No sound via bluetooth on Xiaomi 13 MIUI 14.0.23.9.18.DEV

dgtal1

Members
Oct 18, 2023
Since I started using the DEV ROM, I have been experiencing audio problems via Bluetooth. Yesterday, first it didn't work, then it started, and today it was the other way around - it first worked, then suddenly stopped. There is no sound, i.e. I can only hear a faint "pop" in the headphones, and then the headphones restarted (it has never happened to me on another phone and I used them with 3 others), so they apparently received some completely incorrect data package from the phone. There is also no sound received from the headphones' microphone.

The problems concern both the headphones and the multimedia set in the car - I tested both and the problem was the same. The device connects, but there is no sound in both directions.

It happens suddenly, i.e. I was listening to music on BT headphones, then I stopped, the phone rang with the headphones connected and suddenly there was no sound. Then you can turn off Bluetooth on your phone, put it in airplane mode, disconnect and reconnect the headphones - nothing helps.

Only restarting the phone helps (luckily). MIUI 14.0.23.9.18.DEV. I had no such problems on stable.

I managed to find the sequence that triggers this problem:

1. Connect headphones or other two-way BT equipment to the phone (can be audio in the car)

2. Turn on the music, e.g. in YT Music or another app. Stop the music

3. Lock the phone

4. Receive an incoming phone call (interestingly, the outgoing one does not cause a problem)

Interestingly, after the restart, the phone call itself does not cause this problem, but if we play music first and then answer the phone - it does.

Can anyone test this for themselves or are there any issues like this?

Xiaomi 13, MIUI 14.0.23.9.18.DEV.
When problem is triggered: no sound when calling OR being called on Bluetooth headsets and Car audio.
I first discovered that when connecting the phone to the car audio (and not playing any sound from the phone, no AA), after this it seems the BT stack is dead for transmitting sound.

I cannot reproduce the trigger mentioned in the OP, it seems it happens only when I'm connected to the car BT.
I will test with another car BT soon.
Fixing needs a reboot indeed.

Yes, exactly. The bluetooth stack seems dead when it happens. In my case it doesn't matter whether this is car audio or BT headphones. Bluetooth dies in both cases for me and I need to restart.

I'm really hoping to get some new FUXI ROMs very soon. Maybe it will already be fixed, altough I'm quite afraid that due to major upgrade to Android 14 and MIUI15/Hyper OS many other things will get broken....

Yeah, I was all good with those MIUI14 stable ROMS until I got the Google Play APEX update that soft bricked the phone (of course I discovered the real issue after having reset the phone and lost half a day reinstalling / configuring all on this DEV that seems to fix this root issue at least)

Yes, same for me. I've been using the stable ROM and was totally happy with it until the update made my smartphone dumb and unable to play any media. Only phone calls and chatting worked. I wish there was a stable ROM that is protected from this APEX issue. Maybe in the future but then...again reinstalling everything, reactivating apps etc...a nighmare. Will stick to the dev soft for now at least. In general this dev ROM isn't that bad but this bluetooth issue is a deal breaker for me. Not able to use my phone normnally in my car, not able to use headsets (and of course the jack port isn't there anymore)

No such issues (APEX fixed, bluetooth OK) for me on 14.0.23.9.18 DEV on my Xiaomi 13. I use it for 10 days and not encountered a single issue. But maybe I was lucky...

Last edited:
No such issues (APEX fixed, bluetooth OK) for me on 14.0.23.9.18 DEV on my Xiaomi 13. I use it for 10 days and not encountered a single issue. But maybe I was lucky...
Yes, apparently you were lucky. I can reproduce this practically at any time

Reactions: MITHRILL
I noticed the car audio issue happens on cerdain numbers not all. I have the following behavior:
- call number 1 : all dandy, sound ok (cool it's the wife)
- call number 2 : call rejected after 2 seconds like the person is off the grid (but then I should be redirected to the audio message). Worst scenario is soft reboot when calling but it's not predictable. While dialing occurring if I switch fast enough to loudspeaker all is good.

What are the difference with the 2 numbers? Well same international prefixes, located on similar towers, LTE link, but different operators, they are near me)

Even more puzzled with this.

Last edited:
I am using 14.0.23.6.26 fw with pixelexperience rom,
It helps if you turn off/on Bluetooth, then audio does work over Bluetooth

Reactions: MITHRILL
I noticed the car audio issue happens on cerdain numbers not all. I have the following behavior:
- call number 1 : all dandy, sound ok (cool it's the wife)
- call number 2 : call rejected after 2 seconds like the person is off the grid (but then I should be redirected to the audio message). Worst scenario is soft reboot when calling but it's not predictable. While dialing occurring if I switch fast enough to loudspeaker all is good.

What are the difference with the 2 numbers? Well same international prefixes, located on similar towers, LTE link, but different operators, they are near me)

Even more puzzled with this.
I think it's some coincidence. I don';t think this would be relaetd to specific numbers. In my case it occurs for any number.

Did anyone of you try the newest DEV/beta ROM for Xiaomi 13? I would not like to go back to the DEV/beta ROMs as the stable doesn't have this irritating Bluetooth issue, but as you know - Google Wallet stopped working on stable and the fix will only be built in the dev/beta ROMs. I'm hesistant of switching because I will have GWallter working again but I'm afraid that I'll again loose sound over Bluetooth.

Have you tried the newest dev/beta?

I need to say I'm a bit disappointed with this situation and I think I made a imstake when buying y Xioami 13 from China (I wanted the biggest variant 13/512 not available anywhere else outside CHina). Each kind of ROM will have some failing thing: etiether Google Wallet, banking apps (root needed for stable to fix GWallet), bluetooth (previous DEV/beta). I was very happy with the latest stable rebuilt on the 12-th of November - everything worked fine until GWallet failed again.

I'm with the latest developers rom. There is no sound through the phone when the device is connected via bluetooth
What do you mean by this? It's rather a normal behavior - the sound should play only on the Bluetooth device your phone is connected to.

The issue in this thread is different: the sound via Bluetooth stops working and nothing is played nor the mic is working. That was the case at least on 23.9.18 DEV

Bluetooth sound works without problems!
I meant that when it is connected via Bluetooth hands-free, there is no sound on the notifications through the phone. Not so on stable rоm
I'm sorry for my bad English

Bluetooth sound works without problems!
I meant that when it is connected via Bluetooth hands-free, there is no sound on the notifications through the phone. Not so on stable rоm
I'm sorry for my bad English
Ah now I understand. OK, thanks for sharing. So this is what keeps me away form the DEV ROMs. They fix one thing and break another one. Not having notifications sound on a phone when connected via hands free isn't a big deal, but still it's handy. The most important is that the sound via BT is working now on the DEV version. I think I'll wait until the HyperOS stable version is released and then maybe switch to DEV with the release date close to stable.