New TWRP, 21 languages, Nandroid Backup (1401), Global Rom compatible

I'm running Xiaomi EU weekly beta and I find that the 3.2.3.1 recovery hangs on the teamwin splash screen indefinitely.
The 1208 version works though.

I'm running Xiaomi EU weekly beta and I find that the 3.2.3.1 recovery hangs on the teamwin splash screen indefinitely.
The 1208 version works though.

I bet it's the EU's fault......;p

No issues with pitchblack recovery 3.2.3 and current xiaomi.eu weekly.

Reactions: pittrich67
Hi ! I have a mi 8 Global Version on Global Dev Rom 9.1.17. If I have understand After unlock it I do Flash Twrp Dipper 1208 on Fastboot Restart to Recovery with your update post. On Twrp format my data and flash Xiaomi.eu Rom Dev 9.1.17 and wipe cache & Dalvik but I can Flash Twrp 3231 before Reboot ? Or do start phone and Flash Twrp 3231 on Fastboot again ? Thank you.

Hi ! I have a mi 8 Global Version on Global Dev Rom 9.1.17. If I have understand After unlock it I do Flash Twrp Dipper 1208 on Fastboot Restart to Recovery with your update post. On Twrp format my data and flash Xiaomi.eu Rom Dev 9.1.17 and wipe cache & Dalvik but I can Flash Twrp 3231 before Reboot ? Or do start phone and Flash Twrp 3231 on Fastboot again ? Thank you.

OK. Again, a little guide if you have installed the Global Rome. It is important that a USB-OTG stick is available on which the Rome is to be installed.
1. Go to Fastboot mode
2. Install dipper1208.img
3. Restart the device with power and volume + key to enter the recovery mode.
4. Install the new Rome from the USB OTG stick.
5 The installation of dipper3231.img will only work if a Custom Rom is installed.

Reactions: ggkameleon
OK. Again, a little guide if you have installed the Global Rome. It is important that a USB-OTG stick is available on which the Rome is to be installed.
1. Go to Fastboot mode
2. Install dipper1208.img
3. Restart the device with power and volume + key to enter the recovery mode.
4. Install the new Rome from the USB OTG stick.
5 The installation of dipper3231.img will only work if a Custom Rom is installed.

Thank you :). But I haven't install Global Rom ! I have buy a mi 8 Global and comes with Global Rom directly. I have just install Global Dev Rom with updater & lock bootloader because is a Global Xiaomi mi 8.

Ok ! I have an usb type-c otg key Sandisk.
I can use Twrp1208 on Custom too ?

But for install Custom over Global I do to factory reset only or do to format data and flash DM Verity Encryption Remover ?
Thanks.

When your Bootloader is locked, you can`t install twrp.

When a global Rom is installed, you need wipe Cache / ART/ Dalvik and format data, after this you can install any custom rom for your Phone. Thie is only requiered for the first install of a custom rom, when you flash every week the xiaomi.eu Rom you dont need format data

The DM Verity Encryption Remover is not requiered. You need only for root your Phone magisk 18.0, don`t use any beta Version of Magisk

You can use dipper1208.img for both Roms (Global and Custom)

Last edited:
Reactions: ggkameleon

When a global Rom is installed, you need wipe Cache / ART/ Dalvik and format data, after this you can install any custom rom for your Phone. Thie is only requiered for the first install of a custom rom, when you flash every week the xiaomi.eu Rom you dont need format data

The DM Verity Encryption Remover is not requiered. You need only for root your Phone magisk 18.0, don`t use any beta Version of Magisk

Thank you so much ;-) two weeks for have a good tuto . it's right now.
Have a good day.

Hi ! Sorry if I want Root after Flash The Custom Rom I flash The DM Verity Encryption Remover and Magisk 18 it's right ?
1 Unlock BL
2 Flash TWRP
3 Wipe Cache/Dalvik & Format Data
4 Flash Custom Rom Xiaomi.eu ---> Reboot System if no want Root
5 Flash DM Verity remove Encryption
6 Flash Magisk 18 and wipe Cache/Dalvik and Reboot System.

So I tried to restore twrp backups of this rom for the first time yesterday and both 9.1.17 and 9.1.24 restore had the same issue.
Both backups had no screen lock and consisted of data, system and boot partition.

After restoring (nova) Launcher wouldn't work. Empty desktop and only task manager and notification bar would open.
Tried unrooting, wiping cache / dalvik but no luck. Only way to get my backups to work was re-flashing the Rom installer from twrp.

Am I missing something?
Do I need to include more than data system and boot when backing up xiaomi.eu install on the mi 8?

No such issues on my mi pad 4.

How to step flash twrp MI 8 EE (ursa) 3231 because I flash twrp but it has no anything it bootloop. I wipe all data

Twrep relatore After backup doesn t work, must reinstall rom ti get It run (without wiping) and screen block and fingerprint doesnt work After restore.

Did this happen with pther twrp version? Is this solveble with this twrp?

