Nova Launcher losing homescreen settings every night

Chaoscontrol

Members
May 18, 2019
Hi! I switched to xioami.eu about 1 week ago and I'm enjoying it so far. Mi9.

However, there is one thing that keeps bothering me and can't solve.

Every night (yes, I go sleep, and when I wake up it has happened, religiously, every day), Nova Launcher loses some homescreen settings.

Not setting per se, let me explain.

I use a clock widget from Timely. The widget appears unset every morning. I have in-app shortcuts from Slack. Those shortcuts disappear, or sometimes they are still there but if you tap them it says the app is not installed. But it is, i just get Slack from the app drawer again, drop in on the home screen, then create its 2 in-app shortcuts new and they work fine.

The other workaround I found is every morning, I just restore a Nova Settings backup, which re-creates the homescreen.

However, I do not know the cause or what triggers this. I have been playing around the Xiaomi "fantastic" permission management. Activated all permissions for both Timely and Slack, also for Nova. Removed all 3 of them from battery management, and allowed autostart. I trust all 3 apps.

It is weird that it happens every night. It's not when force closing Nova. And the phone doesn't restart at night either. Miui backups happen at night, might that be it? I find it weird. Very.

Attached screenshots.

If someone has any lead, I'll appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-23-12-48-28-938_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-23-12-48-28-938_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 579
  • Screenshot_2019-05-23-07-01-49-323_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-23-07-01-49-323_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 421
Answering myself. Yesterday I tried disabling the automatic daily local backups. Mainly because they don't overwrite themselves, so they had filled my entire storage capacity already.

This morning the homescreen was fine, nothing unset. It seems the Xiaomi local backup was messing up with Nova settings and stuff. Might be some bug, but can't be sure.

experienced the same bug on Pocophone F1 with both Nova Launcher and regular Poco Launcher. Happens with local backups only. Disabled mine a while back so I don't know if this is still a thing but it used to be at least.