LHPCDB)

Does that mean that it is already unlocked and I can flash to EU Global 7.5.1.0? Or do I need to flash to China developer ROM, guessing i can do that with a locked BL?

OK so i am following the guide and everytime i try to install the china dev rom it says "Can't verify update"
I have Mi PC suite and i get no driver issues in windows. I then reboot to recovery and windows fails to install the ADB driver - so i cannot connect.

Any ideas grateful!

I am trying to install - miui_HM3_6.7.14_d684f5a8a4_5.1.zip
Which should be the chinese developer rom - which should then let me unlock the bootloader.