Official TWRP for Mi 9 SE

Dav999

Members
Mar 19, 2017
1. Installed twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img from https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=323030 while still on Android 11 latest beta rom
2. Uninstalled Magisk
3. Cleared Caches
4. Installed 21.3.5 dirty
5. Removed Cache again
6. Reboot, login
7. Reboot to Recovery with pin
8. Installed latest Magisk
No issues so far (except UX ones that I'm dealing with but that's different topic)
Didn't try GPay or flashing anything else yet
Ok following my last bad try, I again reinstall from scratch the whole system, I will resume the proper commands, I did here:
  1. Start from Miui global 12.0.3 (so android 10)
  2. Install TWRP:
    1. Boot to fastboot (using Power & Vol -)
    2. Use this command: "fastboot flash recovery twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
  3. I have restarted under Miui after using this (wrong) command: "fastboot boot recovery"
  4. Reboot again under Fastboot
    1. Try to reboot under TRWP with success using this command: "fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
    2. Decryption possible
    3. Reboot to Miui using TWRP to backup images, etc...
  5. Reboot again to fastboot
    1. Reboot again into TRWP using fastboot cmd
    2. Decrypt without pb
    3. Under TWRP place xiaomi.eu WEEKLY 20.12.9 - Android 10 from computer to the phone internal storage
    4. Wipe / swipe to factory reset
    5. Install Weekly 20.12.9 Rom
    6. Wipe cache+dalvik at the end of the flashing
    7. Reboot to Weekly 20.12.9
      1. Here I went to the Mi-recovery...
      2. Back again to fastboot and flash vbmeta using "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
      3. And ****ed again, because the recovery wont decrypt anymore using the pattern !
I will restart my computer and try again from here (just did again a format data !)

KcNirvana

Members
May 19, 2015
Ok following my last bad try, I again reinstall from scratch the whole system, I will resume the proper commands, I did here:
  1. Start from Miui global 12.0.3 (so android 10)
  2. Install TWRP:
    1. Boot to fastboot (using Power & Vol -)
    2. Use this command: "fastboot flash recovery twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
  3. I have restarted under Miui after using this (wrong) command: "fastboot boot recovery"
  4. Reboot again under Fastboot
    1. Try to reboot under TRWP with success using this command: "fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
    2. Decryption possible
    3. Reboot to Miui using TWRP to backup images, etc...
  5. Reboot again to fastboot
    1. Reboot again into TRWP using fastboot cmd
    2. Decrypt without pb
    3. Under TWRP place xiaomi.eu WEEKLY 20.12.9 - Android 10 from computer to the phone internal storage
    4. Wipe / swipe to factory reset
    5. Install Weekly 20.12.9 Rom
    6. Wipe cache+dalvik at the end of the flashing
    7. Reboot to Weekly 20.12.9
      1. Here I went to the Mi-recovery...
      2. Back again to fastboot and flash vbmeta using "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
      3. And ****ed again, because the recovery wont decrypt anymore using the pattern !
I will restart my computer and try again from here (just did again a format data !)
The decryption only works if you go to TWRP from fastboot like fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img

Reactions: Poney70

Dav999

Members
Mar 19, 2017
The decryption only works if you go to TWRP from fastboot like fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img
Yes I noticed that too late .
Anyway, now I'm under the last xiaomi.eu A11 rom, let's see with the next release!

I had for a few times an annoying "error 7" or something like that, which blocked me for a few days to install a xiaomi.eu rom (A10 or A11), I did not understand why, but well this is ok now!

hellfreezover

Members
Aug 29, 2015
So anyone tried this with Android 11?
I tried it, and you have to modify the updater scripts for it to work (need to delete the device name check - as it is a different property in build.prop file...)
it did install, however I can't boot to system... trying to use a different recovery now...

twrp-3.5.1_9-0-grus-TeamWin.img

Last edited:

CzLaci

Members
Mar 23, 2020
So anyone tried this with Android 11?
I tried it, and you have to modify the updater scripts for it to work (need to delete the device name check - as it is a different property in build.prop file...)
it did install, however I can't boot to system... trying to use a different recovery now...

twrp-3.5.1_9-0-grus-TeamWin.img
With this TWRP version I did not start for me. TWRP 3.5.A9 seems to be good.

MI9SE - MIUI 12.5

Reactions: hellfreezover

Amorphis

Members
Apr 3, 2021
Hi, I upgraded MI9SE from 12.2 stable to 12.5 stable. And my previous TWRP is gone. I tried some TWRP. And 3.5.A9 seems to be really good. Another TWRP is not working correctly. But when I reboot to TWRP 3.5.A9 there is no asking my password and data is still encrypted. But when I load this TWRP from fastboot and boot to it by command - fastboot.exe boot recovery.img - then TWRP asks password and decrypts data. So the only way to get data decryped is to boot TWRP from fastboot. Why so?

Amorphis

Members
Apr 3, 2021
I 've tried to use "OrangeFox-R11.0_9-Beta-grus.img"- It was not decrypting data too. Maybe I've done something wrong with my system or boot, but how to figure out what ?

Poney70

Donator
Oct 3, 2019
I 've tried to use "OrangeFox-R11.0_9-Beta-grus.img"- It was not decrypting data too. Maybe I've done something wrong with my system or boot, but how to figure out what ?
Try to use a pattern and not a pin/password for your screen unlock method. :)

Amorphis

Members
Apr 3, 2021
Try to use a pattern and not a pin/password for your screen unlock method. :)
I 've tried a graphic key for unlock instead of pin -after reboot to TWRP from system no password was asked and data was encrypted again.

Maybe Magisk installed leads to such sutuation? I cant understand.

Coolek33

Members
Oct 9, 2017
Clean install means wipe cache, dalvick and data (miui roms). Cache, dalvick, data and system for aosp. Format data is needes sometimes if your storage is encrypted in twrp.

Reactions: geoanto555

hellfreezover

Members
Aug 29, 2015
What exactly do you mean? Factory reset? Wipe all and format data before rom installing ?
Meaning factory reset, and format data, as my data was encrypted.
After that and installation of the TWRP by geonato, it works like a charm, decryption, installs etc....

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Reactions: geoanto555