New No Push Notification - A Possible Solution?

Lomax84

Members
Oct 9, 2015
Hi guys,

I found how to solve the annoyng notification bug on mi Xiaomi redmi 2 note.
I had this bug only on wifi with 5.9.24 multi, 5.10.9 ita, aosp.
I hope this will work for you also. Give a try.

Me and this forum are not responsable for any damage to your device. Do this at your own risk

Why this bug?
(jump to the solution if not interested)
The problem is in three letters: GMC. Google Cloud Messaging.
GCM is a platform that apps uses to exchange data and recieve push notifications.
In my case, GCM doesn't work on wifi network.
Why?
It looks that lollipop ask for an ipv6, and some routers don't like this. So the connection is unstable, and GCM does'nt work correctly.

How to solve this?
Two ways:
1. Disable ipv6 on your router
2. Disable ipv6 on your smartphone

For the first solution, go to the control panel of your router.
I chose the second one, and here's what i did.
two methods available, simple and advanced.

Simple method
1. Download Ipv6 disable app, launch it and give root access
2. Connect to wifi, launch again the app
3. Check the "Ipv6 status", and turn off the switch

That's it. Now GCM will start to work again, together with push notification.
In the free version you can't flag "remember network", so you have to disable ipv6 every time you connect to wifi.
If you don't like this, buy the full version, or go to the advanced method

Advanced method
You will create a script that disable ipv6 every time you connect to wifi.
Here we go.

1. Download Script Manager and give root access

2. Open Script Manager, select Browse as Root, and navigate to a folder on your phone where you would like to have the script stored (for example SD card)

3. Click the options button and select New Script

4. Name it something relevant, e.g., disable_ipv6

5. In the editor that it opens, go below the "#!/system/bin/sh" line and enter the following:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6

Click the options button and select Save

7. Select the script you just created in SManager and it will open a dialog, at the top select Su and Net, this will run the script as root and do so any time there is a change in the network interface

8. Click Save

Now, whenever you connect to a wireless network, this script should run and disable ipv6. You can test this by disabling wifi, enabling it, and verifying that there is a 1 in the file /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6.

All done. Your notification should now be back and work correctly.
For the lazy ones, here is the script. Just copy and paste in your sdcard and skip points 3, 4, 5 and six (if this don't work, don0t be lazy and create your own script!)

Verification
open disable ipv6 app and check the switch taht indicates ipv6 status.
or, if you prefer, go to proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6 , and you'll find a "1" inside the file

Important note: I am not an expert of script etc, i took the advanced method from here (copy and paste). All the creadits go to the author of the post. I just understood the link between this guide and the annoyng notification bug.

Having trouble with the script?
I had once, while using google maps in pedestrian mode, with gps and wifi enabled (not connected to any network).
The script started to run again and again, so i opened it with Smanager, unchecked "Su" and "Root", and save.
When I went back home, i thought i had to enable again su and net in the script to get wifi notification work, but there was no need to do this.
So, if you have trouble, just uncheck su and net, and enable again only if needed

Hope this can help.
Good luck and enjoy your xiaomi!

Last edited:
Reactions: Theartist
Thanks. Now I'm getting push notifications and stable connection on wifi while the phone is in standby mode. This bug needs to be solved by the official team.

Thanks. Now I'm getting push notifications and stable connection on wifi while the phone is in standby mode. This bug needs to be solved by the official team.
No worries.
Yeah, in think so, but it looks that nobody cares about it

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

That didn't work for me...I try both solutions...Still notifications are delayed or not coming at all until i open app
I turn my rooter from ipv4/ipv6 to ipv4 only and also i put script on mi4c...

That didn't work for me...I try both solutions...Still notifications are delayed or not coming at all until i open app
I turn my rooter from ipv4/ipv6 to ipv4 only and also i put script on mi4c...
Did you try ipv6 disable?

Did you try ipv6 disable?

I did..I turn off ipv6 and it seems like it turn on auto by default after some mins or hours i dont know...when i open app again later the switch is on...I use only viber and messenger for text so i am really dissapointed with all that miui issue..I return to cm12.1 for now until and if they fix it
Anyway thx for your help and if there is something new let us know :)

I did..I turn off ipv6 and it seems like it turn on auto by default after some mins or hours i dont know...when i open app again later the switch is on...I use only viber and messenger for text so i am really dissapointed with all that miui issue..I return to cm12.1 for now until and if they fix it
Anyway thx for your help and if there is something new let us know :)
Hmmm... Think you should enable autostart for ipv6 disable and smanager and this will do the trick.
By the way, where did you find cm 12.1?

Hmmm... Think you should enable autostart for ipv6 disable and smanager and this will do the trick.
By the way, where did you find cm 12.1?

Ok i will try when i have time for that...Currently i am on Cm12.1 which I found on xda mi4c thread ...I see your phone is Redmi note2 :) cm12.1 have also some issues with notifications but things are better...Also ipv4 only in my home router works good with cm12.1 and thx for that....
Now i am 100% sure that this is a kernel issue of mi4c..Do you think they will ever fix that or they dont have problem with chinese message apps?

it's not an IPv6 problem, it's a wifi bug, you can try to ping the smartphone and when screen off each packet will be lost... also with different rom...

I also make the script works and now i have ipv6 always off but the notifications are the same...its really annoying guys...what wifi bug is this anyway?? None can fix it??

probably this wifi bug is in the kernel, but the main question is:
are the developer going to fix it? or we have to have a device useless?(for me the absence of notifications makes it unusable)

where can I ask this question directly to the developers?

I dont know where you can ask directly...That bug make it useless for me 2...I start to hate that great phone because of that..Strange thing is none give an answer about that problem :/

the most hateful thing is that there are many threads in which this error is highlighted but everyone pretends nothing

Let's be clear.
This thread has nothing to do with the recent wifi bug on hermes.
I've experienxed missing notification since i bought the phone. Whit this trick all works fine for me, so i shared hoping can help. If not, i m sorry, i don't pretend to be an expert.
I am on 5.11 rom, and i will not go further if the "new" wifi bug will not be solved

I dont know any chinese to read their forums and see if they have same problem..I beleivie they don't and i think that my phone(Mi4c) its for china only so we maybe never get a fix for that...I hope I am wrong...
And yeah we dont talk about hermes wifi bug...We talk about notifications problem on wifi

The same thing happens to me in my Redmi Note 2 "MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.11.19 Beta" after locking the screen in about 2 min disconnected from my wireless network and stop receiving notifiaciones. :(

I didn't tested any roms after 5.11.
With 5.11 and all previous i solved with this method

If you solve it, install version 5.11.5 and the WiFi works well :)

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 2 mediante Tapatalk

the wifi started getting to 0k/s again amd whatsapp notifications are delayed, this happens only on miui but never on cm or aosp roms. what could be causing this except ipv6? thank you.

the wifi started getting to 0k/s again amd whatsapp notifications are delayed, this happens only on miui but never on cm or aosp roms. what could be causing this except ipv6? thank you.
I have tried aosp rom and for me the problem was still there. When i found out about ipv6 solution i was on aosp.
Did you already check your settings in security app, permissions etc?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk