Official TWRP for Mi 9 SE

1. Installed twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img from https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=323030 while still on Android 11 latest beta rom
2. Uninstalled Magisk
3. Cleared Caches
4. Installed 21.3.5 dirty
5. Removed Cache again
6. Reboot, login
7. Reboot to Recovery with pin
8. Installed latest Magisk
No issues so far (except UX ones that I'm dealing with but that's different topic)
Didn't try GPay or flashing anything else yet

Ok following my last bad try, I again reinstall from scratch the whole system, I will resume the proper commands, I did here:
  1. Start from Miui global 12.0.3 (so android 10)
  2. Install TWRP:
    1. Boot to fastboot (using Power & Vol -)
    2. Use this command: "fastboot flash recovery twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
  3. I have restarted under Miui after using this (wrong) command: "fastboot boot recovery"
  4. Reboot again under Fastboot
    1. Try to reboot under TRWP with success using this command: "fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
    2. Decryption possible
    3. Reboot to Miui using TWRP to backup images, etc...
  5. Reboot again to fastboot
    1. Reboot again into TRWP using fastboot cmd
    2. Decrypt without pb
    3. Under TWRP place xiaomi.eu WEEKLY 20.12.9 - Android 10 from computer to the phone internal storage
    4. Wipe / swipe to factory reset
    5. Install Weekly 20.12.9 Rom
    6. Wipe cache+dalvik at the end of the flashing
    7. Reboot to Weekly 20.12.9
      1. Here I went to the Mi-recovery...
      2. Back again to fastboot and flash vbmeta using "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
      3. And ****ed again, because the recovery wont decrypt anymore using the pattern !
I will restart my computer and try again from here (just did again a format data !)

Ok following my last bad try, I again reinstall from scratch the whole system, I will resume the proper commands, I did here:
  2. Install TWRP:
    2. Use this command: "fastboot flash recovery twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
  3. I have restarted under Miui after using this (wrong) command: "fastboot boot recovery"
    1. Try to reboot under TRWP with success using this command: "fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img"
    2. Decryption possible
    2. Decrypt without pb
    3. Under TWRP place xiaomi.eu WEEKLY 20.12.9 - Android 10 from computer to the phone internal storage
      2. Back again to fastboot and flash vbmeta using "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
      3. And ****ed again, because the recovery wont decrypt anymore using the pattern !
I will restart my computer and try again from here (just did again a format data !)
The decryption only works if you go to TWRP from fastboot like fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img

Reactions: Poney70
The decryption only works if you go to TWRP from fastboot like fastboot boot twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img

Yes I noticed that too late .
Anyway, now I'm under the last xiaomi.eu A11 rom, let's see with the next release!

I had for a few times an annoying "error 7" or something like that, which blocked me for a few days to install a xiaomi.eu rom (A10 or A11), I did not understand why, but well this is ok now!

So anyone tried this with Android 11?
I tried it, and you have to modify the updater scripts for it to work (need to delete the device name check - as it is a different property in build.prop file...)
it did install, however I can't boot to system... trying to use a different recovery now...

twrp-3.5.1_9-0-grus-TeamWin.img

Last edited:
So anyone tried this with Android 11?
I tried it, and you have to modify the updater scripts for it to work (need to delete the device name check - as it is a different property in build.prop file...)
it did install, however I can't boot to system... trying to use a different recovery now...

twrp-3.5.1_9-0-grus-TeamWin.img
With this TWRP version I did not start for me. TWRP 3.5.A9 seems to be good.

MI9SE - MIUI 12.5

Reactions: hellfreezover
Hi, I upgraded MI9SE from 12.2 stable to 12.5 stable. And my previous TWRP is gone. I tried some TWRP. And 3.5.A9 seems to be really good. Another TWRP is not working correctly. But when I reboot to TWRP 3.5.A9 there is no asking my password and data is still encrypted. But when I load this TWRP from fastboot and boot to it by command - fastboot.exe boot recovery.img - then TWRP asks password and decrypts data. So the only way to get data decryped is to boot TWRP from fastboot. Why so?

