Newbie M2 questions

qbert456

Members
Feb 20, 2013
Firstly I have searched this site but can't see obvious answers to these questions so sorry if they are here.
I am about to get my new M2 from iBuygou so have so initial novice things to ask.

What is the difference (if any) between a JLB rom (which I assume is still MIUI) and the miuiandroid rom on here?

I will be looking to put one of these roms on the phone as soon as possible so intend to follow this guide
http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/a-simple-update-guide-for-xiaomi-m2.18942/

I can't quite get a dumbed down explanation about the dual boot stuff - people mention flashing one and leaving the other as stock in case it goes wrong - when I get the phone out of the box new it will have 2 identical partitions yes? which one is best to update or is there really no difference?

I apologise for these probably obvious questions but I come from using XDA for years and CWM on my HTC/Samsung so even getting recovery mode will require searching!

I expect my new phone to attract a bit of attention so if people are to come on board and get one too these initial steps and ease of doing them could be the stumbling block if it's too hard to phathom - and no one wants a brick within minutes of opening the box (which I've done a few times over the years... difference is sending this phone to be fixed might be trickier than a phone with proper UK presence)

I don't suppose anyone with 5 min to spare could write a short snappy guide to the steps they took from box open to miuiandroid could they? (pretty please)

Thanks in advance.

edit:

so maybe i should just try this!?!
http://miuiandroid.com/community/th...fter-receiving-the-new-mi2.19504/#post-153543

(blush)

JLB are stable roms without root, Development roms are just that... All the custom roms are based on that.

Devroms are rooted by default.

AOSP are holo based roms, aka untouched Android.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: qbert456
Good questions. I bought my Mi-2 from ibuygou also back in October and got it in November. When you get the phone, pay the extra forty bucks for the 3100 mah battery and case, it's worth it! The stock rom is JLB which is a stable version so download the development version and save it as update.zip. After you turn your phone on, hold down the power button and reboot into recovery mode. Install the update.zip to either partition 1 or 2 and wait for it to install. (doesn't matter which one.) After you get your phone setup the way you want it just make sure to create a backup. The development version is the most up to date rom with weekly updates. With it comes force closes and sending bug reports but you are apart of making the rom better.

Reactions: qbert456
Thanks, it came today
5yty5ata.jpg

Should I use the JLB rom (which is on this sub forum) or the miuiandroid rom on the main page v5?

Yeah go straight for v5, its damn nice.

If you prefer unmodified android looks then go for the aosp ROM.

I would play around with JLB a little just to give you something to compare V5 with. Don't get me wrong, V5 is awesome, so you can run JLB on one partition and V5 on the other.

So I updated the stock rom on one partition and on the other I put and am using the v5 3.3.1 from the main page here.
JLB is the stock one that this far I've only updated on the other partition?
Is it a case of simply booting into the other one or do I have to wipe?

I'm very pleased so far overall, the unlit buttons is the hardest thing to get used to!

Thanks for your replies ;)

Yes, you restart the phone and hold the volume up button till the mi recovery screen comes on. Pick reboot then it will let you choose which partition to boot in to. Glad you are happy with V5!!

Thanks,I thought I'd give the other boot a try last night but it booted to a black screen but the toggles worked.
I booted back into miuiandroid and all was fine again.had to re allow root permissions but otherwise fine.

Should I have wiped cache?
No big deal was just nosing really...

Aside from the permanent carrier name on the to bar it's pretty much perfect this phone!

Well that was a very newbie question of me.. I found answer from here which makes it very clear that it doesn't include the original market app.