OTA Updater Not Working - Mix 4

mrmxyzptlk

Members
Feb 6, 2022
Hello!

I recently purchased a Mix 4 and it actually came pre-installed with the xiaomi.eu rom as opposed to the China ROM. In researching xiaomi.eu I didnt get the impression this is something the manufacturer would do, so I assume it was done after the fact?

Anyway when attempting to use the OTA "Updater" utility I am able to get as far as "Fetching download link, please wait..." after which the updater freezes for ~30 seconds followed by an "Updater isn't responding" dialogue box with [Wait] and [OK] options. Wait results in a looping effect of waiting another 60 seconds for the error prompt, OK force closes updater.

Screenshots below of Android / MIUI builds. Any help would be greatly appreciated - as I did not install this custom build I am wholly unfamiliar with it, so a bit lost on the troubleshooting of this! Though if you can't view images:

- MIUI Version - 12.5.9 (Stable)
- Android version: 11 RKQ1.210503.001

Screenshot_2022-02-06-09-16-26-359_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-02-06-09-16-26-359_com.android.settings.jpg

Hello!

I recently purchased a Mix 4 and it actually came pre-installed with the xiaomi.eu rom as opposed to the China ROM. In researching xiaomi.eu I didnt get the impression this is something the manufacturer would do, so I assume it was done after the fact?

Anyway when attempting to use the OTA "Updater" utility I am able to get as far as "Fetching download link, please wait..." after which the updater freezes for ~30 seconds followed by an "Updater isn't responding" dialogue box with [Wait] and [OK] options. Wait results in a looping effect of waiting another 60 seconds for the error prompt, OK force closes updater.

Screenshots below of Android / MIUI builds. Any help would be greatly appreciated - as I did not install this custom build I am wholly unfamiliar with it, so a bit lost on the troubleshooting of this! Though if you can't view images:

- MIUI Version - 12.5.9 (Stable)
- Android version: 11 RKQ1.210503.001

View attachment 40882

View attachment 40881
Download it on pc, enter the phone in fastboot mode and then run windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat (assuming you have windows pc)

Updater app relies on TWRP, since it's not available for many Android 12 devices and is problematic on some, it fails to update, have to update manually using fastboot.
Thanks for the background! Is the compatibility issue with TWRP on Android 12 something being worked on or will I have to basically be locked into manual updates for the life of the phone?

Edit: One other question - does Xiaomi factory install xiaomi.eu? Or did the reseller have to install this themselves?

Last edited:
It was the same for Android 11 when it first came out, over time more devices will be supported. Reseller had to install xiaomi.eu, xiaomi only ships with either china rom or global if available.

It's improving all the time

I'm running official TWRP but it's not OTG yet. Updater app kept freezing, a known issue, so couldn't reboot to TWRP which would be how OTG should work

I will say: the weekly builds are great. You don't HAVE to update all the time. You also get used to it quick. Plug your phone in and unzip the latest weekly and run the update .bat... a 10 minute job!

But now there is official TWRP I think it's only a matter of time before it's truly OTG. These things take time.

It's improving all the time

I'm running official TWRP but it's not OTG yet. Updater app kept freezing, a known issue, so couldn't reboot to TWRP which would be how OTG should work

I will say: the weekly builds are great. You don't HAVE to update all the time. You also get used to it quick. Plug your phone in and unzip the latest weekly and run the update .bat... a 10 minute job!

But now there is official TWRP I think it's only a matter of time before it's truly OTG. These things take time.
There is twrp but they still havent figure out how to decrypt the partitions properly so they dont use it