Same issue here, Restore won't work - no launcher showing after SIM unlock.
Only after dirtyflashing the xiaomi.eu ROM over the restored twrp backup it'll work.

@Firedance61
Which partitions are required for a working xiaomi.eu twrp backup on the MI 8 ?
Just system, data and boot ?

Same issue here, Restore won't work - no launcher showing after SIM unlock.
Only after dirtyflashing the xiaomi.eu ROM over the restored twrp backup it'll work.

@Firedance61
Which partitions are required for a working xiaomi.eu twrp backup on the MI 8 ?
Just system, data and boot ?

Well turns out the information by the OP isn't correct.....yes you can flash 3.2.3.1 without problems on a xiaomi.eu custom rom and installing/flashing stuff will work just fine but either during backing up or restoring backups it'll break again.
No error messages or anything during backup or restore but after trying to boot a restored backup it'll mess up. Everything up to SIM unlock will work but then once the launcher should start it stops.
Launcher will not work. Only task manager and for a brief period of time the notification bar and settings(assuming you have settings and not search setup as the icon in notification bar)

Only way to actually run a 3.2.3.1 twrp restore is reflashing the ROM afterwards.

I've tried:
.) TWRP-3.2.3.1-FireDance-Edition
.) PitchBlack-Recovery v2.9.0 v2 (20181227-1829)

I've experimented with backups with/without any screen lock being active, rooted or unrooted, disabled every available optional feature in Pitchblack-Recovery, tried both stock MIUI Launcher and Nova Launcher as default launcher before making the backups - outcome is always the same.

tl;dr
DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT TWRP 3.2.3-1208 ON RECENT MIUI OR XIAOMI.EU "CUSTOM" ROMS IF YOU PLAN TO USE BACKUPS

Last edited:
Well turns out the information by the OP isn't correct.....yes you can flash 3.2.3.1 without problems on a xiaomi.eu custom rom and installing/flashing stuff will work just fine but either during backing up or restoring backups it'll break again.
No error messages or anything during backup or restore but after trying to boot a restored backup it'll mess up. Everything up to SIM unlock will work but then once the launcher should start it stops.
Launcher will not work. Only task manager and for a brief period of time the notification bar and settings(assuming you have settings and not search setup as the icon in notification bar)

Only way to actually run a 3.2.3.1 twrp restore is reflashing the ROM afterwards.

I've tried:
.) TWRP-3.2.3.1-FireDance-Edition
.) PitchBlack-Recovery v2.9.0 v2 (20181227-1829)

I've experimented with backups with/without any screen lock being active, rooted or unrooted, disabled every available optional feature in Pitchblack-Recovery, tried both stock MIUI Launcher and Nova Launcher as default launcher before making the backups - outcome is always the same.

tl;dr
DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT TWRP 3.2.3-1208 ON RECENT MIUI OR XIAOMI.EU "CUSTOM" ROMS IF YOU PLAN TO USE BACKUPS
Racap
I install 3.2.3.1 twrp and flashing xiaomi.eu ROM.
I made a full nandroid backup and if I want to restore my backup I can but on reboot I re install twrp.
After that all works fine?
Is it true?

please test yourself!!

No, I didn't have to reflash twrp/recovery while using pitchblack recovery or twrp 3.2.3.1-firedance.
I had to reflash the xiaomi.eu ROM I was trying to restore.

So to run a xiaomi.eu weekly 9.1.24 twrp restore that actually works I had to reflash xiaomi.eu 9.1.24 weekly installer.
Otherwise everything but task manager and notification bar was broken.

Last edited:
With twrp it's been impossible to make a nandroid backup since Android 7 because not all data is backed up by some apps.

?
Note 4x, android 7 - no issues with twrp restores
Mi pad 4 android 8.1 - no issues with twrp restore
Sony Xperia x performance, Android 9 - no issues with twrp restore

This was the first device I've ever ever had issues with restoring backups

Hi ! I have time this week for unlock and flash Twrp and Xiaomi.eu Custom Rom on my mi 8 Global version and just to see again all before make it what I see ??? Twrp official for mi 8 ;-) But I do use the Twrp 1208 but now I do use the official or only the unofficial ? Thank you
https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi8.html

I recommend that you test the official twrp and then tell us if nandroid backups can be restored succesfully.

Reactions: HighTory
No, only flash magisk 18.0
Hi ! Just for said thank you I had flash the Twrp 1208 and Xiaomi EU Rom with your tuto and work fine ;-)
Now I don't know if I flash the new Twrp Firedance or Official ? I don' make nandroid.
But I think I don't backup my Efs and Boot ! I can backup it after flash Xiaomi Eu Rom my mi 8 are global version ?
Thank againhave a good day ;-)

I don't know why but after flashing the twrp it reboots normally. Cannot enter any twrp other than 3.2.2.
I'm on xiaomi.eu 9.1.24

Already done, but after flashing the recovery, with the command fastboot boot recoveryname.img it goes to Mi logo (unlocked) - black screen - mi logo (unlocked) - system.
No recovery