I 've tried to use "OrangeFox-R11.0_9-Beta-grus.img"- It was not decrypting data too. Maybe I've done something wrong with my system or boot, but how to figure out what ?

I 've tried to use "OrangeFox-R11.0_9-Beta-grus.img"- It was not decrypting data too. Maybe I've done something wrong with my system or boot, but how to figure out what ?
Try to use a pattern and not a pin/password for your screen unlock method. :)

Try to use a pattern and not a pin/password for your screen unlock method. :)
I 've tried a graphic key for unlock instead of pin -after reboot to TWRP from system no password was asked and data was encrypted again.

Maybe Magisk installed leads to such sutuation? I cant understand.

Clean install means wipe cache, dalvick and data (miui roms). Cache, dalvick, data and system for aosp. Format data is needes sometimes if your storage is encrypted in twrp.

Reactions: geoanto555
What exactly do you mean? Factory reset? Wipe all and format data before rom installing ?
Meaning factory reset, and format data, as my data was encrypted.
After that and installation of the TWRP by geonato, it works like a charm, decryption, installs etc....

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Reactions: geoanto555
Hi, I am using this version of TWRP 3.5.A9-H-12-02-2021. Anyone knows what's wrong with this /sdcard content?View attachment 36777
Hello what you see is files encryption, used to protect your data. ;)

Your current TWRP doesn't seem to know how to decrypt your data (should ask your PIN/password/pattern used to unlock the screen of your device). What's your current ROM version?

What you can do:

-> Try to set a pattern, instead of a PIN/password, to unlock the screen of your device.

-> If TWRP doesn't ask your pattern, try to use another TWRP:
Latest Official version => twrp-3.5.2_9-0-grus-TeamWin.img -OR- @geoanto555's version => twrp-3.5.A9-grus-geoanto555.img

:)

Hello i am struggling Installing the twrp recovery is there any clear step by step instructions how to install it correctly???

Last edited:
  2. Install TWRP:
    2. Decryption possible
    2. Decrypt without pb
after trying twrp_grus-MI9SE_3.5.A9_07-03-2021_d-bl.img" its working done
but after install magisk.zip the phone still on mi logo Im think the boot is gone
then i tryed to flash stock boot image to phone and the phone booted successfully but without root
any suuggestions or solution for this .( can it without formating user data ? )
current mi : v12.0.4.0 global

I successfully updated to latest 21.9.8 after restoring hidden Magisk and soft-deleting Magisk (Restore Images). Then followed steps from my previous post. Still using TWRP 3.5.A9_07-03-2021. No issues
How long did you wait after installing Magisk? I think first boot took me 15 min after update but others advise to wait up to 1h. Also, after installing and booting to OS, reboot one more time after install to get rid of system lags but Magisk may have permanent effect on performance

Reactions: Poney70
So today I decided I wanted to flash my phone and reset completely it from all the stuff.
It was kinda laggy lately.

Flashed the official GLOBAL EEA, but turns out that with unlocked bootloader it doens't let me download a few app (like Netflix), so back to Xiaomi.EU.

Trying to reinstall XIAOMI.EU rom with the last twrp 3.5.1 and 3.5.2, but those didn't let me install the rom at all. I had ERROR 7 the whole time.
this package is for "grus" devices; this is a ""

5 minutes ago where I was like, ok no more TWRP, got the REDISPADE recovery from here and it worked like a charm: Mi 9 SE Recovery Redispade

Edit:
Turns out the the _9 at the end of twrp means that its supposed to be used with Android 9 version? Not sure.
There's a fix thru TWRP. Need to go trhu the terminal and type this when you get error 7:
setprop ro.product.device grus
setprop ro.build.product grus

Then flash the ROM.

Trying to reinstall XIAOMI.EU rom with the last twrp 3.5.1 and 3.5.2, but those didn't let me install the rom at all. I had ERROR 7 the whole time.
this package is for "grus" devices; this is a ""
It's a known issue in latest Official TWRP version for grus... :(

Turns out the the _9 at the end of twrp means that its supposed to be used with Android 9 version? Not sure.
No, it only means that the device (grus) was released with Android 9. ;)