other roms available, or will L be coming?

erlkönig

Members
Aug 6, 2013
Hi everyone!

Except of the "missing" gps-module, i really like the specs of mipad, so I think about getting one.
But in the end i don't want to be stuck "forever" on KK, like on 4.1 on my mi2 if m1cha would not exist.
So is there any custom-rom development going on or is this device just locked down on miui (KK).

Waiting for the new "nexus" might be a better idea, but i need/want an sd-card slot.

thanks

The Mi Pad comes with MIUI for tablets. As it's Xiaomi's first tablet it is very new and doesn't have everything that MIUI comes with on their mobiles but we have been assured we will be getting the new MIUI v6 that has just been released and when Google release Android L they will be adapting MIUI to that too.

The next Nexus will be great for you if you want stock Android and want to always have the latest version of Android first (so long as Google support the device). From rumours I have read it will be made by HTC and may have a 64bit Nvidia follow up to the K1 but at what price, will it have sd slot and can you wait? :)

For MIUI support have you checked out - http://en.miui.com/gid-23.html ?

The Mi Pad comes with MIUI for tablets.

yes, that was clear for me somehow but also not really my question. :)

... and when Google release Android L they will be adapting MIUI to that too.
"Maybe" there also are some people in the world which thought that mi2 will get some day an official upgrade from 4.1 to a higher version, so in the end i would not say that "xiaomi will..." unless you know it exactly.
In the end i am willed to pay more for another device if it fits my requirements, is dev friendly and might get official updates soon. ("soon" does not mean it that it gets a upgrade to an version if already a newer version has already been released - or in mi2 case = never.)
The next Nexus will be great for you if you want stock Android and want to always have the latest version of Android first (so long as Google support the device). From rumours I have read it will be made by HTC and may have a 64bit Nvidia follow up to the K1 but at what price, will it have sd slot and can you wait? :)

For MIUI support have you checked out - http://en.miui.com/gid-23.html ?
sure i can wait, the only downside regarding mipad seems to be the software side for me, somehow sad if this will be the only reason why i might won't take it.

What exactly shall i "check out" on miui.com, the only relevant question/thread which i could find was an unanswered request of a stock-android rom for mipad.

Ah sorry. You mentioned about being stuck on KK forever but it will upgrade to Android L when it becomes available as confirmed by Xiaomi for current devices. With the Mi Pad being it's flag ship tablet and MIUI for tablets needing a lot of work (check reviews - there's a few things missing you will be used to in your mobile including themes and security) still I can see support going on for a good while.

Unfortunately it looks like MIUI.com may not help you as it is only for the official MIUI.

As for custom roms I am new to MIUI myself and the Mi Pad is my first Xiaomi device so I know very little about the custom side sorry.

We don’t have a timeline for L at the moment. We don’t even have access to the codebase, no one does. But of course the plan is to bring it as soon as possible.

No bad news but also no really good news, i'm a bit sceptic which such announcements because of my 4.1 flagship device. ;)

Reactions: Trem
Well, if you buy a Xiaomi device, expect to get the Xiaomi experience with it meaning : you'll get optimized hardware for miui rom. MIUI rom should be regarded as a fork of Android. We get plenty of features exclusive from MIUI and Xiaomi gives a lot of software support its own "OS". You shouldn't expect a software development which would be on par with stock Android.

Decided for the mipad, 64gb mipad arrived yesterday.
Pretty cool device, capable of playing back gopro 35mbit 1440p48 "raw" footage, which is really useful in my case.

4.8.22 is a bit laggy and notifications arrive only if the mipad is very motivated, except for this its okay for me so far. :)

Reactions: afat75
personnaly I realy don't care abour android update, I know it bring nothing new and all play store's application are compatible with older versions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
housse galaxy note 3 achat galaxy s5

Last edited:
Decided for the mipad, 64gb mipad arrived yesterday.
Pretty cool device, capable of playing back gopro 35mbit 1440p48 "raw" footage, which is really useful in my case.

4.8.22 is a bit laggy and notifications arrive only if the mipad is very motivated, except for this its okay for me so far. :)
Tried fastboot with miflash tool.. upgrade to dev rom 4.9.1.9 or stable rom.. the one of my device is mipad 64gb too is really awewome device.. if u have some problem about installing blackberry messenger or google + may be i can help you..

You just download the ROM rename it and flash it with recovery - you don't need a PC

Sent from my 16gb Mi Pad (it works)

why?? could you explain better?

Because there is hardly any support from the community. There are no kernel sources (except for a few of the phone models) afaik, etc. So far, there have hardly been any custom roms or development for any of the xiaomi devices.

Because there is hardly any support from the community. There are no kernel sources (except for a few of the phone models) afaik, etc. So far, there have hardly been any custom roms or development for any of the xiaomi devices.
Sad to hear this, since I change from a LG Optimus 2x to Xiaomi Mi2 because I was tired of the disastrous policy of release/upgrade of kernel and drivers from NVIDIA and LG. LG P990 with Android 2.3 when the SG II was already available Android 4.1.

The combination Xiamomi and Qualcomm, promised a lot in that time. The phone was also rooted and it seemed that these people would give better support than established brands. But what you mention, I see that we are in the same situation.